DocBud's Hempy Grow

Ahh results are showing hey :)..... I couldn't believe it at first myself...did a couple 12 day veg plants myself ....Plants are rocking ...keep up good work....Question where are the hole in pot?

I cannot believe the difference once those roots hit the bottom.

Hole is 2" up from bottom. I'm sold on this method and I'm going to incorporate it into my grow system, using it in the BCNL producer for sprouting and vegging, then flowering under the big light.

I'm gonna go 12/12 from seed in hempies....about 20 plants next time.....and so on.

I think you'll be surprised at the buds even with only two weeks of veg.

Plants grown from seed at 12/12 like you're planning on doing tend to have one nice central cola. You can pack em in and do a nice SOG that way, be harvesting in no time.

Hey Tunes, SS....thanks for stopping by my humble grow....

That's my understanding of 12/12 too, one large central cola and maybe some popcorn. I plan on sprouting 20, putting in them in 12 oz hempys....vegging them and flowering them......repeat the process about 25 days prior to harvest.

My thinking right now is that I don't want mother plants just now....I'd rather grow from seeds than clones, cause they're cheaper.

Also, keeping mother plants is a hassle if you want to change strains.....at least that's how I'm looking at it.

Update:

The plants are doing unbelievably well! It has cooled off a little today up here, so my RH got up to 50 percent for a high, and 34 for a low. I was tracking between 20 and 35 for a couple days. Room temps were between 75 and 80 for the whole 24 hour cycle.

Co2 is set at 1000ppm. As long as the outside temps stay reasonable, I'll bump it up to 1500 soon. The generator heats the room a bit.

The plants are growing like 2 sets of leaves a day and about 2 inches in height. The Sativa's are tall, but surprisingly dense, the Indica's a shorter and bushy.

Pics coming soon.

A couple questions for experienced growers:

about 10% of the leaf tips on a couple plants are brown...just the very tip. The rest of the leaves look text book perfect. Does this mean early nute lock? Should I flush?

Lastly, the new growth is vibrant, bright, almost neon green. Not nearly as dark as the more mature leaves. Is this normal?

Water PH 5.8---6.0
Nutes last 2 days
Open Sesame 1/4tsp gallon
CalMag 1tsp gallon
Hygrozyme 3ml gallon
FF Big Bloom 1 tsp gallon

This is less than half strength on the nutes......PPM final solution just under 400....FF says it should be 1100.

All in all I'm literally trippin' on how well this is going. Barring a disaster, I'm going to harvest some good buds from a practice grow.

Cha-ching! Baby.

No, that just means you burned them slightly with your nutes.

I try to do that on purpose to make sure I'm pushing my plants as hard as I can without causing harmful burn.

IMO, those slightly burned leaf tips mean you're right where you need to be with your nutes.

Watch carefully for too much burn, because you're right on the edge, at least with that plant.

Vibrant green new growth is good. The lower growth has less chlorophyll and turns darker with age. The oldest leaves may start yellowing and dropping off soon.

Everything sounds OK, but............................................................

let's see some pics, doc!

Day 3 flower under 1000watt MH
New camera, pics are minutes old.
Today I did my first flush. I watered so there would be lots of runoff.

RO water
CalMag 2tsp gallon
Hygrozyme 8ml gallon
PH'd to 5.8
PH of runoff 6.2
This tells me I don't have much salt buildup, correct?

They'll get a full dose of nutes next watering.

First the one problem plant....there are only 2 leaves on this plant that look like this, the rest seem textbook perfect.
IMG_00245.JPG

Here's the WW plant with the bad leaf:
IMG_00235.JPG

The whole garden:
IMG_00253.JPG

My tallest plant, Blue Dream. Next two pics.
IMG_00196.JPG

IMG_00136.JPG

Nutha garden shot
IMG_00115.JPG

And finally, Crazy Flo. Every leaf is 3 bladed, but she's healthy and doing great.
IMG_00168.JPG

Help, please!

My plants look fantastic....green, growing, bushy, drinking water like crazy. I gave 'em the first full dose of nutes tonite....not quite the 100 percent of the FF schedule.

