Do I remove fan leaves?

Bump , I am going to test it out. I have roughly 3 weeks to go maybe less. I think I am a week off on my timing when I triggered my plant to flower it started showing first stages of maturation... I would like to see if clipping all the larger leaves encourages faster maturation and/or concentrates on rebuilding fan leaves. This would be a good learning experience either way for me as I never tried it before and I plan to use this strain in the future one more thing I would learn either the hard way or might have luck with some positive results. It is my Deep Chunkolate plant in my sig.

i choose to operate under the theory that the plant and nature or god is smarter than i am about what the plant needs. i look at trees mostly pines when the branch gets in the shade and stops producing for the tree it is cut off by the tree and dies. same with leaves i have a plant with a fan leaf the size of a dinner plate other leaves have now shaded it and it is turning yellow and drying out because the plant has turned it off and is taking the nutes out of it and using them somewhere else. But i'm just a dumb ole country boy.

Bumping this for anyone who's doesnt know like me. After reading you can always make your own mind up but to do a comparison is probably what would really make my mind up.

guess god got it wrong then those leaves are what he uses for the light to produce the chemicals in the plant for it to thrive.

Selective removal of leaves can be beneficial.

In my opinion the whole 'fan leaves are solar panels' is a load of rubbish.

If it's shading a potential bud site, overcrowding the space or just in the way then chop it off. The plant is fine, it feeds from the roots, not the leaves!

Don't go crazy though, we need some leaves for photosynthesis, but not the massive bush a plant gives out.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

guess god got it wrong then those leaves are what he uses for the light to produce the chemicals in the plant for it to thrive.

In an outdoor environment leave the leaves, sun can penetrate right through to the ground.

The same can't be said for indoor lighting.

If you want to do a test, leave a few buds shaded by fan leaves. They will not develop properly, and will retain more green (to help it use the little light it's getting)

Buds need light as much as leaves.

There is also a lot to be said about hormone distribution, vigour and health when using defoliation. It's like low stress training - it keeps the plant healthy, making new leaves, it stops it getting lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

No, God/Mother Nature didn't get it wrong. Plants left to grow naturally in the wild need those leaves to aid survival in harsh growing conditions.

Then we went in and messed with the genetics, coddled them with steady food and water and trained the heck out of our plants. If anything we are ones that got it wrong, but really it's just different methods for different objectives. It's all good.:Namaste:

Thank you so much for this thread! I’m a new grower and was about to hack away at my lower fan leaves thinking that the plant would receive more light. I second guess myself and found out absolutely not to cut lower fan leaves

Attachments

• FD7283F6-51A6-4861-A35D-2A8C3205E196.jpeg
    FD7283F6-51A6-4861-A35D-2A8C3205E196.jpeg
    741.1 KB · Views: 266
1st Time Grower here, I was told by almost everyone I know that Grows to trim the "fan" or "sun" leaves at a specific time during the Budding process, sooo that being said I had 1 plant that was a fair bit smaller with a lot less leaves on it than the other but budding beautifully and I have removed a majority of the fan leaves, now after reading this thread I'm really interested on how the plant is going to react to that, the opinions on here are almost 50/50 either way.... My question is if I'm adding bud booster and plant food to my water will that not make up for the removal of the leaves unless the plant goes into shock??

Thank you so much for this thread! I’m a new grower and was about to hack away at my lower fan leaves thinking that the plant would receive more light. I second guess myself and found out absolutely not to cut lower fan leaves

There are definitely times to defoliate your plants. At certain stages of veg and about 3 weeks into bloom. I also remove large leaves that block bud sites. People can talk all day about how you should let your plants just do what they do naturally but the truth is that if you look at a wild flower in the ground and then you look at a flower that's been grown by a horticulturalist you will see a big difference. It's because it's been manipulated to grow better flowers. Part of that manipulation is plant training. Watch a bunch of YouTube videos and research for yourself

received_490728718262729.jpeg

These lady's love when I cut them they are day 67 and day 1 of flowering, I did cut some leaves a few times up to this point but lst and selective fan leave and small under growth removal until the last day of veg check out my grow journal.
Bottom right plant was broken off at the 2nd node at day 33 and one top broke while training still got 5 good tops here's before the trim
received_204861410588454.jpeg

Did no one think to tell the first guy who posted photos that the plant had Hermied and had tons of nanas sticking out of his buds.

just in case anyone reads this and is having a similar issue, trichs not turning amber, some sativa don’t turn amber. If you have yellow nanas sticking out of your bud then it’s past it’s harvest window and the plant is trying desperately to pollinate it’s self before it dies.

he should have been far more worried about the buds than the leaves.

also, cut this leaves. Do not let the leaf from one stem shado three bud sites on another

I am against taking healthy green leaves off of main branches and prefer to tuck them if possible but I do like to defoliate the bottom quarter foliage of the plant that will not be getting adequate light depending on if u lst or top etc or not. I do this in early flower so the plant will focus its energy to the branches that get all the light

Join one of those gardening forums where people post pictures of their 2,000+ pound pumpkins and the like - and ask those people how often they have to defoliate their plants in order to end up with such extremely large fruits and vegetables. You'll probably get chased off the forum by a bunch of people who simply cannot believe that you aren't one of those Internet trolls :rofl: .

Back
Top Bottom