Do I need a power relay/contactor?

OzbudboY

I have an apollo 600w digital ballast. Do i need a relay/contactor for this to run a timer safely?
Any suggestions on where to get one? Amazon?

My Apollo 14 power strip with timer says in the instructions not to be used with digital ballasts. So I did some research, a lot of the info I found was dated and conflicting.

What you have is a power strip that is designed for small loads. Fans water pumps things like that. It is not built with the idea of using it for big 600 watt lights. it has 8 outlets, my gawd imagine the current that would be running through that if 8 600 watt lights were plugged into it Can you say SMOKE..:rofl:
Use your apollo 14 for what it was designed for, your fans and misc. small load equipment. Just pick a standard cheap old analog timer that is rated for the load and you will be fine.

The power strip is rated for 15amps. The ballast draws 6 Amps, and I read this argument elsewhere. The numbers make sense but other people are saying is a fire hazard and recommending a power relay, I just don't know which one to get. Or which timer to get.

If you really want to be safe this is the top of the line. This might not be the right model. They make one not in a housing that is cheaper, they make many models. This is designed for big stuff like hot tubs and the like for outdoor heavy loads. This wont break.

Intermatic T100 Series 40 Amp 125 Volt SPST Electromechanical Time Switch with Indoor Enclosure-T101D89 - The Home Depot

The issue with the cheaper stuff is it is fine when you buy it but it wears out. Every time it toggles it arcs and wears down a bit. Eventually it will fail. Hopefully when it does it fails open not shorted out and causing a fire. I am growing in my home so I wont risk my $360k home on a $10 timer. It is fine if you are out in a barn or warehouse where the timers are sitting on concrete in the middle of nowhere. As long as when it fails it can catch on fire and nothing else burns then go for cheap crap.

And rule of thumb in electronics...the bottleneck is what fails. Most household circuits are on 20 amp breakers. This is a 40 amp switch. The breaker is going to pop before anything damages this guy.

Best of luck...don't skimp on things that can cause serious injury or even death.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom