Do these balls make this a Hermie?

I have 4 auto fems going and 3 are about ready to chop. after taking a couple of test buds, I found that the 3 that are ready to chop have fully developed and mature seeds.

This plant has 2-4 of these balls at each branch. Is this a Hermie?

Thanks for any help.
P20600052.JPG

I had this happen last year in an outdoor grow. Once I chopped and started trimming one of the plants had little yellow make flowers in some of the lower buds. I never noticed them until I was trimming though.

Sent from my iPhone using 420

Schtiggy, I had an Auto start forming seeds before chopping her as well. I didn't find a single nanner on it. Another member found a nanner on top of one of hers recently that isn't even ready to chop yet.
I'm curious why they are doing this. I don't mind getting the seeds....but I want my females to stay females through the whole process unless I choose to pollinate them.

What light schedule did you use for yours?

Did you follow the breeder recommendation for flower time?
Mine went a little longer than it was supposed to because of a slow down out of the gate. I'm thinking that might be the reason....:hmmmm:

I would love to read from others on what they think the cause is for this on Autos. Some kind of stress?

I know I'm a bit late posting this....LOL

Schtiggy, I had an Auto start forming seeds before chopping her as well. I didn't find a single nanner on it. Another member found a nanner on top of one of hers recently that isn't even ready to chop yet.
I'm curious why they are doing this. I don't mind getting the seeds....but I want my females to stay females through the whole process unless I choose to pollinate them.

What light schedule did you use for yours?

Did you follow the breeder recommendation for flower time?
Mine went a little longer than it was supposed to because of a slow down out of the gate. I'm thinking that might be the reason....:hmmmm:

I would love to read from others on what they think the cause is for this on Autos. Some kind of stress?

I know I'm a bit late posting this....LOL

Hi Canna,

I think mine may have went hermie because I switched from cfl to led at day 30. I don't know that for sure, but the other stresses on that plant would have been the first 2 weeks, using a broken ph pen, I watered with 5.1ph, and I also washed all the soil off of the top of the seed before it broke soil. It sat like that for about 2 days, then grew in a really strange way. It was an ugly, twisted plant that I figured I would have to get rid of.

At about 5 weeks, I cut most of the leaves off. At 6 weeks it started to flower and took off. Still a small yield - 2.25 oz. I found the hermie by tapping branches before cutting them.

This is where the pollen came from
P2190026.JPG

Thanks Schtiggy!
There's a common denominator, I accidentally tried to drown my auto seedling and it took a while to recover and start flourishing. About two weeks, I'm guessing, is how much I slowed it down. Because these are on their own internal schedule for flower, I'm thinking that this caused it to go too far into the flower process.
This happens with regulars as well, if you take them well beyond the flower time they will start to self pollinate via nanners. Sometimes those nanners are extremely hard to find, and by the time you actually find them they've dried up and blend right in. LOL

That's my theory.....and right now I'm sticking to it. :rofl:

Any other thoughts.....truly appreciated!

Thanks Schtiggy!
There's a common denominator, I accidentally tried to drown my auto seedling and it took a while to recover and start flourishing. About two weeks, I'm guessing, is how much I slowed it down. Because these are on their own internal schedule for flower, I'm thinking that this caused it to go too far into the flower process.
This happens with regulars as well, if you take them well beyond the flower time they will start to self pollinate via nanners. Sometimes those nanners are extremely hard to find, and by the time you actually find them they've dried up and blend right in. LOL

That's my theory.....and right now I'm sticking to it. :rofl:

Any other thoughts.....truly appreciated!

I was actually hoping for a Hermie, just so I would end up with seeds. Now that I have them, I thought about bleaching my tent so the next round won't have them.

I did a bunch of research and found that a good way to make them go hermie, without using any chemicals, may be to turn the lights on in the middle of the dark cycle for about 15 minutes, then turn them back off. Do this every couple of days after they are in flower and "supposedly" you can shock them into Hermies.

I forgot to answer the lighting question. My lighting is 18/6. I have never changed it.

Another thing, is the defol. This was my first grow. I used the tip spreading technique, and kept the cfl lights about an inch away, so they were stacked really tight.
The bushiness of the plant is hard to describe, there was just no space in there at all. My tallest plant, of 4, ended up being 18" and it is the untopped that went hermie.
So I did an extensive defol...from the top down...4 times on that plant, and at least 3 on the others. I don't know if that, in addition to my rough, inexperienced handling, for the first month or so played a part or not.

Good info on what all you did with them.
I did a mild defol on mine, but it was late into flower when I did, and it wasn't topped.
As I get more Auto seeds, I think I will experiment a bit.
We all love to have good seeds for little cost. :smokin:

I feel the same way. I want to use a bunch of the seed to experiment. I would like to do side by sides. Identical seeds from a self pollinated plant would be perfect as they should all be exact copies.

I have a bunch of ideas, but a side by side topped vs un topped yield comparison would be awesome for a first experiment. I also want to try a defol every 2 weeks along side one that is completely untouched and compare time to yield and weight.

I will have winter time experiments for the next few years :)

I feel the same way. I want to use a bunch of the seed to experiment. I would like to do side by sides. Identical seeds from a self pollinated plant would be perfect as they should all be exact copies.

I have a bunch of ideas, but a side by side topped vs un topped yield comparison would be awesome for a first experiment. I also want to try a defol every 2 weeks along side one that is completely untouched and compare time to yield and weight.

I will have winter time experiments for the next few years :)

I am doing the side by side topped vs. not topped with two of the Auto's I have now. They are pretty much the same size at the moment. It will be interesting for sure. They are both Fast n Vast.

Back
Top Bottom