Doc Bud Tries The G8 450 LED From Dorm Grow!

Great Summary and outline of the test run Docbud! Question, the 2 plants that were under the HPS, were they also in 3 gallon pots, or were they transplanted to larger ones?

Amazing job on testing the lights and those plants looked mighty healthy and frosty! Matter of fact I think I can smell it from here! LOL:thumb::thumb::headbanger:

Great Summary and outline of the test run Docbud! Question, the 2 plants that were under the HPS, were they also in 3 gallon pots, or were they transplanted to larger ones?

Amazing job on testing the lights and those plants looked mighty healthy and frosty! Matter of fact I think I can smell it from here! LOL:thumb::thumb::headbanger:

Thanks Ice! I put the other two plants into 7 gallons, per usual. The LED definitely delivered. No doubt about it.

great grow and report DOC!!!!!:cheer:

LED is clearly going to be a strong force more and more in the near future!

That bud looks B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!

For years I've been awaiting this tipping point. Hell, it was basic engineering + optical physics so it was more or less inevitable. Looks like we're there. Next time (if there is a next time for you) I would love to see A:B labs as well as your g/W and subjective evaluation. I'd also be totally enamored with objective opinions against the Lush Dominator 2xXL, Advanced DS XML350 & Kind K3 (if we could get them on board as sponsors) against the G8 450.

As always, great work, solid scientific temperament.

For years I've been awaiting this tipping point. Hell, it was basic engineering + optical physics so it was more or less inevitable. Looks like we're there. Next time (if there is a next time for you) I would love to see A:B labs as well as your g/W and subjective evaluation. I'd also be totally enamored with objective opinions against the Lush Dominator 2xXL, Advanced DS XML350 & Kind K3 (if we could get them on board as sponsors) against the G8 450.

I agree, the tipping point is here. Definitely wasn't the case a mere two years ago. I can't wait to see what comes up in the next 2 years! For indoor growing, LED makes plenty of sense.

Some of us having already started direct comparison grows of different LED panels, I have one and Ronnie has one.

Ronnie is comparing two of the more expensive lights, I got a side by side going with an expensive light and cheaper Chinese sourced one(well my understanding is that 98% are Chinese made lights, some just imply they are assembled in USA)

Great Product Review! When I first started growing there was a grow shop I went to that sold LED light panels and wanted $1300 for a 200x 1 watt LED panel. I was not convinced the technology was producing anything except comparable to Florescent lighting at the time and did not purchase a LED panel, I have kept monitoring LED grow light advancements until we finally have efficient lighting that can grow plants comparable to High Pressure Sodium equivalency and above. If you were setting up a new grow area would you purchase the Dorm Grow G8 450 LED panel to use as your light source?

Great Product Review! When I first started growing there was a grow shop I went to that sold LED light panels and wanted $1300 for a 200x 1 watt LED panel. I was not convinced the technology was producing anything except comparable to Florescent lighting at the time and did not purchase a LED panel, I have kept monitoring LED grow light advancements until we finally have efficient lighting that can grow plants comparable to High Pressure Sodium equivalency and above. If you were setting up a new grow area would you purchase the Dorm Grow G8 450 LED panel to use as your light source?

This particular light casts a 2x4 footprint, so I would use it in a grow tent for a small personal grow for sure. They make larger lights...a 900watt version and a 600 for example. I'd use several of those in place of 1000watt HPS on a mover. So yes, I'd purchase these lights based on my experience with the 450.

There are some other considerations that need exploring:

1. How would the light do with a sulphur vape?
2. How well does it hold up to very light overspray from foliar feeding?

For starters. Those factors are important for a small or medium sized grow....I consider a small grow 4000 to 8000 watts. Anything below that is a micro grow in my terminology. Microbrew, microgrow....both have their advantages over production style growing.

I'm a small grower.

Again, great journal. Allegorically speaking, what a difference a day makes.

Speaking of which, the G8-90RR LED All Red UFO. In your small grow (by your definition) were the red attenuators tuned to 730nm to decrease the time needed in darkness or were they set to trigger the Emerson Enhancement Effect via alternating PS1 & PS2's red peak? I couldn't derive the answers from DormGrow's Internet presence.