However, one of the Blue Dreams has a tendency to have crooked leaves on the new growth, and tonite when the light came on I noticed a couple leaves folded in half, with the vein on the bottom and the edges folded up.

This was right after they had spent 12 hours in the dark.

Does this mean anything?
IMG_00272.JPG

IMG_00262.JPG

I also got a strange clone but then clone's have a habit of growing strange. I got one that has alot f 1 leaflet leaves growing from it But rest looks good dude. Nice setup you have going there. I think you will be able to make those be all that they can be. I'll peek in every now and then GL

I also got a strange clone but then clone's have a habit of growing strange. I got one that has alot f 1 leaflet leaves growing from it But rest looks good dude. Nice setup you have going there. I think you will be able to make those be all that they can be. I'll peek in every now and then GL

Ah....could it be because the clones were in the first 2 weeks of flowering when they were taken?

I'm still going strong....didn't kill 'em with the full dose of nutes they got last night.

And....this is a practice grow.
IMG_00285.JPG

The folding and twisting of leaves is usually caused by a sensitivity to pH. This is normal, as some strains have very unique requirements. You're running multiple strains...are you feeding each one differently?

Since this is a practice-grow, as you describe it (personally I think every grow is a practice-grow - lol), take the opportunity to experiment with different pHs and nutrient solution concentrations. One of the nice things about having plants in individual buckets, is the ability to do something to one plant without effecting the others; the latter is often the case with hydroponic growing methods.

Have fun and use this grow to find optimal pH and nutrient concentrations.

thanks for checking in Andy....

I've been really steady on the PH....5.8-----6.2 probably more often right at 5.9. I've got a tri-meter and it's calibrated.

Should I even worry about this? The plants that have the couple twisty/folded leaves are super healthy and are growing like weeds. :smokin:

At this point, I'm thinking feed every 5-7 days, with plain water in between.

Looks really good! The only thing I can think of that i could adjust is your Zn levels, that might be the cause for the little bright green leaves. I ran into that problem with my last grow, everything else was growing great, but the top leaves were bright green and puny. But I wouldnt put too much stock in that, great job so far!

pH should always be a main concern in Hydroponic growing. Although, as I said in my PM, Hempy Buckets are somewhere in the middle b/w hydro and soil and need to be treated as such. It's kind of the best of both worlds and you'll see problems fast if the plants don't like what you are doing. You'd be surprised how quickly, seemingly healthy plants, can develop significant problems. Just stay on top of things and you should be fine. With respect to pH, I would recommend letting your pH rise as your grow progresses towards harvest - as is done by some growers in soil, to make Phosphorus more available in the later stages of Flowering - but not higher than about 6.5.

Sounds reasonable for now. As your plants grow, their water and nutrient demands may increase. And I just want to re-emphasize that different plants have different growth requirements, so take advantage of this opportunity to learn how plants react to different variables.

Well, I think I'll up the PH to about 6.2 on a couple and see what happens.

I am finding out that I am very, very impatient! I want some buds, I want some sugar.......can't these things grow any faster!! :Rasta:

Nope. Steady as she goes....gonna up the C02ppm to 1500 tomorrow, now that it has cooled off a bit up here....and plan for my next grow.

Patients, Doc. Patience. It's the one thing I've really learned over the years - you simply can't rush Nature. <-----whatever that means.

I'd ask around the Forums about increasing you CO2 with lower temps. I don't use CO2 myself, and have no experience with, but I'm under the impression that it should work the other way: Temp. up, CO2 up, temp down, CO2 down.

What source are you using for information about the Hempy Method?

I run about 80-81 degrees with the Co2 up....the burners also heat the room a bit. I've heard that's just about perfect. At night, the C02 is off.

I'm using about 4 different sources of info for the Hempy's...including Hempy's own info. There's not much to know, pretty simple stuff.

I do think all these nutes, potions, powders and oils have gotten way out of control.....lot's of hocus pocus.

So, I'm trying to use my background in chemistry, with my year of botany long ago, to get a handle on things so I can separate fact from fiction. I just need some practical hands-on in reading my plants and learning my trade....which I'm getting now, thanks to you, Setting Sun and several others.

