Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

IHG DOLATO IN FIRST RUN KIT SOIL - DAY #30 OF 12/12

full

full

:rofl: That’s just crazy talk, Krip! o_O

What's your pH? PPM of runoff?

Maybe if you were more careful with your pH you wouldn't have that resin problem.

Geez! I don't know! :eek:
My combo PH Pen/TDS Meter has been relegated to a stir-stick for kit nutes! :rofl:

Doc and Gang,

I've got some leaf issues going on and I'm getting a wide range of "causes" from my research. I'd like to get this figured out. I suspect its something to do with the soil.

This is the third grow in the same batch of second run soil. The previous grows also had similar issues. Doc suggested earlier that I might have to much organic matter in the soil. I did put some leaves and roots in after each grow, but not that much.

I have four plants and two strains that are all exhibiting the same issue. Some are worse than others. Today is day 20 of 12/12. The burnt/dark spots began to show prior to transplant and 12/12 but they seem to be getting worse and today, I started getting leaf tip curl along with the crispy ends and edges. The affected leaves are all fans, located throughout the plant.

Temps are upper 60s night -upper 70s days at the canopy. Humidity 40-50s at night, 50-to lower 60s during the day.

All four plants were slow to develop so I switched to 12/12 while still in one gallon pots. They did not have the typical root ball (not as dense) when I transplanted. I transplanted 5 days ago and added some roots and a handful of EWC at the base of the root ball. RBs were scored and dusted with Roots!. They received a full Transplant+Tea drench at the time. Pots are still quite heavy.

They're getting close to needing their first CAT - thinking this weekend, but wondering if a Rescue drench would be more appropriate. What do ya think?

Evenin Mike...can i ask you, how much EWC's are in this batch of soil and how much trim and roots.
Doc's instructions say to add between 20 to 40 pounds of EWC's to every 3.8 cu. ft. bale of ProMix. The microbial population in our soil basically cant breath when there is too much organic matter in it.
I have made this mistake once , with a batch of Doc's soil . I was putting in too much extra pruned leaves , trim etc. into soil that was cooking. I was also on the high side for EWC's, Thats when i started to 'cut' every run with fresh PM and after the first run , which i give 30 pounds for...All subsequent runs get one 15 pound bag. Remember, what we put in ...stays in, it never goes away , so adding fresh PM along with a bit of EWC's and Doc's amendment is the way to go ,..to get the most out of our soil. Mike , if those plants were mine i would not give the two CD's. now. I would go with a rescue Drench and following that , straight water W/a lil Tea. Your enviro is proper,..pots are off the floor. Your water supply is proper?

Hey gang...Doc is temporarily unavailable right now. Lets all hope for his speedy return.....

Evenin Mike...can i ask you, how much EWC's are in this batch of soil and how much trim and roots.
Doc's instructions say to add between 20 to 40 pounds of EWC's to every 3.8 cu. ft. bale of ProMix. The microbial population in our soil basically cant breath when there is too much organic matter in it.
I have made this mistake once , with a batch of Doc's soil . I was putting in too much extra pruned leaves , trim etc. into soil that was cooking. I was also on the high side for EWC's, Thats when i started to 'cut' every run with fresh PM and after the first run , which i give 30 pounds for...All subsequent runs get one 15 pound bag. Remember, what we put in ...stays in, it never goes away , so adding fresh PM along with a bit of EWC's and Doc's amendment is the way to go ,..to get the most out of our soil. Mike , if those plants were mine i would not give the two CD's. now. I would go with a rescue Drench and following that , straight water W/a lil Tea. Your enviro is proper,..pots are off the floor. Your water supply is proper?

Hey gang...Doc is temporarily unavailable right now. Lets all hope for his speedy return.....
Hey Dugs,

When I recooked for run 2, I added approx. 15lbs. EWC. Trim and roots are a little harder to gauge.

Some history: I cooked up three kits worth of soil summer of 17. The grow (#9) (19 plants-I didn't use all of this first run soil as I had some left) began in Sept. As I trimmed/pruned, leaves went into the remaining soil. I didn't think I added a lot, but it was a while ago and at my age - who remembers?!. The next grow (#10) I used the remaining first run soil for 9 plants. Again, adding in leaves here and there to the previous grow's soil. Summer of '18 I recooked the soil from grow's 9 and 10 per instructions, adding in the roots and the fan leaves from the previous harvest. This soil sat for almost three months. I "watered" it occasionally to keep it moist. Going into Grow #11 (Sept. '18) I found a fair amount of un-decomposed matter - leaves, stems and root clumps and removed them as I filled pots. This run had similar issues as I'm currently experiencing. At the time, Doc could only suggest it was due to to much organic matter as you've suggested. Based on this, I did not add any more leaves to the soil in storage, which was used for this grow (#12).

FWIW, I can see an occasional small - ping pong ball or smaller - clump of root mass on the top of the soil, and I'm sure throughout the pot, in the current grow that didn't get consumed in the cooking process.

Regarding my water: I use city water. The last time I checked the annual water report, it was within the range we need. I do aerate the water with an air stone for at least 24 hours prior to use to remove the chlorine.

I agree with your assessment re a rescue drench - just needed reassurance from an expert. :thanks:

I'm thinking I may abandon the soil after this grow (not do a round three) and start fresh. Thoughts?

Hey Mike....yup, i would either start fresh with new PM OR you could just 'cut in' fresh PM as this will fix the too much organic matter issues. Up to you but either method will work OK. Yes , i stand by my assessment of too much OM in your soil. I have done exactly as you and thru asking Doc about it and changing my cooking methods slightly, it worked...i did indeed have too much OM in my soil.
I have to be honest though,..i don't like the idea of using city water....has a lot of other stuff in it that is not good other than chlorine. Don't forget about the chloramine as well. Why not get a small sample of it tested AFTER your prep. methods with it. May be a good idea to find out how it is , just prior to u using it. At any rate , i believe you are 'on point' with your grow and you seem to be aware of issues...good on ya Mr! Enjoy the day Mike.:high-five:

Back
Top Bottom