Doc Bud Tries The G8 450 LED From Dorm Grow!

Met some guys in Norcal a few months ago. They grew in 10x10 raised beds....ONE PLANT in each bed. 6 lbs per plant average......

DAMN!!! yeah one plant in this case will last me 2+ years of heavy medicating....10x10 raised beds+ one plant= ENVY/LOVE.

....one day....hopefully........

buttt till then ill continue to enjoy the beauty and ease of LED growing.:high-five:

We're starting week 10 of bloom today. She's still drinking water, getting sticky and fatter. Maybe harvest in a week or two? I'm VERY impressed with this light and the red companion light.

When I chop, weigh, test, etc. I'll do a retrospective journal and talk about some of the things that happened along the way and then people will have a very good idea about the quality of the light and the company that sells it.

Picture_006202.jpg
Picture_005219.jpg
Picture_003233.jpg
Picture_002232.jpg
Picture_001237.jpg

Obviously very good results, and you could fit at least 2-3 more plants that size correct?

As with most other LED grows, I think it more then proven that LEDs can outperform HPS when efficiency is considered, probably even if not. And if they last as long as claimed(LEDs in general I mean not this specific model), 3 years with normal use with somewhere around 75-90% lumen decrease, they are superior to HPS on all levels IMO. So to me the question starts becoming whose LEDs are better then another's????

These perform well and are middle of road i will say on price point, I would love to see a comparison grow, wonder if 2 sponsors or more be up for that?

Obviously very good results, and you could fit at least 2-3 more plants that size correct?

As with most other LED grows, I think it more then proven that LEDs can outperform HPS when efficiency is considered, probably even if not. And if they last as long as claimed(LEDs in general I mean not this specific model), 3 years with normal use with somewhere around 75-90% lumen decrease, they are superior to HPS on all levels IMO. So to me the question starts becoming whose LEDs are better then another's????

These perform well and are middle of road i will say on price point, I would love to see a comparison grow, wonder if 2 sponsors or more be up for that?

I would grow 2 plants like this under this light....but not 3. Depending on the shape and size, a person could get up to 4 good sized plants. This one is going to yield in the 3oz range, as far as I can tell. Not bad if you do the math compared to a 1000 watt light.

Gorgeous looking plant Doc!!! LED definitely has impressed me enough to switch over completely :) You did an excellent job as always testing this light out! Very healthy plant and nice fat nuggies!

Update:

I'll do a retrospective, highlights only journal to sum up this grow in the next few days. I harvested the plant on the 27th. It was absolutely beautiful and could have kept growing another week or two easily. Still green, just getting frostier day by day.

I'll have final weights by the weekend....looking like 3-4 oz based on my trained eye estimating yield on a strain I know....which is an ounce shy of what I get from the HID....for twice the power consumption.

They are the most visually appealing buds I've harvested in quite a while. I almost had a heart attack yesterday, because I went into the drying room without my reading glasses and the hanging buds looks white and fuzzy: "$#IT!!! the buds are all moldy!"

Ah....nope....that's resin. These buds are so frosty I think some people might be scared off by them, as if they're not real or have been sprayed like a christmas tree.

I LOVE this light! What a privilege to have this opportunity!

For anyone on the fence about LED and for all you folks who want to grow personal meds in a small space, this little light combo will do the job....and it will do it very, very well.

Harvest pics coming when it's dry, along with the retrospective.

Thanks DormGrow.com!!!

Update:

I'll do a retrospective, highlights only journal to sum up this grow in the next few days. I harvested the plant on the 27th. It was absolutely beautiful and could have kept growing another week or two easily. Still green, just getting frostier day by day.

I'll have final weights by the weekend....looking like 3-4 oz based on my trained eye estimating yield on a strain I know....which is an ounce shy of what I get from the HID....for twice the power consumption.

They are the most visually appealing buds I've harvested in quite a while. I almost had a heart attack yesterday, because I went into the drying room without my reading glasses and the hanging buds looks white and fuzzy: "$#IT!!! the buds are all moldy!"

Ah....nope....that's resin. These buds are so frosty I think some people might be scared off by them, as if they're not real or have been sprayed like a christmas tree.

I LOVE this light! What a privilege to have this opportunity!

For anyone on the fence about LED and for all you folks who want to grow personal meds in a small space, this little light combo will do the job....and it will do it very, very well.

Harvest pics coming when it's dry, along with the retrospective.

Thanks DormGrow.com!!!

