Do these girls look ready to put into flower?

StationTerrapin

420 Member
Hi all,

I've been growing these for 8 weeks. I've grown them from seed, and I'm 95% sure they are Gelato #41 (feminised, but not AF).

This is my first grow, and given the 'compact' size of my grow area, I'd love any advice you can offer on when might be the right time to put them into flower?

0.jpg

If space is tight, I'd probably top them and trim some lower growth and get them into flower in a couple of weeks.

I would. But, I top all my plants as a matter of crop management. I like to grow bushes instead of trees. This allows each branch to get better light.

Good luck, they look good.

If you top them depending on the strain you can really cut back on the stretch. My current grow I have three 2 foot tall plants - they are at 4 weeks now and have only stretched about 3 inches.

If you top them depending on the strain you can really cut back on the stretch. My current grow I have three 2 foot tall plants - they are at 4 weeks now and have only stretched about 3 inches.

Good point. Although I've always wondered if that cuts down on yield??? Drastic moves like that I tend to do early. But, I only know what I know. You know?

I have a Bodhi strain I run that stretches a lot. Last time running her I took pliers to her in an effort to supercrop. Im a big fan of that technique, but I mentioned it (supercropping) to the genetics guys at work, and one suggested trying pliers.

I used to have hundreds of plants in veg and flower and supercropping is a PIA with those numbers. And my ole arthritic and sausage looking hands.

Not, with pliers!!! Just squeeze away.... friggin love this plant... anyway

Good point

I agree with the advice to top as your space seems limited and you may have troubles with stretch. They stretch the most when they re not topped. I ve grown two blue Gelato 41 you can have a look at my current journal. Both were topped and one of the two really stretched a lot after flip

These are looking great! I agree with the suggestions to top. You can see a lot of 2nd and 3rd level sites that will grow out after you top. It will allow you more bud sites and a fuller more even canopy, and as people have mentioned reduce overall height and stretch.

In terms of time I would flip in 2-3 weeks depending on how long it takes for those lower sites to grow out.

You may also want to research low stress training and paperclip training. I found for the first grows it was easier to train each plant separately rather than inserting 1 or 2 trellis which lock the plants in place for the rest of the grow.

You might also be able to root the cuttings and have them be ready for next round, after you harvest these down the road.

Keep it up!

I would. But, I top all my plants as a matter of crop management. I like to grow bushes instead of trees. This allows each branch to get better light.

Good luck, they look good.

I went ahead and topped them. And I can see how it's going to be a benefit when it comes to flowering (keeping as much light available to the middle of the plant).

For this first grow, I haven't experimented with lots of nutes. Just perlite, vermiculite, and good compost. Water straight out of the tap (I know, I know). But I'm surprised by how well they seem to be going. I hear flowering is when things can get tricky, though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Dan

Honestly, getting to flower is more tricky IMHO. Once you get to flower it should be set it, and forget it. Good luck enjoy the journey!

Beauuuutiful. I personally would top em aswell but in regards to if they are ready to flower. Some people think plants only show sex when you flip to flower. This is incorrect, you can see female parts when plants are "mature" its said this is the best time to flip as your girls will kick into flower quicker and produce better. I havent personally tried this i just wait until they are the size i want n flip em. So to sum it up you can flip when you want (as long as they are big enough yours are just about there) but there is a "optimal" time to flip

Beauuuutiful. I personally would top em aswell but in regards to if they are ready to flower. Some people think plants only show sex when you flip to flower. This is incorrect, you can see female parts when plants are "mature" its said this is the best time to flip as your girls will kick into flower quicker and produce better. I havent personally tried this i just wait until they are the size i want n flip em. So to sum it up you can flip when you want (as long as they are big enough yours are just about there) but there is a "optimal" time to flip

Damn. I wish I could ID mine before they start to show, that would save a whole hell of a lot of time and space. Maybe you could offer a masterclass or something.....

Damn. I wish I could ID mine before they start to show, that would save a whole hell of a lot of time and space. Maybe you could offer a masterclass or something.....

You can teach yourself. Just takes time and experience. You're looking for pre-flowers. They can be hard to find but once you know what they are you'll always spot them. You can probably google pre flowers to get a visual of what yer looking for. Better then me trying to explain it.....

You can pick males also. They'll show sex sooner. I know folks, from this site, who can sex seeds. Im about 80% I was 100% for a while then got rusty.... lol...

It's alllllll possible. Just have to find the key to the door with the answers....

Good luck, have fun, be safe!

These are looking great! I agree with the suggestions to top. You can see a lot of 2nd and 3rd level sites that will grow out after you top. It will allow you more bud sites and a fuller more even canopy, and as people have mentioned reduce overall height and stretch.

In terms of time I would flip in 2-3 weeks depending on how long it takes for those lower sites to grow out.

You may also want to research low stress training and paperclip training. I found for the first grows it was easier to train each plant separately rather than inserting 1 or 2 trellis which lock the plants in place for the rest of the grow.

You might also be able to root the cuttings and have them be ready for next round, after you harvest these down the road.

Keep it up!

Apologies. I somehow missed your response. And thanks for the advice. I was thinking about taking cuttings, but I watched a tutorial online and they made it look like open heart surgery. (Actually, that might have been open heart surgery.)

Anyway, my point is it looked difficult; they had these little cubes that they put the cuttings in, and I have no idea where I'd find such things. And some kind of gel. And they kept going on about bubbles. Bubbles are bad. Really fucking bad.

Dan

You can teach yourself. Just takes time and experience. You're looking for pre-flowers. They can be hard to find but once you know what they are you'll always spot them. You can probably google pre flowers to get a visual of what yer looking for. Better then me trying to explain it.....
Its the same as sexing when ya flip checking the nodes, but as i said they wont show until they are ready. A lot of people flip before they show so this may be why you havent noticed it before. On this round im just finishing i saw them before i flipped. i had a couple mishaps so was holding back on the flip the second they got to good health again I noticed them and was happy as larry and immediately flipped. Not an exciting story but just tryna say it works lol

Apologies. I somehow missed your response. And thanks for the advice. I was thinking about taking cuttings, but I watched a tutorial online and they made it look like open heart surgery. (Actually, that might have been open heart surgery.)

Anyway, my point is it looked difficult; they had these little cubes that they put the cuttings in, and I have no idea where I'd find such things. And some kind of gel. And they kept going on about bubbles. Bubbles are bad. Really fucking bad.

Dan
Cutting are not that hard to take, now is your chance to try take the top 3-4" cut at sharp angle w/ razor blade if you have cutting gel or power dip it in ,if not try anyway stick it in peat based starter soil , & place on heat mat or some place a constant 75 f wait a week & slowly start letting the humidity escape If it get wimpy mist lightly & close bag & try again till it can handle lower humidity

Back
Top Bottom