Again, great journal. Allegorically speaking, what a difference a day makes.

Speaking of which, the G8-90RR LED All Red UFO. In your small grow (by your definition) were the red attenuators tuned to 730nm to decrease the time needed in darkness or were they set to trigger the Emerson Enhancement Effect via alternating PS1 & PS2's red peak? I couldn't derive the answers from DormGrow's Internet presence.

That's a really good question and I'm sorry to say I don't have the answer to it.

Perhaps DormGrow will chime in?

There are some other considerations that need exploring:

1. How would the light do with a sulphur vape?
2. How well does it hold up to very light overspray from foliar feeding?

Cant address #1, but not had a problem with #2 yet with any of the LEDs I have used, of course turn off lights before foliar spraying and waiting about an hour after so anything that gets on exterior of light has dried out by then.

You really should check out the comparisons Ronnie and I got going. They are the next level of testing of LEDs IMO, as I said before I think the question is settled if LEDs can make good buds compared to HPS, the question now is what panels are the best value for each grower.

I have given some ideas to 420 on how this type of comparison could be done to the benefit of the growing community as a whole, but did not get any feedback. SO I have started my own and hopefully others, like Ronnie has done, can help get this question answered.

Hey Doc Bud just wanted to say good work here with the LED grow an I have been reading all your journals for awhile now an they are all great! Since my first post I can't PM you but was hoping I could get you to PM me when you can I would like to get one of your kits.

Thanks

I don't mean to bump an older thread to the top but I just ordered these lamps (G8LED 240-watt plus the recommended UFO Red 90-watt) and came across this thread while reading user reviews of these lights.

I have a question about the flip-to-flower process that I hope Doc or another knowledgeable person can answer.

Since these LED lights are full spectrum, there are no switches to set or bulbs to swap out when transitioning from 18-6 to 12-12.

So is the switch to flowering mode nothing more than resetting the timer on your lights (and adding the optional UFO Red 90-watt lamp)?

Thanks in advance.

I don't mean to bump an older thread to the top but I just ordered these lamps (G8LED 240-watt plus the recommended UFO Red 90-watt) and came across this thread while reading user reviews of these lights.

I have a question about the flip-to-flower process that I hope Doc or another knowledgeable person can answer.

Since these LED lights are full spectrum, there are no switches to set or bulbs to swap out when transitioning from 18-6 to 12-12.

So is the switch to flowering mode nothing more than resetting the timer on your lights (and adding the optional UFO Red 90-watt lamp)?

Thanks in advance.

You are correct. Just change the timer for 12on, 12off and add the UFO on the same outlet.

FWIW, I'll be starting a journal featuring two of Dorm Grow's larger lights very soon.

Thanks for sharing your grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

In the future, whenever you complete a journal, please use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post, so we can be alerted to move it for you.

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Doc - I have another question for you I hope you can answer. I've read of folks running into Cal-Mag issues when using LED grow lights due to light spectrum deficiencies and that a Cal-Mag supplement is absolutely essential. These G8LED lamps are supposedly 8-band, full-spectrum growing lights so I'm hoping that means that I shouldn't have the Cal-Mag problems that other early-adopters of LED technology have experienced.

Did you run into any Cal-Mag issues using the G8LED lamp?

Doc - I have another question for you I hope you can answer. I've read of folks running into Cal-Mag issues when using LED grow lights due to light spectrum deficiencies and that a Cal-Mag supplement is absolutely essential. These G8LED lamps are supposedly 8-band, full-spectrum growing lights so I'm hoping that means that I shouldn't have the Cal-Mag problems that other early-adopters of LED technology have experienced.

Did you run into any Cal-Mag issues using the G8LED lamp?

Hey John,

I had not trouble with issues like that....but my soil has far more calcium in it than most. I don't think it's an issue with the lights so much as an issue with soil. Folks need to use better soil.

I'll be starting a journal with 2 G8-600's on a single tray. Probably tomorrow or the day after.

Back
Top Bottom