Do You Still Get High?

The Kult

I'm 57 years old and have been tokin' for the past 43 years, 40 years of those on a daily basis.
These days I smoke purely out of habit because the highs that I used to get in my youth are not achieved anymore.
Sometimes I try out some new bud and that first spliff is a whammo but immediately after the following spliffs, the highs tend to get much milder. Even with the new variety, the high is nothing compared to the highs I used to feel in my teens and 20's.
Please share your thoughts with me because this depresses me a bit.

Prepare to get more depressed my friend.

I'm 63 in less than a month and smoked my first J when I was 14. Dropped my first hit of Purple Haze a month later.

It's like sex. Mind blowing with a new partner but fades off eventually. Get a new partner and it's all great . . . for a while. more new partners and lessening greatness until it all goes jaded and one blends into the other.

Go celibate for a year and guess what! Start the damn cycle all over again in a compressed time format. :(

A break is as good as a rest so maybe go cold turkey for a month at least. Edibles is another good option that has become my favorite way of medicating. The lungs are shot from cigs so got to do something to prevent CDS, (Cannabinoid Deficit Syndrome).

Never going to get that new smoker feel to your buzz again pal but there are other buzzes to explore!

:peace:

Sounds like you have built up a tolerance, need to air out for a week or two every once in awhile, also seems to help switching up with different strains as more to the "high" than just the THC. As it is like drinking and many other things (even sex to a point ;) :rofl: but I'm married so no hope of me hitting that threshold ;) :rofl: ), after awhile it takes more of it to get the same effect or you just never get the same affect until you quit for a bit.

You need to follow the 4:20 method. 4 days off, to every 20 days on. 3 day breaks will flush your system enough to start getting high again. When you smoke every day the temptations can be challenging to overcome. After those 3-4 days you go to smoke a whole joint and realize you're gonzo'd half way through!
Thanks for that.

I shall prepare for 3-4 days of moodiness. .

Well, here's the story.
1st May (4 months, 3 weeks ago) I quit smoking tobacco AND weed mostly for a break because I felt that it was useless toking without a real desired effect. So I came to the conclusion that if I was gonna quit cigarettes, I might as well go ahead and quit the dope as well, at least for the time being. (I always mixed my joints with a little tobacco)
As all tobacco smokers know, quitting cigarettes is a bitch. I didn't really mind the dope but I dearly craved the tobacco. As a matter of fact, I forgot about dope from day 1 which made me come to the conclusion that cannabis is not physically addictive, only psychologically. Mind you, I do miss those beautiful highs and not smoking for 4.5 months, I imagine I'll get quite a kick if I toke one right now.
Well, after 4 years of not cultivating anything but just buying my stuff, I decided to start out on a couple of plants in the old growroom/boxroom.
The plan is to keep off the tobacco now that I've survived over 4 months without any and use the leaves that I used to throw away to supplement tobacco mixed with my spliffs.
So I got 2 plants going, just three weeks old... from Attitude. One is a feminized Humboldt Green Crack and the other is a Big Buddha AUTO Blue Cheese.
I just purchased from Ebay one 3000w LED lamp which has turned my growroom all red...it's like Satan's dungeon in there! I did it to kinda update on the light system. This is one of those Chinese LED's because the US one are too dear. This cost only a quarter of a US LED lamp. It shows promise and I figure it's consumption is not as low as I'd wish, but wadda hell!

What are your thoughts on all this fellas?

Yeah, you can not get your teen brain back but some great highs can be found still. I am smoking all sativa landraces and that helps with the tolerance. The hybrids will give tolerance quicker.

Smoke small and not as often for effect. Good on you for quitting tobacco, I know how hard that is.

The Colombian Gold '72 I just grew is better than the '79 CG I smoked in 1979. Was real CG from Colombia but they picked it early and it was not as pure sativa by then. Jarilla from ACE, Colombian Gold from USC, Eskobar has a couple Mexican sativas. Look over at Sannies for Eskobar and USC.

Real seed company has a bunch of sativas too. ACE and Cannabiogen have many.

The lungs are shot from cigs

^This.^

I am smoking all sativa landraces and that helps with the tolerance. The hybrids will give tolerance quicker.

