Doc Bud: All Organic OG Kush SCROG

Doc Bud: All organic OG Kush SCROG.

The title says it all.

Soil: Vermicrop base soil. For those who haven't seen this stuff, it's the best soil I've run across, drains superbly, holds the right amount of moisture, has a fantastic number of beneficials in it, etc.

In a cement mixer to one bag of Vermisoil, I add:

8 cups organic Worm Castings
4 cups organic, biodynamic compost. (Bu's Blend or mango mulch depending on availability)
4 cups small, pea sized red lava rock

1.5 Bone meal
1.5 High P (low N) bat guano
1.5 Jersey Greensand
1.0 Epsom Salt
.5 cup Blood Meal
.5 Dolomite lime
.5 Gypsum
.5 Azomite
.25 Pyrogrow
1 tsp 20 Mule Team Borax

This mix is a slightly modified version of SubCool's super soil. This mix is put into a 40 gallon trash can and watered with Vermitea and molasses and left to "stew" for 30 days minimum before using the soil.

This "SuperSoil" is placed in the bottom half of the 7 gallon pots, while the top half is comprised of regular Vermisoil.

Mostly, plants will be watered with RO and the following, depending on phase of growth and real-time monitoring of plant health:

1.)CalMag
2.)Worm tea
3.)compost tea
4.)Guano tea
5.)Molasses
6.)Mineralized water (I make it with Pyrogrow)
7.)Kelp meal
8.)Snowstorm Ultra
9.)Epsom Salt

Depending on what's going on, a watering could be as simple as adding CalMag and watering.....or I could be brewing a tea for several days. It just depends.

The plants will be sprayed down weekly with either compost tea or worm tea. I get the top and bottom of the leaves when I do this.

SCROG details:

3x6 flood table covered by two 1000 watt HPS. More than enough light....just the way I like it. Using umbrella stands and one concrete pier, I've made for corner posts to which I'll attach a trellis net.

As the plants grow taller, I'll add a second net, and begin supercropping, tucking branches, etc.

If needed a third net will be employed above the second net. This cut of OG literally can't stand up under it's own weight.

The underside of the scrog will be trimmed clean on day 8 of stretch, and kept that way for the duration of the grow,

(the defoliators are on to something.....my OG Kush-master friend trims all the lower leaves off because it helps stop stretch and start flowering.....but he leaves the top 4 or so nodes intact with fan leaves, etc.)

The plants are in veg right now, and should be potted up and under the big lights in 1-2 days.

I'd like to hit 2 pounds from the whole mess.....which on a per-watt basis would put me at exactly half the yield my friend gets with the identical strain in hydro....although with fewer plants under my two lights.

I'm hoping to stress quality over quantity.....we shall see!

Re: Doc Bud: All organic OG Kush SCROG.

I'm in!!! Sounds like an awesome setup! Can't wait to see it in action

Yes! keepin it real simple, Subcool has a similar recipe online, TGA seeds i believe. Those are going to be some sweet tastin meds

Yes! keepin it real simple, Subcool has a similar recipe online, TGA seeds i believe. Those are going to be some sweet tastin meds

You make it sound so easy! I'm definitely subbed for this. I just started my first grow a few weeks ago, I definitely feel like I can learn some good stuff from this journal.

Here's a pic of the SCROG, before I prune them back......waaaaay back. There won't be any leaves under the net in a week. I've never done any kind of pruning like this before....but I've seen the results first hand, so I think I'll go for it.
IMG_20806.JPG

IMG_20813.JPG

IMG_20824.JPG

IMG_20835.JPG

IMG_20856.JPG

Im totally in for this one! I've been slowely inching toward going totally organic, still can t decide if I want to run it or not. I love that you pick OG Kush for this test, my all time fav. strain, cant wait to hear the smoke report on this 1! Good luck buddy

I have a beast OGK18 Scrog going right now, check my Sig.

Also wanted to ask, when watering how will you influence the ph of water going in to ensure you dont get lockout? Or is your water with Cal/Mag right where you want it?
I know you said you will be putting buffers in the soil but surely those wont hold up til harvest? or will they?

definitely subbed for this one

Im totally in for this one! I've been slowely inching toward going totally organic, still can t decide if I want to run it or not. I love that you pick OG Kush for this test, my all time fav. strain, cant wait to hear the smoke report on this 1! Good luck buddy

I have a beast OGK18 Scrog going right now, check my Sig.

