Do you need to cure a harvest that is going to become edibles?

Amsterdam28

Hey 420,

I have a plant that will be ready to harvest in 3-4 weeks which I intend to use for edibles. Of course I want to make edibles from them right away so I'm wondering, do I need to cure the bud at all first as if I was going to smoke it?

My initial thought is no, since I won't be smoking it there will be no harshness from not curing, but I just want to be sure. Worst case scenario I could always use my cured stash for the edibles and start this new harvest in jars, but I would prefer not to do that if possible. Thanks in advance for your input.

Curing also allows for chlorophyll and undesirable plant juices to dissipate. You're butter/oil/etc might be extra green if you don't cure and might impart some strong plant flavor. Have you seen the "water-cure" method? It only takes a few days and might be a good middle-ground for your goal. Whatever you do, definitely let us know how it goes!

All the info I came across says that you need to dry it anyway. It plays a huge factor for the reasons that OMGrown points out. From what i've read, the drying allow the trichomes to detach easier. So, if you are making bubble hash, it's best to dry your stuff first. From what I understand, the trichomes won't come off as easily if the plant is fresh and green.

Plus, if you are actually putting the plant material into your edibles, it's more palatable if it's dried.

Even if it's water cured, you still need to dry it.

I definitely plan to dry it first, but that is only a few days as opposed to a cure which will take a few weeks after the drying. I do like the idea of trying the water cure method, but I am afraid to attempt it with an entire harvest. Maybe I will try it with a few grams first just so that I don't accidentally ruin an entire crop. Good idea.

OH .... what the hell was I thinking. You don't need to cure ..... but you really should dry it. But, it will probably help with taste.

Back
Top Bottom