Do regular screens, like for windows, change the UV from being spotted over head?

magpie

I grew some 5' plants outside, just beautiful girls!, and placed screens overhead as someone told me that would change the heat and UV (or whatever the term is?) so they wouldnt be spotted from over head? It was a wonderful grow and I wish I still lived there. My set up looked like a screen room to keep bugs out. I never did see any spotter planes, so I dont know if it worked, but the plants sure didnt suffer, and might have been good for them as the sunlight was really intense. you can get sliding glass door screens for almost nothing at a re-store (habitat for humanity store) so thats what I did. thanks!!

Using window screen will reduce the amount of heat and sunlight to the plant, but not by much. Shade cloth, if that's what you really want to do, would be the best choice.

Using window screen (or shade cloth) alone as a concealment from spotter planes...? Maybe if the sun was set in the sky at a certain angle it might produce some type of glare or refraction to where the naked eye couldn't make it out. With these hi-tech/hi-resolution scopes and cameras they're using nowadays I doubt very seriously window screen (or shade cloth) will effectively keep your plants from being seen.

Just because you haven't seen any spotter planes doesn't mean they haven't given your property a fly-by. They could be flying over at night, engine idling (or off) and running lights off and you'd never know the difference till it was too late. These hi-tech/hi-resolution scopes and cameras are as effective at night as they are during the day - even some cases more effective. Knew someone a while back who got busted by night time aerial photos and the plants were well camouflaged surrounded by look-a-like plants and he had a shitload of fake flowers tied all over it.

Is shade cloth something you could put on the sides of carports for us carport growers?

You can put it wherever you want.

I would love to put up screen to keep the moths out.

I reckon you'd have to find the finest mesh to keep them lil' buggers out. Some of them moths are pretty small. That would also mean blocking out more sunlight.

How much does this shade cloth cost?

It varies according to % of blockage and bulk sizes. Haven't really looked around too much but there are a few websites offering professional grade stuff. Might be able to find lower grades at Lowes or Home Depot.

From the prices I've seen it's more expensive that plain ole window screen.

If you're living in a windy area you want something much more durable.

And does it let any sun thru at all?.

Sure.

It comes in various blocking percentages (and colors) - anywhere from 30% to over 90% blockage.

I just got an idea. what about the idea of using alternate heat sources to throw off the infrared cameras? Maybe a heating duct extended out or an old hot plate left running and covered, I don't know.

Just an idea. These dickhead cops need to quit worrying about growers and go catch criminals.

I just got an idea. what about the idea of using alternate heat sources to throw off the infrared cameras? Maybe a heating duct extended out or an old hot plate left running and covered, I don't know.

Adding more heat? No thanks.

IR cameras can't see your actual light. They only see the hot spots on the exterior of your house.

Back
Top Bottom