Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Frankly, I'd skip the Brix. It really doesn't contribute much by the end of bloom. It's more effective on leaf than calyx.

:Namaste:
I stop brix 2 weeks before chop as well

I need a little advice on pruning.

I know Doc recommends pruning everything below the 5th node.

I'd like to know how far up from the dirt do you trim. Meaning - how many of the lower branches you leave.

I don't really trim anything during veg. So, by the time it's ready to transplant and flip - it's a pretty hairy mess. I thin it out quite a bit for clone clippings. Then defoliate about week 3 (end of the stretch)

I feel like I'm leaving too much undergrowth that is just a hassle to trim. The work / reward ratio isn't in proportion.

I know a picture would help - but that's not really an option for me.

Thanks gang!

I need a little advice on pruning.

I know Doc recommends pruning everything below the 5th node.

I'd like to know how far up from the dirt do you trim. Meaning - how many of the lower branches you leave.

I don't really trim anything during veg. So, by the time it's ready to transplant and flip - it's a pretty hairy mess. I thin it out quite a bit for clone clippings. Then defoliate about week 3 (end of the stretch)

I feel like I'm leaving too much undergrowth that is just a hassle to trim. The work / reward ratio isn't in proportion.

I know a picture would help - but that's not really an option for me.

Thanks gang!
Hi Delta,

I dislike trimming those “popcorn” buds that form in the lower canopy when allowed to grow. As you pointed out, they are time consuming with little reward. I like to pour my drenches from a measured 5 gal bucket in to the plants pots, so I remove all lower branches, similar to this Malawi. First lower branch is 12-18 inches up from the soil line.

Then when ready to flip I snip every sprout below the 5-6th on each branch, and send into the flower room. I don’t trim anymore after that. Doc’s pruning tech has cut down greatly on the amount of shaded lower popcorn buds for me, plus more air flow too.

Sup Brix gang,

Hi, how’s it going? You all having a good spring so far? Mine is going good and I have been wicked busy. Hopefully that changes soon cuz I feel like I’m missing some time in the garden and high brix forum!

New updates about my first high brix

First run soil mix cooking went well I think and it ended up cooking longer than planned. The plan was to have some seeds planted sometime end of April and I was able to do it today. I followed the guide to a T and took some pictures for the journal :) Hope yall like what you see. I am excited/looking forward to smoking high brix bud for the first time !

Some of you may be wondering what I will be growing for strains. I have a few from dynasty seeds and kind of had a hard time deciding which to go with. I have the following (starduster, bluniverse, super silver blue magoo, birds of paradise, and blue coffin) , today I decided on using Birds of paradise and Starduster. I never had those strains or dynasty seeds before, any feedbacks would be appreciated. For this run I decided to use three seeds of both strains. I kind of want to try another batch for outdoor too but haven’t decided for sure yet. Has anyone done high brix outdoors? If so, how did that work out? I think I might be late into the year for planting outdoors, I figured I could start a few under 24hrs light for now until it’s big enough for transplant outdoor. Tbh I’m curious about high brix outdoor vs indoor and have been wondering if anyone has done that kind of comparison with same genetics?

PS: My first journal will be coming soon. Also yall have a great Monday!

Attachments

• thumbnail4.jpg
    thumbnail4.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 80
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 77
  • thumbnail3.jpg
    thumbnail3.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 93
Hey Dopy! Beautiful Malawi! :yummy:

Is that pic after you snipped al below 5-6 nodes? So those bottom branches where the tops are a foot or more from the canopy, you keep those and they produce?

:passitleft:

No I haven’t clipped anything in that photo, still was in veg. Just showing how high above the soil the lower branches were. On flip day, I prune everything below 5-6 nodes, and tie the tall tops to the tomatoe cage, so the shorter ones are at the same height.

:passitleft:

It looks more like the sugar was sprayed on than pressed on, but whatever the case, it has me salivating!

Hey Puffy! Why not use the Duggan method which is 15ml of drench per gallon of water? I like and some others like doing the cat drenches a little lighter so say 12ml instead of 15.

So 1/2 would be about 60ml and if you are using 4 gallons of water then you're good.

How many plants do you have and what size pots are they in?

Thanks dynamo1. at 1 ml per gal of soil, that's 40 ml. So that's 2/3s of 1/2 bottle, thanks !! I don't want to screw up now, so 40ml it is. Another question is will tomatoes or peppers grow in hi-brix, without the foliars or do you still foliar? and what is minimum size pot for tomato??

Thanks dynamo1. at 1 ml per gal of soil, that's 40 ml. So that's 2/3s of 1/2 bottle, thanks !! I don't want to screw up now, so 40ml it is. Another question is will tomatoes or peppers grow in hi-brix, without the foliars or do you still foliar? and what is minimum size pot for tomato??

They will most definitely grow in High Brix....Amazingly well.

Use the foliars. 7 gallons, but make sure the medium doesn't get hot.

Back
Top Bottom