^And this.^

If your lungs are partially to mostly ruined, coated with tar, tissue shrinkage, maybe scarring too... You're not going to get much out of the smoke/vapor (or air, for that matter). And higher CBD to THC ratio always seemed like a "dirty" buzz to me, lol, one that my brain learned to fight quickly. But then I've always preferred to get high than to get stoned. But that's me, IDK about others. I'll reach for an indica for pain, I suppose, or to sleep. But to get the head right and just for the pure pleasure of the thing... sativa when possible. Err... Hybrids "because available," :rolleyes3 .

I always mixed my joints with a little tobacco

Eww, why? I've wondered about that. I've been smoking strong menthol cigarettes for around ¾ of my life and that still doesn't seem palatable to me, lol. Is it because a normal joint is just way too strong? Can't you roll a smaller one, or put it out partway through and finish it a little later for a tune-up?

Hey OldMed, if I could quit tobacco, you can as well, even though I suspect that weed has it's share of blame on the old lungs.
It doesn't mean that I am now tobacco free. I still get the crave for a ciggie practically everyday, especially after meals and in moments of stress. Oh, and Best Wishes on your upcoming 63rd Birthday!
Thankfully it seems that no real damage (that I can feel) have been done to the lungs. I've started to take long walk daily and am impressed how I've regained my shortness of breath when going uphill... this only in 4 months.

TorturedSoul, it has been a lifetime habit amongst us toking islanders to add a little tobacco with the joint to fill in. Not much, maybe a quarter of a cigarette. That's why I'm growing my own so I can use the fan leaves instead of tobacco as fill-in.
I cannot get myself to roll small spliffs. It's always a handsome, generous sized joint that takes shape. Dunno, I guess it's the piggy in me that rules and abuses this body.

Luweedgi, the wife is quite a terrific cook and if the buds are plentiful, she's gonna dabble a bit with recipes taken from that cannabis cookbook that I managed to download in PDF for her. So, fingers crossed.

Yesum, in my teens we used to go visit our sister island to buy pure sativa. I will never forget those highs, the laughs and the antics were neverending. There never was any indica there but the sativa was endemic to the island. Maybe you need to come over and we'll go search for the source together and hopefully get hold of some real pure undiluted sativa seeds.

Whenever I hear of someone quitting tobacco, I always feel I have to say something positive - Congrats for staying tobacco free the last 4 months, 3 weeks, 2 days! Please take my advice and continue your life journey t-free. Just my opinion on this of course - I was a smoker for 17 years before I decided to quit which was 18 years ago now. My quit date was May 1st, 1999. So I have been a quitter for longer than I was a smoker now. Quitting for me was a lifestyle choice (new daughter, setting an example) and a health choice (harder to breath) Quitting tobacco was by far the hardest thing I've tackled, from physical side. Staying t-free is not hard if you change your routines and accept the health and cost realities. For you the hard part of the quit is over with, and it sounds like you have made the commitment to stay that way.

Your story resonates with me because I quit both tobacco and weed too long ago, but have come back to weed lately as I approach retirement and find that I can deal with many of the physical things going on with me now, better than a regime of pills, useless Dr visits, etc.

In my 20's and 30's I was a daily or near daily toker of very small amounts. Job and family 1st. I don't see my weed usage changing once I harvest and venture back slowly into it after being away from it for nearly 20 years.

I think taking time away from the high...a few days, weeks, months or years...keeps the tolerance down. You know, "too much of a good thing..." I feel the highs are much better taking time off. I've switched to vape for my lungs sake. I want to venture into edibles.

Good luck on your grow, start a journal, enjoy the journey of it. I need to add my journal to my signature, I know I've seen posts on how.

Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) improves pulmonary hypertension in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): a pilot study. - PubMed - NCBI This is a link to DHEA therapy for COPD or emphysema. Worth a look and a try if you are having trouble breathing. BHRT is another hormone substance that has shown usefulness for women and some men in regaining lung health.

Last I heard cigarettes are considered more addictive than heroin. Look at a group of former addicts or alcoholics having a group session. Half will be smoking I guarantee it. Smoking a pipe is associated with longer than average lifespan, you can look that up. If you leave that pipe or cigar in your mouth all day, well... Moderation.

Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) improves pulmonary hypertension in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD): a pilot study. - PubMed - NCBI This is a link to DHEA therapy for COPD or emphysema. Worth a look and a try if you are having trouble breathing. BHRT is another hormone substance that has shown usefulness for women and some men in regaining lung health

Thank you. I'll check that out (for both myself and my mother). [EDIT: Shucks, it's a "guv" address. Would you happen to have the plain text and, if so, would you mind posting it here somewhere?]

