Doc Bud: All Organic OG Kush SCROG

Doc, I think those minerals are the secret to better tasting product. I have been using azomite with great success and I plan to add in some glacial and sea crop as well.

I really like the brix stuff you are doing - plan to follow your lead soon.

:thumb:

Doc, I think those minerals are the secret to better tasting product. I have been using azomite with great success and I plan to add in some glacial and sea crop as well.

I really like the brix stuff you are doing - plan to follow your lead soon.

:thumb:

Thanks bro!

I'm also very excited with the High Brix approach. I've started another journal documenting it.

It's quite a departure from standard organics in some ways, but very synergistic and complimentary in others. Basically, you've got to start paying attention to the soil......not so much the plants.

For example, I completely cleared up a magnesium deficiency that was responding slowly to epsom salts in mid bloom by adding a bunch of calcium in the form of limestone, soft rock phosphate and gypsum.

What those minerals did to the soil biology was extraordinary.....and they fed the plant better than ever. I didn't need to add magnesium, I just needed to feed the microbes.

So this whole next grow, from start to finish, will include mineralized soil, teas and special foliar products. So far, so good!

slimm, thanks for all that info, It really helps to see what the results are of certain methods.

I'm going to the hydro store tonight to get my soil supplies. Definitely excited

Hey Doc, I'm at a toss up right now planning my order.. I'm going to source the compost from the hydro store most likely as they have a better selection than HD currently does.. My question is what would be better to use, shrimp or seaweed compost? Both are the same price, both have their benefits as far as pest control goes.

And sourcing the blood and bone, are MG products okay in this aspect? My hydro store stocks the bone, but not the blood.. HD is about half the price too, although the brands are different.

Hey Doc, I'm at a toss up right now planning my order.. I'm going to source the compost from the hydro store most likely as they have a better selection than HD currently does.. My question is what would be better to use, shrimp or seaweed compost? Both are the same price, both have their benefits as far as pest control goes.

And sourcing the blood and bone, are MG products okay in this aspect? My hydro store stocks the bone, but not the blood.. HD is about half the price too, although the brands are different.

Read the label closely. If the MG products are 100% dried blood, you'll be fine.

I think I'd go with the shrimp compost.....an educated guess, not 100% certain....because it's going to have more calcium.

If you're going to go in the direction of High Brix, don't mix your soil too hot. Instead of creating a soil for the plants, we want to create a soil for the microbes. They'll take care of the plant better than we can.

you're right I was just comparing the two again and the shrimp stated it's a high source of calcium and the seaweed is a high source of potassium, so I'm going to go with the shrimp.. I'll check the labels on the bone/blood, if it's not 100% I'll source it elsewhere. I'll be checking in with more updates. I jotted down that base recipe you posted up a few pages ago, I'm going to be following that pretty closely for the time being until I see what is and what isn't working for my applications and then tweak from there.. I've gotten a nice understanding of how everything plays it's part in a living soil, so I feel I'll be pretty successful.. At least more successful than I am right now

:bong:

you're right I was just comparing the two again and the shrimp stated it's a high source of calcium and the seaweed is a high source of potassium, so I'm going to go with the shrimp.. I'll check the labels on the bone/blood, if it's not 100% I'll source it elsewhere. I'll be checking in with more updates. I jotted down that base recipe you posted up a few pages ago, I'm going to be following that pretty closely for the time being until I see what is and what isn't working for my applications and then tweak from there.. I've gotten a nice understanding of how everything plays it's part in a living soil, so I feel I'll be pretty successful.. At least more successful than I am right now

:bong:

Let me know your recipe, please.

I'm rethinking the supersoil a bit....just in the mental stage right now. I'm very interested in what you're going to try.

I'll let you know what I cook up for sure.. It will be another month before I can start using it, but in the meantime I'm also getting a pump and supplies to make my tea brewer, so that will start happening this weekend. I'm pumped for this one!

I'll let you know what I cook up for sure.. It will be another month before I can start using it, but in the meantime I'm also getting a pump and supplies to make my tea brewer, so that will start happening this weekend. I'm pumped for this one!

You will be shocked at not only how easy it is....but at how healthy the plants are, and most importantly, how deliciously effective the meds are.

:Namaste:

I know man, I grow good bud now, but it looks nowhere as good as yours. I'm interested most of all in seeing the pest related benefits of growing this way.. The added yield and quality is a by product of striving to build a robust living soil.

