DIY window AC Chiller new Version

I'm not sure if an ice maker can handle the dynamic load of a grow room. Much like a condensing unit for a walk in refrigerator, it is made to keep an specific space within a target temperature. That space never changes, and any outside input (heat) is absorbed over a period of time. An 1k HID lamp requires 4000btu of cooling power to offset its heat. Can your ice maker provide 6k-24kbtu of cooling?

IMG_05437.JPG

Here's the coil soldered in. It has been handling 2 1k hps.

IMG_05476.JPG

Notice the improvised vibration isolation

IMG_05446.JPG

this same unit has chilled water for 18 months, was used as an AC for 12 mos and has now been converted into a proper chiller. not bad for a wal mart special!

Do you think you could set me up with where to get one of those coils? I love your setup. I've been thinking of switching to water cooled for awhile now. I would PM you but this is my first post on these forums, so it could be a bit... Also, what mix is ideal for the coils? I'm still going to air cool my hoods so I could even use antifreeze.?.
Anyway, thank you so much for posting this info, even if it has been here for awhile. This is the only thread I've encountered with info on the coils. It has been a real eye-opener...

I got mine on ebay and have sourced one from digigro.com as well. I have given up on water cooling and just use open hoods with a big ac now. I will still use this on my water cooled dehuey and Co2 gen.

I got mine on ebay and have sourced one from digigro.com as well. I have given up on water cooling and just use open hoods with a big ac now. I will still use this on my water cooled dehuey and Co2 gen.

How do you A/C your cab and maintain a seal for co2 now? Is the coaxial exchanger you have made by D***ette? I found those and a Chinese source. I had previously ducted a 5200 BTU window A/C to my 54"x96"x79" tent with the 2x600w lights ducted outside, but it didn't run enough to dehumidify the tent. Had 90% humidity so I ended the grow venting to the room its in, no co2, and letting the central A/C handle the cooling/dehumidifying. I thought I would go bare bulbs in a vertical next time around and see if the added heat load would give me the dehumidification I need. The window A/C leaks some of the co2, so I thought water cooling could fix that. Why did you give up on the water chiller? I would have PM'ed you about the coil, but this is my first post. You can reply here or PM me. I tried Digigro.com, but was unable to find any reference to the coils.

Why did you give up on the water-cooling? Inefficient? Pain in the ass? I was looking because I am doing a vert and have very little room for an exchanger in-room. I was also interested in setting up a water-cooled co2 generator and thought this might be the way to go. Again, thank you for your contributions.

What's up budlydoright I really appreciate you helping out I was reading your thread it very cool wanted some insight on the company that makes the coil as I have a 2ton window ac that want to convert to a water chiller using a coil instead of putting the evaporator coil cause I want it for water coil ice box and hydro gen thanks for the insight also if you can tell me about the aquarium control I would really appreciate thanks once again or the help :thumb:

Why did you give up on the water-cooling? Inefficient? Pain in the ass? I was looking because I am doing a vert and have very little room for an exchanger in-room. I was also interested in setting up a water-cooled co2 generator and thought this might be the way to go. Again, thank you for your contributions.

Know this is tardy but.....

I gave up on water cooling cause it was a pain. the Fresca Sol water jackets only last about a year before they need new seals. Required too much upkeep to keep it safe. I do a water cooled co2 gen with 30 gals of water and no chiller.

What's up budlydoright I really appreciate you helping out I was reading your thread it very cool wanted some insight on the company that makes the coil as I have a 2ton window ac that want to convert to a water chiller using a coil instead of putting the evaporator coil cause I want it for water coil ice box and hydro gen thanks for the insight also if you can tell me about the aquarium control I would really appreciate thanks once again or the help :thumb:

I think they're called Doucette industries.

Know this is tardy but.....

I gave up on water cooling cause it was a pain. the Fresca Sol water jackets only last about a year before they need new seals. Required too much upkeep to keep it safe. I do a water cooled co2 gen with 30 gals of water and no chiller.

I think they're called Doucette industries.

Thanks man for the reply I totally understand about the fresca sol a bud if mine had them also there are great in the beginning but the up keep is a hassle so he ditch them and got the iceboxes whole package from hydro innovations the chiller alone 2hp was $2800 I already have a new 25,500 Btu window ac thanks for the info on the coaxial exchanger I saw the 2hp for about 350 it sounds reasonable can you please if you have a diagram of installation and how to charge the coaxial with freon thanks once again

I need to ask you a question I ask a HVAC person I know and he stated that installing a coaxial heat exchanger that he is not sure that it will work properly and he said that don't know I'd the compressor will work the same or not he just not sure he told me that he can install the coaxial. Now will it work a 2hp coaxial heat exchanger with my 25,000 btu window ac? Also I have a ranco controller thanks.
If you think it will not work please let me know or should I pay the money for a chillking

It should work fine. Talk to the guys at Doucette and ask them which coil they recommend for your compressor. It's pretty straight forward refrigeration.

Like I said, I currently am running a open fixture 8k CEA.

Back
Top Bottom