Last I heard cigarettes are considered more addictive than heroin.

I used to hear they were about the same. At the time, (stupid ~TS~ :rolleyes3) I didn't believe it - getting off that horse must be far more difficult, I thought.

Now, years later... I don't believe it. I started thinking after reading your post. You know what? Not counting the ones who managed to quit by dying (from both lists), I've known more (successful) recovering H addicts than recovering cigarette ones. Not that I'm saying there are far more H users out there than smokers, lol. Just... Well, once in a while I end up seeing someone successfully quit the rodeo. So far, I know two living ex- cigarette smokers.

Mom... Well, she quit in '77 or '78 after having a fever that hit 105.1 and didn't kill her but burned out her senses of taste and smell (and a few other things). I still remember it - I was like eight years old - and how, just as soon as she was able to roll off the couch where she'd been parked since she'd taken sick and CRAWL in to where her purse was so she could grab a smoke. I remember her puking bile (all she had in her stomach) all over herself from what they now tasted like, too. Rinse/later/repeat until all she could manage was to lay there and cry. She got well, tried again. More or less the same result (less repeats, lol). And she tried again two or fifty times. I don't look at that as having quit - I look at it as being permanently prevented from quitting.

On the whole, I suppose she's better off with a screwed up taste and smell (she can taste and smell some things - they're just (according to her) all horrible, and nothing that she'd ever tasted/smelled before she got sick). Maybe I would be, too, IDK.

My brother quit. Actually made the decision to quit, and did. But he smoked Marlboro light 100s. You know, the ones with so many tiny little holes in the paper that you're sucking more air than anything else, and an extra long filter? I used to grab his ashtray out from under his bed when I was a youngin' and was too short on cash to just go down to the corner and buy a pack, lol, because after ripping the filter off I had like 85% of a cigarette... He'd light one, take a couple puffs, put it out. A few hours later, he'd light one, take a couple puffs, put it out. So yeah, he quit. But it was probably like a guy that decides to give up split-tail - after only having looked at a picture of a woman.

I take that back. I knew a guy who might still be alive now. He was (IIRC) 94 last time I saw him. Smoked until he got married at 26 and quit (forever). So I asked him, back when he was "only" in his late 80s, how long it was before he stopped getting mad cravings for a cigarette. He said, "I'll have to let you know."

Got a buddy, been trying to quit off and on for, IDK, 20 years? Stopped by the other night. I was sitting out in the shed, having a smoke. Seems like every time we run into each other, one or the other of us are out of cigarettes, lol, so I tossed the pack to him. He threw it back and told me he'd quit. I forget how long, like 26 days or something. So I offered to go where he couldn't see me finish my cigarette and he said he wanted me to continue, "Because if I can't not smoke when I see someone else do it, I'll never last." Which makes sense. I probably hadn't even smoked four more before he lit one up. I know it was within a couple hours, because he wasn't here all that long in total.

So, yeah, you're probably correct... I'd guess that cigarettes have even stronger hooks in 'em than that wicked horse does.

I only smoked one cigarette whilst typing this post in. But I'm a pretty quick typist - and I've only got six cigarettes left and nearly no money, lol. Err... Make that five....

Thank you. I'll check that out (for both myself and my mother). [EDIT: Shucks, it's a "guv" address. Would you happen to have the plain text and, if so, would you mind posting it here somewhere?]

I used to hear they were about the same. At the time, (stupid ~TS~ :rolleyes3) I didn't believe it - getting off that horse must be far more difficult, I thought.

Now, years later... I don't believe it. I started thinking after reading your post. You know what? Not counting the ones who managed to quit by dying (from both lists), I've known more (successful) recovering H addicts than recovering cigarette ones. Not that I'm saying there are far more H users out there than smokers, lol. Just... Well, once in a while I end up seeing someone successfully quit the rodeo. So far, I know two living ex- cigarette smokers.

Mom... Well, she quit in '77 or '78 after having a fever that hit 105.1 and didn't kill her but burned out her senses of taste and smell (and a few other things). I still remember it - I was like eight years old - and how, just as soon as she was able to roll off the couch where she'd been parked since she'd taken sick and CRAWL in to where her purse was so she could grab a smoke. I remember her puking bile (all she had in her stomach) all over herself from what they now tasted like, too. Rinse/later/repeat until all she could manage was to lay there and cry. She got well, tried again. More or less the same result (less repeats, lol). And she tried again two or fifty times. I don't look at that as having quit - I look at it as being permanently prevented from quitting.