What are the harms of starting to cook a batch without every ingredient? There are some that I will probably have to source online or somewhere else. I'm under the impression they are part of the most crucial ingredients we're going for here, mainly the azomite, rock phosphate, and gypsum. Everything else I should have tonight.

ugh I hate hydro stores.. They didn't have the 20lb bags of EWC, instead they had a 40lb bag and 5lb bags.. the 5lb bags were 8 bucks a piece, and the 40 was $40.. I had a limited amount of cash on my though so I had to opt for the cheaper route and get 2 5lb bags.. Everything wasn't as cheap as it was online either so I wasn't able to get the compost, instead I have some mushroom compost I'm going to substitute. I've heard some good things about it, so I'll research some more before applying it.

ended up getting the blood/bone/guano/greensand/ewc/compost so I just need the main minerals and things will start.

Do you recycle your soil at all Doc? I've heard good things about recycling and re-amending once you have a living soil. I'll be mixing up 2 batches of super soil, one with fresh dirt and one with used dirt.

I know man, I grow good bud now, but it looks nowhere as good as yours. I'm interested most of all in seeing the pest related benefits of growing this way.. The added yield and quality is a by product of striving to build a robust living soil.

What are the harms of starting to cook a batch without every ingredient? There are some that I will probably have to source online or somewhere else. I'm under the impression they are part of the most crucial ingredients we're going for here, mainly the azomite, rock phosphate, and gypsum. Everything else I should have tonight.

I think it's very important to give at least 2 weeks for the rock powders to combine. However, I top dressed my last grow with the minerals and the plants still responded well.

However, let's make sure you understand what is critical:

1.)the ratio of Limestone, SRP and gypsum is 6-5-3. You didn't mention limestone above......don't leave it out. Use 1 cup of rock powders per bag of soil.

2.)Humus content in the soil.

3.)Active soil biology

ugh I hate hydro stores.. They didn't have the 20lb bags of EWC, instead they had a 40lb bag and 5lb bags.. the 5lb bags were 8 bucks a piece, and the 40 was $40.. I had a limited amount of cash on my though so I had to opt for the cheaper route and get 2 5lb bags.. Everything wasn't as cheap as it was online either so I wasn't able to get the compost, instead I have some mushroom compost I'm going to substitute. I've heard some good things about it, so I'll research some more before applying it.

ended up getting the blood/bone/guano/greensand/ewc/compost so I just need the main minerals and things will start.

Do you recycle your soil at all Doc? I've heard good things about recycling and re-amending once you have a living soil. I'll be mixing up 2 batches of super soil, one with fresh dirt and one with used dirt.

I have not recycled my soil yet, but I'm going to start with this latest run. I'm going to take the old soil, add a bag of humus and some tea and let it cook.

I ended up ordering what I needed just now, so in a few days I'll have everything I really need. I have 5lbs of each on the way: CAC03, azomite, soft rock phosphate, gypsum.. I guess I did leave the limestone out, but I had it in mind the whole time.. Sourcing the calc carb lime is a bit difficult this time of year, but online always works out.

you say add one cup per bag, is that based on your typical 1.5cu ft bag? I have about 25 gal of used soil at the moment breaking down.. I'll probably cook that up first as I have a fresh bag of roots 707 that needs to be used for new clones that are ready. Just trying to get my calculations right for my entire mix, and juggle the transition lol. Not only am I starting a new soil mix, but I'm also starting my first run with air pots and transitioning my perpetual flower room into a vertical perpetual flower room. Lots of work, but I'm not complaining :bong:

I ended up ordering what I needed just now, so in a few days I'll have everything I really need. I have 5lbs of each on the way: CAC03, azomite, soft rock phosphate, gypsum.. I guess I did leave the limestone out, but I had it in mind the whole time.. Sourcing the calc carb lime is a bit difficult this time of year, but online always works out.

you say add one cup per bag, is that based on your typical 1.5cu ft bag? I have about 25 gal of used soil at the moment breaking down.. I'll probably cook that up first as I have a fresh bag of roots 707 that needs to be used for new clones that are ready. Just trying to get my calculations right for my entire mix, and juggle the transition lol. Not only am I starting a new soil mix, but I'm also starting my first run with air pots and transitioning my perpetual flower room into a vertical perpetual flower room. Lots of work, but I'm not complaining :bong:

yep. Add one cup of rock powders for each amended bag of soil. The recipe is 1 cup per 2 cubic feet of soil. Most bags are 1.5 cubic feet....but adding the amendments.....2 is about right. A little extra or under will still work.

Get some Yucca extract if you can find it and add it to the fresh tea.