Also wanted to ask, when watering how will you influence the ph of water going in to ensure you dont get lockout? Or is your water with Cal/Mag right where you want it?
I know you said you will be putting buffers in the soil but surely those wont hold up til harvest? or will they?

Hey bro!
I haven't checked pH in over a year. In seven gallon pots, like I'm using, I could probably use straight tap water, chlorine and all. But i use RO, to which I usually add Cal/mag.

The addition of vermitea and compost tea will put the pH right where the plants like it....no worries, no mess, no fuss.......and no point in even checking it.

The soil itself is a powerful buffer, and I've also added dolomite....and our plants can adapt to a wide range of pH and still thrive.....you've just got to have the microbial action in the soil going on. Those little critters do their own pH adjustments all the time.

the great things about organic gardening is the simplicity, my tap ph runs a little above 7.5 and I never adjust ph. my organic nutes don't alter the ph in any way, but the little microbes take care of it for me in the nutrient solution and soil. great little helpers those things are

the great things about organic gardening is the simplicity, my tap ph runs a little above 7.5 and I never adjust ph. my organic nutes don't alter the ph in any way, but the little microbes take care of it for me in the nutrient solution and soil. great little helpers those things are

Yep!

What's your soil mix?

I'm going to purchase a filter to go on the tap water. It's the recommended filter by Vermitea.......the vermilogic filter.

Then, I'll be able to turn on the tap and water the plants. No more cal/mag. Just water the damn plants.

i just use plain happy frog for my soil, but I use the full blue planet nutrients organic line of nutes, no ph up or down and my runoff is always on point.

i just use plain happy frog for my soil, but I use the full blue planet nutrients organic line of nutes, no ph up or down and my runoff is always on point.
I've never checked runoff....but with 7 gallons of decent soil, I don't see how it couldn't be on point.

Just think of soil as a big, huge tank of pH down, and another big huge tank of pH up.....with an automatic adjustment function.

All this pH worry is just superstition, when it comes to soil. Hydro is different, of course.....

I've never checked runoff....but with 7 gallons of decent soil, I don't see how it couldn't be on point.

Just think of soil as a big, huge tank of pH down, and another big huge tank of pH up.....with an automatic adjustment function.

All this pH worry is just superstition, when it comes to soil. Hydro is different, of course.....

yeah the bigger the container, the less issues you have for sure. I was adjusting my nutes down to the right range when I first went with the organic nutes and noticed horrible lockouts a week into feeding.. Turned out my soil ph had dropped to the 4's and the only thing I can think that did it was the bit of ph down I used when mixing the nutes. I mix them in advance now and it buffers itself down to the right range after a day or so.

yeah the bigger the container, the less issues you have for sure. I was adjusting my nutes down to the right range when I first went with the organic nutes and noticed horrible lockouts a week into feeding.. Turned out my soil ph had dropped to the 4's and the only thing I can think that did it was the bit of ph down I used when mixing the nutes. I mix them in advance now and it buffers itself down to the right range after a day or so.

You're mixing nutes but you're all organic? Please explain.

Organic grows tend toward acidic.....not always, but they tend that way. All that needs to be done is a bit of dolomite in the soil. Most soils already have that added in.

Other than that, just feed the soil. Stop thinking about what the plant needs and think about what the soil needs:

microbes, fungus, etc. Use teas.

Food for the critters in the soil: organic matter and micro's.....don't forget the micro's! Those critters love micro's.

Carbohydrates: like molasses.

Your grow looks very similar to mine. I started a soil grow flowering on October 15th with 6 Tahoe OG, 1 Reserva Privada #18 and 1 clone I got from a dispensary. I think the clone was Dead Head or Larry, not too sure. My setup is very similar with 2 black 4x4 flood trays, with PVC piping to support my SCRoG. I even used the same trellis made of netting. I do not think I will be growing Tahoe again. As far as OG goes, it is not the best strain out there IMHO. To add insult to injury it has been very cold here and I harvested my outdoor plants and brought a powdery mildew infection indoors which means I will have to eventually kill and sanitize every plant I have and start from scratch. Powdery mildew is a death sentence. It sucks so bad, cause it always effects your best strains, and it likes to attack OG in particular.

Back
Top Bottom