DIY Test Build with Samsung Q-series strips

PurpleGunRack

Recently did a little test build with the Samsung Q-series linear light strips to get my feet wet and learn how to build with these strips before doing a full build to replace the blurples in my secondary tent.

This is a EU style build and it's a bit cheaper to do the build in North America.

The build is serial using a CC driver and basic aluminium U-channels as heatsinks.

The lamp draws 53w and the U-channels I use as heatsinks are cool to the touch after running 12 hours.

The mountings were cheap but a hassle to work with, so next itme I'll use L-channels or threaded rods with nuts and washers ;)

Here the shopping list from the build, including shipping, tax and import fees:

9x 1' Q-series strips(bought 10) from Digikey

1x Meanwell HLG-60H-C700A from TME

3x 1m aluminium U-channels 20mm x 20mm x 2mm from local hardwarestore = $40

4x Wago connectors and 10m 75mm2 solid wire from Conrad Elektronik = $12

1x roll of Ceatech thermal tape 20mm from eBay(from USA, didn't find any in EU) = $48

Mountings, nuts and bolts from local hardware store = $7

Total = $268

Shipping, import fees and stuff like thermal tape (same price as the driver :rofl:) make a small build like this relatively expensive, but that should even out on a full build, and next time I only need strips, drivers and U-channels, all the small bits are in stock :)

I found a local online store that sells aluminium U channel at a reasonably price and cut to spec.

This test build pretty much got me to make up my mind and decide to go with 4' strips, and I'm leaning towards the single row F-series.

Thanks to the guys at LEDGardener for helping my out :passitleft:

I like that it would not block the air flow from my fans (which blow air downward from above) in my 3' x 3' tent. Would also work to supplement my QB 260 xw. How many of these strips would I need for flower in a 3' x 3' tent? I see that you are using 4' strips for your other builds (too large for my 3' x 3' tent)

I like that it would not block the air flow from my fans (which blow air downward from above) in my 3' x 3' tent. Would also work to supplement my QB 260 xw. How many of these strips would I need for flower in a 3' x 3' tent? I see that you are using 4' strips for your other builds (too large for my 3' x 3' tent)

3'x3' and 100cmx100cm tents are bit ''off'' compared to the 3 standard strip lenghts of 280mm, 560mm and 1120mm (approx. 1', 2' and 4')

The new Samsung H inFlux strips are what you want, 8 pieces of the 556mm L06 would be fine, but the layout would have to be 6 in row and one on each side of the row, and the corners won't be covered well.

However you could do a build similar to this with, but use the S02 or S03 H inFlux and build two rectangular lamps.
I would use the S02 with a bit fewer diodes they run cooler, but require more heatsink.

I think 24 pieces of S02 would be nice, with two lamps each with 4 heatsinks with 3 strips, total of 12 strips run in serial on a Meanwell HLG 185h - C1400 (A or B depending on dimming preferences)
That would give you 768 LM301b diodes spread out evenly across the canopy, which should be plenty, and with two lamps you have much more freedom than with one big and ie. can grow two short and two tall plants simultaneously :)

3'x3' and 100cmx100cm tents are bit ''off'' compared to the 3 standard strip lenghts of 280mm, 560mm and 1120mm (approx. 1', 2' and 4')

The new Samsung H inFlux strips are what you want, 8 pieces of the 556mm L06 would be fine, but the layout would have to be 6 in row and one on each side of the row, and the corners won't be covered well.

However you could do a build similar to this with, but use the S02 or S03 H inFlux and build two rectangular lamps.
I would use the S02 with a bit fewer diodes they run cooler, but require more heatsink.

I think 24 pieces of S02 would be nice, with two lamps each with 4 heatsinks with 3 strips, total of 12 strips run in serial on a Meanwell HLG 185h - C1400 (A or B depending on dimming preferences)
That would give you 768 LM301b diodes spread out evenly across the canopy, which should be plenty, and with two lamps you have much more freedom than with one big and ie. can grow two short and two tall plants simultaneously :)

Thank you for your quick reply

Is SL-B8V1N30LAWW the correct part number for the S02 strips?

Yes, that's the S02 in 3000K, if you go for the solution with 24x of these ordering 25 will be cheaper because of the mass discount ;)

What is the difference between "A" & "B" drivers?

What is the difference between "A" & "B" drivers?

The A type has an internal potentiometer, and the B type has leads so you can connect an external potentiometer.
If you want to be able to dim from a far or want to add controllers then you want the B type, if not the A type is the easier option.