What a ride from hempy stoner proof to going Zen with organics! Takes me a few runs to completely change my ways though I am moving in a more organic direction every day.

yep. Add one cup of rock powders for each amended bag of soil. The recipe is 1 cup per 2 cubic feet of soil. Most bags are 1.5 cubic feet....but adding the amendments.....2 is about right. A little extra or under will still work.

Get some Yucca extract if you can find it and add it to the fresh tea.

I will make a plan of it.. I have about 4cuft of soil right now I want to amend, so I'll just double the ingredients and see where it leaves me. I'd rather it be a bit light than too hot, especially my first run building it. I'm psyched for this run, I'll be sure to throw up a journal when it's ready and get the brix style of growing out in the forefront here

Doc,

the only rock phosphate I can find locally is Epsoma Triple Super Phosphate. 0-45-0., is that OK? The web site really doesn't say much about it except it's granular.

However the Peace of Mind Tomato does say it includes rock phosphate. And the Dr Earth just says potassium phosphate. Both are in my soil already.

Again, thanks to you and all the others I have been picking up pointers from, my buds are really impressing the select few that have had a chance to try some. The Cream Carmel, Original Berry, Diesel, and White Widow are top notch highs.

The star of the show so far are 4th generation DP White Widow clones of clones I just finished growing. It's devastating, almost a narcotic feeling like I took a pill or got a shot of something. Even stronger than the mum. A female friend of mine that I gave some to said her husband thinks the stuff is laced with something she gets so wasted. We have found a few seeds so far from the pollination by the Querkle male. Never did get a chance to sample the Querkle. Three males, one no sprout and one sprouted, looked good then shriveled up and died.

My friends friend that gets all the California bud said to my friend "Your friend sure seems to know what he is doing". That made me feel pretty good.

What a ride from hempy stoner proof to going Zen with organics! Takes me a few runs to completely change my ways though I am moving in a more organic direction every day.

Just like the plants grow from no leaves, to one, to 4, to 3 bladed, 5, 7, 9, 11 and even 13 bladed leaves......we all grow. Or at least we should!

I still tell people who are brand new to growing to go hempy and stoner proof.

Doc,

the only rock phosphate I can find locally is Epsoma Triple Super Phosphate. 0-45-0., is that OK? The web site really doesn't say much about it except it's granular.

However the Peace of Mind Tomato does say it includes rock phosphate. And the Dr Earth just says potassium phosphate. Both are in my soil already.

Again, thanks to you and all the others I have been picking up pointers from, my buds are really impressing the select few that have had a chance to try some. The Cream Carmel, Original Berry, Diesel, and White Widow are top notch highs.

The star of the show so far are 4th generation DP White Widow clones of clones I just finished growing. It's devastating, almost a narcotic feeling like I took a pill or got a shot of something. Even stronger than the mum. A female friend of mine that I gave some to said her husband thinks the stuff is laced with something she gets so wasted. We have found a few seeds so far from the pollination by the Querkle male. Never did get a chance to sample the Querkle. Three males, one no sprout and one sprouted, looked good then shriveled up and died.

My friends friend that gets all the California bud said to my friend "Your friend sure seems to know what he is doing". That made me feel pretty good.

Please do not use that Epsoma product. Superphosphate will kill all the bacteria and fungi in your mix.

Soft Rock Phosphate is more calcium than anything else.....along with colloidal minerals. It's not being used as a source of P as in NPK. It is used to mineralize the soil and make happy microbes.

Epsoma does indeed make Soft Rock Phosphate....I've got some. You'll more than likely find it at a garden center or nursery.

Got my soil all mixed up over the weekend. I think it was 12 cups of EWC that make up a 5lb bag, so I have about half a bag left over. This is what I mixed up

4cuft base soil (happy frog / roots 707 mix)
2cups: blood, bone, bloom guano, greensand, lime, azomite

16cups: EWC

8cups: mushroom compost

1cup: gypsum

1.5 cup: Soft Rock Phosphate

~.5 cup mycorrhizae

Mixed up really well on some leftover panda film I had lying around.. It actually works really well, not as good as a tarp, but as long as you're careful it isn't hard. I'm storing it in a 32 gal trash can, it fills it up to about 6-8" from the rim, then I watered it with 2 gal plain tap water and molasses with a little bit of EWC and compost mixed in which was then just dumped on top.

I've been harvesting my smaller mite damaged plants just to get them out of the way and get healthier plants in there, so all the trimmings and stems have been added to the bin over the past 2 weeks.. When I was turning the soil I could barely see any of the leaves, and the stems were barely visible too. I enjoy recycling and I hope to see some good results from this.

Back
Top Bottom