Do moisture meters work?

Weight works for me. As far as a multi meter, don't waste your money. Test strips for pH are as good as any cheap meter. Meters can be a pain, as you must follow a specific testing procedure. Before any test, a meter must be rinsed with DI water, then blotted dry. After every test, it must be rinsed with DI and dried.
..except for the meters which you're never supposed to let dry, "If it dries, it dies" is what my chemistry teacher used to say.

..except for the meters which you're never supposed to let dry, "If it dries, it dies" is what my chemistry teacher used to say.
No, even the best meters must be rinsed with DI and dried off between readings, or you will get an inaccurate reading. For instance: with a pH meter, take a reading and it is very acidic. If you next test a very strong base, the acid left on the probe will contaminate the next reading. Rinse in DI and the wiped dry between tests. Cross contamination will give you inaccurate readings. TDS meters same, same.

anyways guys thank you so much for your input, i feel much better now that i know i can rely on my meter. i guess i was over watering like hell! but it feels dry to my finger!!! i'm gonna post a video to show you what i'm talking about guys

Using my bathroom scale, I know the exact dry and the saturated weight of these pots. I placed these peat pellets, day after sprout, in the pots when they weighed 1 lb. less than saturated and don't add water until they get within 1lb of dry weight, then add water by the ounce/pound, with a 16 oz. condiment bottle in a circular pattern, radiating out from the drip line. This is functional for me and prevents watering too often associated problems.
damn, that's A LOT of perlite, how much do you put?

i did that and it didn't work out for me

I assume that to be true. And that's fine - as previously mentioned, you should use what works for YOU.

However...

lifting it isn't accurate at all

That part of your statement is not precisely true. There is some degree of accuracy here and, for many (most?), it's accurate enough.

I can lift a large container and quite easily determine/judge whether I should add a gallon of water. If I start thinking that this isn't good enough, that I need to know whether I should add 128.5537 ounces, lol, I'm not going to look for a method that allows that degree of accuracy - I'm going to go look for some free therapy ;) . . . .

i did that and it didn't work out for me, lifting it isn't accurate at all and would result in me overwatering even more....
You can take a dry sample of your media(usually shipped with minimal moisture content), put it in a plastic bag, and do comparison lifts. The more you do it, the more accurate you will be.

I assume that to be true. And that's fine - as previously mentioned, you should use what works for YOU.

However...

That part of your statement is not precisely true. There is some degree of accuracy here and, for many (most?), it's accurate enough.

I can lift a large container and quite easily determine/judge whether I should add a gallon of water. If I start thinking that this isn't good enough, that I need to know whether I should add 128.5537 ounces, lol, I'm not going to look for a method that allows that degree of accuracy - I'm going to go look for some free therapy ;) . . . .
yeah but you're not gonna saturate a 15l pot with a little autoflower in it that u started in a final pot....

Back
Top Bottom