Doc Bud's High Brix - Strawberry Cough - Pineapple Express

OK, I had some femmed seeds of the above strains. Popped 8 of the SC and 2 of the PE.....all 10 germinated under optimal conditions in High Brix soil.

I transplanted them into 7 gallon pots 2 days ago.

IMG_27893.JPG

Here's the scoop on the soil:

IMG_27881.JPG

Bottom half of pot consists of 1 part my old super soil (modified subcool recipe)
3 parts Vermisoil,
1/2 bag of Alaskan Forest Humus,
Rock Powders (foundational minerals for High Brix) 6 parts CaC03, 5 parts Soft Rock Phosphate, 3 parts Gypsum. I mixed I cup of this per 9 gallons of soil.
1/2 cup Azomite
1 cup Rock n Chicken
IMG_27873.JPG

Top half is recycled re-composted soil from my OG Kush grow, re-mineralized, humus added.

They were well watered with Nature's Own microbial tea mixed with 9 parts of water.

After all that hard work, I went to the hydro shop, and lo and behold what did I see?

IMG_27863.JPG

IMG_27851.JPG

This stuff looks just perfect for a starting soil that needs only rock powders and trace minerals. So, I got a couple bags and did the following:

per bag of Vermifire

1/2 bag Alaskan Forest Humus
1 cup rock powders
1/2 cup Azomite
1/2 cup Nature's Own Soil Activator and Tea.

Mixed it up in the mixer, repeated with another bag, put 'em in the Rubbermaid, watered in 3 gallon of RO and left it to cook!

I've got some cuttings coming, which I'll try in this soil. I'm expecting a soil report on unamended Vermisoil any day now....Then FFOF....Then we'll see.

I'm working on a Doc Bud's Bags to Brix's kit, tailored to commercial soils that we all seem to find.

Re: Doc Bud's High Brix: Strawberry Cough, Pineapple Express

I am definitely in for this one Doc!!!

Whats your feeding regiment going to be this run?

I am definitely in for this one Doc!!!

Whats your feeding regiment going to be this run?

Well, They're in a pretty hot soil...1/4 as hot as my old Super soil, but also with the Rock n Chicken added....so I'm looking at very little feeding for a while. Tea every watering for sure. I'll probably do the fish ferts once or twice, kelp meal....maybe even the biominerals if I need some nitrogen.

I'll top off the minerals in a few weeks too.

I gave them a good spray with PGR and Amaze today. So far so good.

Here we go again! Can't wait to see the progress on these babies! "Bags to Brix," I love it.

Hey Doc! Good Lookin so far. The bigger the better with pot size is what I am finding out as well.

:peace:

OK....some disappointing new this morning.

I spoke with Jon at International Ag labs regarding the soil test of Vermicrop's Vermisoil.....my favorite soil. I sent him a sample right out of the bag, hoping to get a road map to High Brix soil from bag to brix.

Vermisoil-----REJECTED!!! :thedoubletake:

Way too much potassium, way to high in phosphorus, way to low in calcium. Due to the high levels of phosphorus and especially potassium, this soil is unsuitable for true, high brix growing.

I asked specifically if he knew of a commercial, bagged soil that was a good starting point for high brix and he said to find a soil that comes from Montana....as they have high calcium and low potassium. So, I'm at square one again.

Don't get me wrong, plants will grow in vermisoil. Adding rock powders and such will definitely raise brix levels....this stuff still works...but I'm trying to get a premium soil and it's just not easy!

I'm going to test Sunshine mix....the one without any fertilizer.

Jon recommended using my backyard to make my own high brix soil. Said it would take 3 years.....

So, I'll keep researching and working on this!

Here's where I'm at soil-wise right now:

Sunshine #4
Promix HP
Home Depot top soil (2.39 a bag)

I was instructed to get a generic top soil and add peat moss to it and build from there. So, since Pro Mix and Sunshine #4 are pretty much Peat and not much else, those are good places to start!

We'll get it....we'll find it. High Brix is the way to go....we just have to get the right base soil and go from there.

The plants are doing great!

Things are going well! The roots of the Strawberry Cough and Pineapple seem to have hit the hot zone in the soil....just a bit of leaf twisting, but they look very happy. The High Brix Shine is happening.....we're looking good!

The other plants are also recovering really well. I'm not embarrassed by 4 of them now....I'm impressed by two!