Very interesting indeed,, new,lighting is in my near future,, a custom job will be the best for my ackward space,,

GGreat stuff friend,, thx for the info,, cheers to ya

Recently did a little test build with the Samsung Q-series linear light strips to get my feet wet and learn how to build with these strips before doing a full build to replace the blurples in my secondary tent.

This is a EU style build and it's a bit cheaper to do the build in North America.

The build is serial using a CC driver and basic aluminium U-channels as heatsinks.

The lamp draws 53w and the U-channels I use as heatsinks are cool to the touch after running 12 hours.

The mountings were cheap but a hassle to work with, so next itme I'll use L-channels or threaded rods with nuts and washers ;)

Here the shopping list from the build, including shipping, tax and import fees:

9x 1' Q-series strips(bought 10) from Digikey

1x Meanwell HLG-60H-C700A from TME

3x 1m aluminium U-channels 20mm x 20mm x 2mm from local hardwarestore = $40

4x Wago connectors and 10m 75mm2 solid wire from Conrad Elektronik = $12

1x roll of Ceatech thermal tape 20mm from eBay(from USA, didn't find any in EU) = $48

Mountings, nuts and bolts from local hardware store = $7

Total = $268

Shipping, import fees and stuff like thermal tape (same price as the driver :rofl:) make a small build like this relatively expensive, but that should even out on a full build, and next time I only need strips, drivers and U-channels, all the small bits are in stock :)

I found a local online store that sells aluminium U channel at a reasonably price and cut to spec.

This test build pretty much got me to make up my mind and decide to go with 4' strips, and I'm leaning towards the single row F-series.

Thanks to the guys at LEDGardener for helping my out :passitleft:

PurpleGunRack, Where can I go to put together a parts list for my 5x5?

Main thing is saving some money so it's either older COBs or even QBs. Likely the later but I want a larger footprint than the 550 after seeing how the plants respond to an even coverage vs an HPS lamp. It kills me to see the atrophied buds just inches off center!
I want to stay around 500-600 watts.
I guess I need to buckle down and read a write-up on drivers/volts/board etc and design my own solution.

PurpleGunRack, Where can I go to put together a parts list for my 5x5?

Main thing is saving some money so it's either older COBs or even QBs. Likely the later but I want a larger footprint than the 550 after seeing how the plants respond to an even coverage vs an HPS lamp. It kills me to see the atrophied buds just inches off center!
I want to stay around 500-600 watts.
I guess I need to buckle down and read a write-up on drivers/volts/board etc and design my own solution.

Here is fine :)

Really depends on your budget and needs.

Best solution is 16x H inFlux L06 560mm strips, as 4 lamps, maxes out at a total of ~900w, but should be run between 400-800w, I highly recommend this route, it will set you back around $800.
$1000 if you want a fully automated dimmable wifi control system to go with it.

Cheapest solution is Bridgelux EB2, but I would have to look into that since I only use Samsung.

You can get boards other places than HLG:
Atreum
Folux
Solskin (cutter)
Zeus

Here is fine :)

Really depends on your budget and needs.

Best solution is 16x H inFlux L06 560mm strips, as 4 lamps, maxes out at a total of ~900w, but should be run between 400-800w, I highly recommend this route, it will set you back around $800.
$1000 if you want a fully automated dimmable wifi control system to go with it.

Cheapest solution is Bridgelux EB2, but I would have to look into that since I only use Samsung.

You can get boards other places than HLG:
Atreum
Folux
Solskin (cutter)
Zeus
Excellent thank you! I was already in the 700-1000 range expectation wise.
You are suggesting that I can even run close to 900W of this insane LED?
PERFECT, this I believe if turned up to 11 will need Co2 making the move to a closed room a double bonus.
I'm going to research some of this info, as for drivers, I'm a software developer and control freak so looking for something that can ran with a WiFi controller.
This really is the best place to go for information, it's just sometimes buried so I greatly appreciate the time to answer my questions.
Getting excited! Almost that time again!

I would keep it under 800w in most cases ;)

If you want to get something out of the CO2 you might want a little more light, and you would have to use liquid cooling when there's no extraction and circulation of the air in the room, it's a bit difficult but certainly possible with a pumping/cooling system and some thin copper pipes.
Also you need to add heat, to benefit from CO2 you need temps above 30C!
And remember you need to supply oxygen at night.

The controller I'm talking about is the Amelech Zigbee, you can use it to create fake sunrise/sunset by setting it to increase and decrease the intensity throughout the day, if you do this, I would crank it to max for 2 hours in the middle of the day.

Back
Top Bottom