A huge thank you to DocBud and the entire staff at 420Magazine for allowing us to do a candid grow with our line of G8LED Indoor Grow Lights made with the Optimal 8-Band Technology. :Namaste:

G8-450 LED Grow Light - 12+ Square Feet of Coverage
G8-90RR Flower Booster

We truly appreciate DocBud's expertise and candid commentary in showcasing the quality and growing capability of our G8LED grow lights. The G8LED review provides detailed insight to growers looking for a quality brand for indoor growing. For all questions please email us at info@dormgrow.com.

DormGrow.com would like to offer a Discount Code to all of DocBud's subscribers to use in your shopping cart at

Discount Code - 420MAG
:420:

Doc and Dorm grow.

the area coverage says 12sqft.
I am using 600wHPS in a bit less than 9 sq feet right now for 3 or 4 plants but plan on one day getting a 4x4 tent.

Would the G8450 and 90 be a little over kill for my current space? and I can i assume I would need more when moving into a 4x4 tent?

Awesome results DocBud...

As I have said before I think the verdict is in that LED will outperform HPS on a Wattage basis(if not overall), to me the question is how does each LED panel compare to another. Being such a wide range of pricing in this area I think that it is the area that needs investigation.

That is why I have started a side by side grow with two different LED manufacturers, out of respect to Dormgrow will not mention names here.

Ronnie8669 (I think that the number in his handle) has started one too.

good idea...i wonder how much, if any, advantage a $1500 lamp provides over one that costs a fraction. seems like the M.O. of many vendors until very recently was to simply brand an alibaba product and triple the price. Now we see vendors being a lot more candid. The prices have dropped with legit competition.

i use a lamp i got on ebay. seems fine but its the only led lamp i ever knew. it def grows tomatoes.

Doc and Dorm grow.

the area coverage says 12sqft.
I am using 600wHPS in a bit less than 9 sq feet right now for 3 or 4 plants but plan on one day getting a 4x4 tent.

Would the G8450 and 90 be a little over kill for my current space? and I can i assume I would need more when moving into a 4x4 tent?

Hi Hash Hound,
The G8-450 / G8-90RR combo will be fine for your space. Just maintain the correct distances from the lights to the top of your canopy - Proper Distance of Full Spectrum LED Grow Lights | Dorm Grow
When you move into your larger space you can either add the G8-240 or keep a small perimeter clear to make sure you have adequate coverage for your entire tent.

Final Summary

First LED Grow: My Experience with the G8-450 and G8-90RR

The packages arrived in perfect condition, with the products safely packed. It was simplicity in itself to install the lights...an eye bolt in the ceiling and the lights come with their own hardware which works perfectly.
Picture_018100.jpg

Picture_003231.jpg

I had 3 Tahoe OG clone which I vegged under the 450 without the 90 watt red light. I chose the smallest of these three and put it into a 3 gallon pot, in High Brix soil.
0011653.JPG

IMG_55252.jpg

And then, I put it into bloom. For the bloom cycle, I also hung the 90watt RR light right alongside the 450.

IMG_55922.JPG
IMG_55914.JPG

IMG_55962.JPG

And it grew

IMG_56151.JPG
IMG_56144.JPG

And grew

IMG_56712.JPG

And grew!

IMG_56933.jpg

IMG_57332.JPG

Here's what I noticed:

The plant under the LED had considerably less stress, nicer looking leaves and what looked like more trichome formation than the HID lights. It also grew well in a smaller pot, as this plant would not have done well under 1000 watts of HPS in a 3 gallon pot!

I ended up harvesting 3 ounces and 3 grams from a single plant, in a 3 gallon pot, using Doc Bud's Hi-Brix Blend soil, drenches and sprays.

IMG_58683.jpg
IMG_58711.JPG

Here's where it gets interesting:

The other two plants that were vegged under the G8-450 were flowered under 1000 watt HPS. They finished about 2 weeks sooner and each yielded just under 6 oz....which is a pretty big plant.

The LED plant yielded just over half that much, but did so with far less energy use. Not only is the actual wattage of the LED less than half of the HPS I use, it doesn't generate a considerable amount of heat which meant I didn't use as much AC, which also saved money.

The finished product is slightly different too. Bag appeal is fantastic in both versions, but the trichomes are more visible in the LED product and the aroma is a bit sweeter and fresher. The effect is identical between the two, but the LED smoke is just a tad more flavorful than the HID version, although both are smooth and delicious.

So, I essentially "outgrew" my 1000 watt HPS lighting, watt for watt, AND I have a product every bit as good if not better than the HID version all for less cost.

I want more LED's! This was really a very positive, very eye-opening and very fun project! I can also tell everyone that during the grow I had interaction with Dorm Grow and these guys are true gentlemen. I can definitely give them a :thumb: for their product and their service.

Doc Bud

Back
Top Bottom