Do I have to dry sugar and fan leaves before making butter?

If you are starting with dry material, the decarb won't take quite so long as if it were fresh or frozen. When using dry, I do 240 deg f for close to an hour. You will get a feel for it, it will be brownish and quite dry. As for the boil portion, if boiling in a water butter mix, just simmer (real low boil- just tiny bubbles) for about three hours. No need to do 8, it is a long enough process as it is. By the time you clean up, you will have spent about 5 hours, but well worth it. I think the rule of thumb is about one oz of plant matter to one pound of butter. Definitely check out the link I posted previously, but add the decarb step to the beginning, and you will make some fantastic butter. If you really want to dial your method, and don't want to use all your plant matter at once, try doing a half ounce of weed into a half pound of butter. I did two pounds of butter last run, but I kind of have my tech dialed. The only thing I really want to improve is I want a mechanical press of some kind to squeeze the butter from the plant matter. It also helps if you run a bit of clean boiling water through your squeezed plant matter to rinse it out, so you extract all the butter from the weed. I rinse mine two or three times after the initial squeeze, you just need a larger container for the cooling stage of things.

I hope this helps!

I'm waiting for your report fanleaf. I have a couple bags of trim I took a few days before harvest and am trying to decide what to do with it. Hopefully you can get all the bugs worked out for us :laughtwo:

I used about a qt (weight unknown) straight large fan leaves to infuse some coconut oil. Put the trim in a sealed baking back on a baking sheet in a 250 preheated oven for 30 min. I then placed the still sealed bag in the freezer for 20 min. The trim then went into a magical butter machine (great device, fellows) with 2 cups of coconut oil & let it work its magic. With one cup of coconut oil, I made 24 small chocolate mounds type candy bars. One bar gave me a nice relaxed feeling that was perfect as a sleeping aid. The problem was the horrid taste. After consuming 3, I had to ditch the rest of the batch. I'm in hopes the bad taste came from the fact that I only allowed the fan leaves to air dry for about a week; not enough time for the chlorophyll & other nasty greeny things to dissipate. I have another qt container of the lowly fan leaves that I plan on trying again after they have dried for about 8 weeks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for better taste results this time. But don't dis the fan leaves. You can definitely coax a little high out of them.

Back
Top Bottom