Lessons learned: Use large pots, don't let them go dry, keep the soil energy up.

I think I've been feeding too many microbes in the tea....they gobbled up all the organic matter in the soil. So, larger pots and weaker tea is a good thing, as well as keeping the soil energy up.

So far, so good!

"Purple" Jack Herer. This pheno doesn't totally purple like the one I just chopped.
IMG_28022.jpg

IMG_28093.jpg

IMG_28103.jpg

Strawberry Cough and Pineapple Ex.
IMG_28043.jpg

IMG_28056.jpg

IMG_28033.jpg

Blue Dream
IMG_28064.jpg

IMG_28114.jpg

Lemon Thai: Very Frosty
IMG_28075.jpg

IMG_28083.jpg

I'm in for another episode of high brix growing.

Plagron is a europian company that have a soil made up of only White peat moss, black peat moss, peat moss fibre and perlite
do you think it's worth ordering some to get tested as it seems to be a good base.

I'm in! Interesting results on the soil tests. I still have some leftover promix hp from a while back and so far it has been my favorite medium, pretty reasonable at $45 for 3.8cf

I don't know yet if Promix is a good starting point for high brix. It's an assumption on my part that it might be. What I find interesting is that there isn't a bagged, high brix soil out there.

I'm in for another episode of high brix growing.

Plagron is a europian company that have a soil made up of only White peat moss, black peat moss, peat moss fibre and perlite
do you think it's worth ordering some to get tested as it seems to be a good base.

See above. Could be! I'll be getting some peat based, no fert soils tested and I'll certainly share the results. The Vermisoil test results are in the mail, and I'll post them as soon as i get them.

Potassium levels being too high keeps truly high brix out of reach. Nice plants can be grown....even "good" brix levels can be achieved. But if you want the best, you can't have too much K in the soil.....or too much Na, or P for that matter. Vermisoil, sadly, has excess of all 3.

I don't know yet if Promix is a good starting point for high brix. It's an assumption on my part that it might be. What I find interesting is that there isn't a bagged, high brix soil out there.

You know I didn't even think of that and I'm not sure why someone else hasn't either. I mean there are plenty of ready to use teas so why not a ready to use high brix soil to use those pre-made teas on?

I would think promix or sunshine would work fine, it seems it would be easier to build up a pretty much sterile soil rather then trying to add in the missing parts of a loaded potting soil. That way you can add everything yourself in the correct ratios

Subbed for this one for sure. I live in Montana and have been using some local soil that is really nice. If you need any info on any soils from up here let me know.

I also distill all our drinking water, and I'm wondering if all the minerals taken out of the water could be used for anything. It comes out of the distiller as hard flakes that looks like pure minerals. I'm thinking to add them to some plants and see what happens.

Subbed for this one for sure. I live in Montana and have been using some local soil that is really nice. If you need any info on any soils from up here let me know.

I also distill all our drinking water, and I'm wondering if all the minerals taken out of the water could be used for anything. It comes out of the distiller as hard flakes that looks like pure minerals. I'm thinking to add them to some plants and see what happens.

I was told specifically that a soil from Montana would be the best starting soil for High Brix. You've got high calcium soils up there, I'm told....which is what we want.

We've got brix!

SC and PE have got the shine. I gave them their second foliar (Amaze and PGR) feeding right after the pics, which were taken in the dark. The plants are growing like crazy. We're on track for a very nice grow!

The other stuff is recovering nicely too! The Lemon Thai is going to be epic as is the Jack Herer pheno of the Purple Jack. Blue Dreams will yield well...probably be OK, but they look ragged.
IMG_28211.JPG

IMG_28242.JPG

IMG_28125.JPG

IMG_28134.JPG

IMG_28142.JPG

IMG_28153.JPG

IMG_28172.JPG

IMG_28185.JPG

IMG_28201.JPG

IMG_2822.JPG

IMG_28231.JPG

IMG_28251.JPG

IMG_28162.JPG

DAng....looks like the pots are alive again. I'm seeing positive changes every day.

IMG_28272.JPG

IMG_28283.JPG

IMG_28291.JPG

What's this? Yep! Good old perlite hempy cups! These clones were sick (not mine) and I knew it would take a month to acclimate them to dirt (ezcloner) so I put 'em in hempy cups and fed 'em some salts and BAM, they're happy. In a few days, when I have some roots, I'll put them in soil.
IMG_2826.JPG

Back
Top Bottom