On the whole, I suppose she's better off with a screwed up taste and smell (she can taste and smell some things - they're just (according to her) all horrible, and nothing that she'd ever tasted/smelled before she got sick). Maybe I would be, too, IDK.

My brother quit. Actually made the decision to quit, and did. But he smoked Marlboro light 100s. You know, the ones with so many tiny little holes in the paper that you're sucking more air than anything else, and an extra long filter? I used to grab his ashtray out from under his bed when I was a youngin' and was too short on cash to just go down to the corner and buy a pack, lol, because after ripping the filter off I had like 85% of a cigarette... He'd light one, take a couple puffs, put it out. A few hours later, he'd light one, take a couple puffs, put it out. So yeah, he quit. But it was probably like a guy that decides to give up split-tail - after only having looked at a picture of a woman.

I take that back. I knew a guy who might still be alive now. He was (IIRC) 94 last time I saw him. Smoked until he got married at 26 and quit (forever). So I asked him, back when he was "only" in his late 80s, how long it was before he stopped getting mad cravings for a cigarette. He said, "I'll have to let you know."

Got a buddy, been trying to quit off and on for, IDK, 20 years? Stopped by the other night. I was sitting out in the shed, having a smoke. Seems like every time we run into each other, one or the other of us are out of cigarettes, lol, so I tossed the pack to him. He threw it back and told me he'd quit. I forget how long, like 26 days or something. So I offered to go where he couldn't see me finish my cigarette and he said he wanted me to continue, "Because if I can't not smoke when I see someone else do it, I'll never last." Which makes sense. I probably hadn't even smoked four more before he lit one up. I know it was within a couple hours, because he wasn't here all that long in total.

So, yeah, you're probably correct... I'd guess that cigarettes have even stronger hooks in 'em than that wicked horse does.

I only smoked one cigarette whilst typing this post in. But I'm a pretty quick typist - and I've only got six cigarettes left and nearly no money, lol. Err... Make that five....
I tried to quit cigs many many times, nicotine gum, patches, vape cigs, nothing ever worked. Then I tried weed, smoked a pinch hit, pipe hits or joint every time I wanted a cigarette. I was stoned for a month straight and never touched tobacco since.
Over 6 years ago now...

I'm 57 years old and have been tokin' for the past 43 years, 40 years of those on a daily basis.
These days I smoke purely out of habit because the highs that I used to get in my youth are not achieved anymore.
Sometimes I try out some new bud and that first spliff is a whammo but immediately after the following spliffs, the highs tend to get much milder. Even with the new variety, the high is nothing compared to the highs I used to feel in my teens and 20's.
Please share your thoughts with me because this depresses me a bit.

You need to "Clens" your cb receptors. Eating Mangoes and drinking green tea will help clens them. :circle-of-love::peace:

Similar to how heroin dealers want you to stay addicted (and perhaps die) to stay in business, the cigarette companies are built around the same model.
Yes, the ARE out to get you, be stronger mentally than you're urge to smoke.
As a reward for quitting, repair your lungs and pay yourself back for the damage that you've already caused by smoking.
Lungs rejuvenate, so walk, run or whatever as a penance for your past behavior and for what it will bring to your life.
I'm 63 and still get high and I love it. I've loved it since 1968..!!

Of the anecdotal stories here I share the same. Used to smoke 3-4 joints a day, every day for years. Then the random drug testing at work made that a thing of the past. You want to keep your paycheck, you gotta give up weed. Not fair, but then what in life is?

These days I may smoke 3-4 joints a year. When and if, it finally becomes legal I will enjoy it more often but not like in my youth. It definitely increases the intensity of the high when you haven't smoked in a long time. I sometimes go several months without ever even seeing a bud, let alone have the chance and privacy (aka grand kids not around) to burn one. And as for the original question, "Do I still get high?", yes I do, when I can take the chance and not surrounded by others where the topic is not appropriate. I have always enjoyed the head rush, the relaxing sensations, the heightened sexual climaxes, improved sleeping and now in my older age, the relief of joint pain.

Back
Top Bottom