A few months from now, if everything goes right, I'll be growing some decent....;)

Doc, I expect you to yield something decent on this run. I wouldn't accept anything less...there's enough knowledge in these Forums to guide anyone to success, just have to hunt for the answers sometimes.

From the little that I've read about too, you're temps are perfect. I assume temps were a little high before, so now that the ambient temperature has decreased, you can turn up the dial on the Generator without worrying about the heat it gives off.

When the CO2 generator is running, do you notice a measurable increase in grow room temps?

Thanks for the vote of confidence....I think I'm going to yield decently too. ;)

The temps have always been pretty good....71 to about 85 at the highest. I did spike over 90 for a few minutes once, when I was draining the res on the AC, had the air off, the Co2 on.

So, I have my Co2 at 900ppm now....due to the heatwave, which now appears to be over. I'm going to crank it up to 1500 for when the light comes on tonite, which will heat the room up a bit....which is a good thing....we got down to 42 here last night. My low temp was 71, due to the C02 and the light.

So I'd like to be right around 82 @ 1500ppm and about 35-45 RH....which is a pretty accurate description of my grow room.

I spent an hour today talking to some professional growers, and from what they were saying, I may have my light too close to the plants. I'm going to re-arrange them in a circle, around the center of the light so that the lower leaves get light....and rotate the pots 90 degrees every day.

When I ramp up for the next grow, I think I'll get a light mover, even though my footprint is only 4x4. The mover is still optimal. (what they told me...makes sense)

Well, I haven't seen my girls since this AM. I'll go in tonite at about 9 and see how they slept.

That's kinda the idea, except you can do it with a regular reflector as well. I had all my pots touching eachother, which was fine when the plants were smaller. Now, they're all 16 in or higher with fairly dense side branching. So, moving them apart allows more light to the lower leaves.

I underestimate the power of my 1000watt light, when I saw what these guys were doing today, and pondered the reality of an outdoor grow, where there's clouds, sunrise, sunset, etc. I realized that many of us give our plants too little light....but a few give them too much!

Ideally, you should have a "sunrise" with T5's on one side, followed by a 10 hour "noon" under the HPS, and ending with a 1 hour "sunset" under t5's on the other side. Then, rotate the plants daily.

I'm gonna figure out something like that for my next grow. But I have plenty of light for 5 plants, under a 1000watt.

I'm also going to go one more week under MH, before I switch to the HPS....what do you guys think about that?

BTW, the plants responded beautifully to their nutes. They are the healthiest green I've ever seen.

That's kinda the idea, except you can do it with a regular reflector as well. I had all my pots touching eachother, which was fine when the plants were smaller. Now, they're all 16 in or higher with fairly dense side branching. So, moving them apart allows more light to the lower leaves.

I underestimate the power of my 1000watt light, when I saw what these guys were doing today, and pondered the reality of an outdoor grow, where there's clouds, sunrise, sunset, etc. I realized that many of us give our plants too little light....but a few give them too much!

Ideally, you should have a "sunrise" with T5's on one side, followed by a 10 hour "noon" under the HPS, and ending with a 1 hour "sunset" under t5's on the other side. Then, rotate the plants daily.

I'm gonna figure out something like that for my next grow. But I have plenty of light for 5 plants, under a 1000watt.

I'm also going to go one more week under MH, before I switch to the HPS....what do you guys think about that?

BTW, the plants responded beautifully to their nutes. They are the healthiest green I've ever seen.

good luck on your grow doc been doing hempies for about 4 years now.started several years ago with outside grows,moved indoors in 1982 and hydro.tried a few types of hydro (drip,flood and drain,and a wick system).when i started with hempies i watched very closely ph,ppm,temps ect.ect.the real thing to watch is the plant itself as each strain varies when it comes to nute uptake.ive grown flo a few times and find that my best results was using 1/4 of advanced nutrients recommendation with connoiseur.feeding every second watering,watering every second day in a 2.5 gallon container.ph seems to be best around 5.9-6.2(never higher).i also use ro water,and dont add cal mag or anything else except bud builder from the first sight of flower till the final 2 weeks of flush.good luck again and you seem to have a wonderful grow on its way!!!

Back
Top Bottom