Do two 300W LED lights equal 600W?

No not even a 300 wat pulls 300 wat so 2 just guessing would b like 300 or 400 Wat's depending on wat brand etc I have a few China led witch only pulls 86 watts from the wall

I should clarify..I dont mean what it draws from the wall. Led watt ratings are a little weird anyway. They base the amount of light given off compared to the old style light bulbs I think. Even though they dont draw that much wattage.

Basically there's no such thing as 300w LED, it doesn't mean anything, even if it's a light that draws 300w it doesn't say anything about type, efficiency, intensity or how the light is spread out.

Blurples are usually named by the max wattage the diodes are rated for, but they rarely run them harder than 50%.

Two ''300'' w blurple panels won't even be on par with 400w HPS

Two HLG 300 can compete with 1000w SE HPS

2 lights will give you a wider footprint. Adding more wattage will give you more lumens which will help. The depth the light will penetrate into the canopy will not increase though.

Very true. Nonetheless, it can help reduce shadowed areas and give a "third light effect" depending on placement.

Ok. I knew 2 lights would give a wider footprint of light. That's kind of a given. I was just asking about does 300w + 300w make it like 600w. I didnt think so, and based on what info was given I'm correct. Thank you for your responses.

Yh this has me as well. Basically if you have a 300w led I.e viperspectra. Then daisy chain it up and take them together is it not the same as having a 600w viperspectra. Yes the penetration wouldn't change but would it change with a 600w?

I mean, the leds don't change they are still 5w epistars. There are just more of them in a 600w then there are in a 300w. I think they are the same.

I say this because I have a 300w viparspectra. I have just purchased a 600w viperspectra. I'm looking to daisy chain and hang side by side in hope it would make a 900w comparable to a 600w/hps. Please don't piss on my parade lmao..

They sell them as being equivalent. So, a 600wt led is sold to replace a 600watt HID.

So yes. Two 300s equal a 600. In theory.

And, I like two lights over one big one for many of the reasons mentioned.

Don't forget, the leds do draw less,,, but there's an efficiency factor people fail to comment on in these discussions.

Anyway, everyone can debate the details and facts about LEDs/HID. But, from my experience you won't see the same weight from the leds as compared to the same HID. The quality may be better with LEDs, perhaps. But, it all depends on what you're looking for.

It's not easy to compare apples to apples on this one. Cheap leds will get you about the same as a cheap lamp and ballast setup. But, the thing about the leds is the time you get with them. If you get good ones to start.

I've run my leds for almost five years. American made, one problem, minor problem, and I had a new one in days.

And they have made great flower for years and continue to do so.

I've spent a lot on 600hps lamps and other issues over the years. Made some great plants too, though.

Just my input.....

two are better than one because of the foot print of 2 300's compared to 1 600 Led but the light pentration with the 600 is better than the 2 300's

I don't understand how the penetration is more powerful if the leds are the same power just more of them? Eventually I'll be having 2 600w lights in my main tent with some cob 36w red spec kickers for flower and I'll use my 300w for vegging my seedlings of .. try for a perpetual setup.

The penetration of my 300w led was fairly weak last time but I tho k that was because I had it in such a big tent on its own .

I don't understand how the penetration is more powerful if the leds are the same power just more of them? Eventually I'll be having 2 600w lights in my main tent with some cob 36w red spec kickers for flower and I'll use my 300w for vegging my seedlings of .. try for a perpetual setup.

The penetration of my 300w led was fairly weak last time but I tho k that was because I had it in such a big tent on its own .

Good point !! feel that two would be better than one --- one 1,000 watt better light penetration than a 300 ?

That seems logical, on the face of it. The irony is that you might end up hanging two separate panels lower than one larger one, since you won't need the distance in order to attempt to increase your light footprint.

On the other hand, some LED products might drive their more expensive products a little harder, or maybe use more efficient LEDs (which would produce more light for a given amount of input power, I assume).

But, yeah, if it's just a question of adding more LEDs - that run at the same power level - to make a higher-wattage panel... I used to look at flashlight reviews from someone who used multiple thicknesses of a blanket to simulate the more powerful ones' penetrative ability, and he once showed two flashlights not shining through any more layers than one of the same model.

So... Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances, lol?

Screenshot_20181128-183349_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20181128-183432_Chrome.jpg

So I've pulled the manuals up for a 300w and 600w. The main difference is coverage and the amount of led pcs.

The 300w has 60pcs led.. the 600w has 120pcs.
The coverage is only greater by 0.5ft and it mentions nothing about actual penetration. But since the leds are only greater in number and they are still only 5w epiluxes ect.

I reckon you can hang a 300w and 900w side by side st the same height and there only be a difference in coverage

Obstruction. The more even the light source above the less likely it will be obstructed. If you create a new point source from another location or angle with it be subjected to the same obstructions of the first light filling in where the first one is being absorbed by a cola or leaf, penetrating deeper. Also two smaller panels will create more even PAR levels which should help a more even canopy which could help with penetration if you have large colas in the center shooting up taller to meet your small single point light source.

I wish I knew how to do a par test really. Probs need expensive digi readers and shit. I have my 600w arriving in the next couple of days. My plan was to run my 600w and 300w as one light. But in my opinion this would move the middle point of my par circle and increase it at the same time. I'm sure I don't have to run them at different heights if I'm directly side by side so both coverages over lap to the max.

Eventually I'll get another 600 to run side by side and move the 300 to veg some new girls off.

Back
Top Bottom