DIY Whiteboard

odam2k

Whiteboards are really handy for a lot of things, but can be a great place to quickly jot down notes and reminders while working in the grow room. If you need to keep the info, pull out your phone and snap a picture...

Anyhow, here's a post from my blog, I'll copy the whole thing here so you don't need to go look.

Saturday, August 31, 2019
Let there be white! (boards)

In a previous post, I talked about how I miss having whiteboards. I would love to fill the walls here at home with them, but instead, I'll make do with this, my newest DIY creation.
Untitled.png

It's hard to see the writing because I need new markers for it, these are quite old...

So, are you curious? It's two dollar store foam boards (color is irrelevant) with a piece of light plywood sandwiched between them, all taped together with duct tape. I then cut a piece of Panda Plastic (white on one side, black on the other) like you might already use in your grow space. I got the idea when I remembers back before I create Grow By Wire, I used to used dry erase markers to write on the walls (that were lined with panda plastic) with dates for each plant etc. I found that if you leave the writing on for a log time, it won't wipe off with a paper towel, but just add a little water and it cleans right up. I put the plastic on both sides, so I can just flip it over and I have another white board...
Material List:

2 x Dollar Store Foam Board
Thin plywood roughly same size as foam board
two pieces of panda plastic to fit.
Duct Tape

I had everything already, so mine was free!

They also make paint now that you can do for chalk board and I think I saw one for white boards too

yeah, the special board at my restaurant is just a framed piece of plywood with the chalk board paint on it. works great. haven't tried the white before tho.

I think if I make another one, it won't have the wood in between, I think 2 pieces of foam board would be enough support. I plan on using this just kind of on my lap at my desk, not hanging on a wall, so the weight savings would make a difference. Worst case, three foam boards...

If you don't need it to be portable, you can just tape/tack a piece of the white plastic to the wall :)

Or any color for that matter would work for the background which I was actually thinking of that right after I posted it but yes it is a good ideer and would be cheap and great board to make it any size you want to fit anywhere...a piece of glass would always work too but plexiglass or acrylic even would be much much safer and lighter and more durable...I use a whiteboard now and a small journal that I keep for genetic info and all that and I might even put pics in there someday of the strains which would be nice I might just use a app however I don't really trust that with such useful info and writing it down in its own journal I like much better...

Back
Top Bottom