Doctor Dank's Perpetual Grow

DoctorDank

Greeting all!

Ok, so I recently started growing, starting with 2 Dr Kripplings Bulk Smash Auto's. I had built a custom cupboard which I fitted out with a 1000w LED, 6" carbon filter and 2 X 20 litre bubble buckets. The set up started off well but after a few weeks, the cupboard began to smell. I tried sealing every gap I could find but I'm no handy man and just couldn't get it right.
So I started looking at grow tents. After doing a fair bit of research, I nailed down a handful of brands with good reviews and began scouring eBay for bargains. I soon discovered that the price difference between an empty tent and a package deal with the same size carbon filter and a T5 light was almost negligible.
As I already had a light and filter, the idea of snapping up a deal on package and grabbing a second tent started to sound good. I did some research on perpetual grows and made up my mind that this was the best course of action. So I picked up a grocell package and a Secret Jardin T90 duel veg & clone tent. I also picked up a 250w CFL and a couple of drip feed systems (more on that later).
I moved my now 50 & 55 day old Bulk Smash Autos into my GroCell with the 1000w LED and fitted the Secret Jardin out with the T5 in the cloning chamber and 250w CFL into the veg chamber.
I recently popped 3 Dutch Passions AutoUltimates and 1 Barneys Farm Blue Cheese Auto. Though I want to have a perpetual garden and clone, I didn't want to waste the seeds so I thought I'd get these out the way before planting my phenos. Here are some photos of my setup.

The Veg Chamber of the Secret Jardin T90
420-magazine-mobile14665083.jpg

A close up of the drip system with seedlings
The two at the back are AutoUltimates, the one at the front left that hasn't quite pushed through is also an AutoUltimate. The one at the front right is the Blue Cheese.
420-magazine-mobile2117496589.jpg

Close up of the two back AutoUltimates
420-magazine-mobile1503989268.jpg

420-magazine-mobile739868254.jpg

Close up the AutoUltimate pre-push through
420-magazine-mobile1523881153.jpg

Close up of the Blue Cheese
420-magazine-mobile1178995198.jpg

I know it's early to put these under lights but the seedlings that had popped looked unhealthy and the one that's about to push through was showing no signs of popping. Since putting them under the lights they've responded well and I have the light sitting comfortably far away from the bulbs heat. I figured if it works, just go with it.

Close up of the GroCell with the 50 day Bulk Smash on the left and the 55 day on the right
420-magazine-mobile525402648.jpg

A slight close up
420-magazine-mobile1849628102.jpg

A few more close ups
420-magazine-mobile711858448.jpg

420-magazine-mobile50053042.jpg

420-magazine-mobile730192085.jpg

The 55 day Bulk Smash has been an easy grow and I've been able to stay on top of PH fluctuations and PPMs. The 50 day has been tough with high PPMs I've been battling to dilute and a PH that continually rises no matter how much I manage it with PH down. I've changed it out completely once but it's still happening and don't want to risk shocking the plant with another change.
I'm starting to get there now, I've reduced the PPM to 620 from 850 over the last 3 days and managed to get the PH under 6. It's looking a lot better than it did a few days ago but it's going to require a bit of management.
I've used Sensi Grow A+B and Sensi Bloom A+B through the Bulk Smash grow along with General Hydroponics FloraNectar Pineapple Rush. Being a complete newb at this, I dosed at pheno levels not knowing the autos require far less. I also misread light burn for nutrient deficiency and dosed them CalMag. Big mistake but I managed to research and rectify.
I'm pretty happy with how they're looking but I've learnt a lesson with finish times promised by the seed company's. The Bulk Smash Autos claim a 55day finish but these seem well off that. I have no idea how long they have to go but they certainly don't look ready now.
So obviously I've started with DWC and done ok so why the change to a drip feed coco coir grow? The answer is, I just don't like the bubble buckets. I have the plants trained (a little) under a net and accessing the reservoir is a pain. The root balls get so big they swallow up the air stones and the height of buckets kills the vertical space. With a 1000w LED, that vertical height is an issue and the plants are showing signs of a little light burn again even at the highest point I get set it.
I've read a lot of good things about growing in coco coir and good things about perlite as well. The best reviews seem to come from a blend of the two so I decided on the Canna Coco 70/30 coco coir/perlite blend. The drip system appealed due to the ease of access to the reservoir, the single reservoir to manage in terms of PH and nutes, and the low profile. I gain about 40cm of vertical height using this over the buckets.
So that's my set up. I'm really enjoying the process of learning and find the process of growing immensely satisfying. Where I'm from, there is a distinct lack of variety in strains and the opportunity to grow everything I've ever wanted to try is really exciting.
When I've finished the bulk smash autos, which I'm guessing is around 3 weeks off, the autos in the veg room will be transferred to the flower tent and I'll be planting my 4 phenos. I have Dutch Passions Durban Poison, Barneys Farm LSD, Cali Connection Green Crack and the pheno version of Dr Kripplings Bulk Smash. I plan to clone all of them and over time keep a favourite or two and cycle through new ones every other grow cycle.
I have a list of my top 20 strains I want to grow and I plan to work my way through them. I'm hoping by the time I've grown all of them that I'll have enough experience to start creating my own strains. I'm getting way ahead of myself but you gotta dream!
Thanks for taking the time to read this long ass post. I plan on updating the journal weekly or more depending on problems I encounter.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I've been called away for work for a week, this will be interesting! I'm not worried about the seedlings, the reserve tank is 127 litres but the bubble buckets are only 20 litres. I topped up this morning but haven't been monitoring how much they've been drinking each day so I hope the reserves will last! Eek!
I haven't been called away in over a year, timing is shithouse!

They survived! PH got real high and there's a bit of browning on the leaves but other than that, they're OK. I'll post pics tomorrow.

Doctor Danks Perpetual Grow

Ok, so after 8 days away and completely unattended, my girls are still looking ok.

420-magazine-mobile985406222.jpg

Each bucket had about 2 litres left and the PH had crept up to 7.9 which can be seen in some of the leaves.

420-magazine-mobile750061473.jpg

420-magazine-mobile706184769.jpg

Overall I'm just relieved that they're alive! I had been imagining coming back to a wilted and unrecoverable mess so this is just a great outcome.

The temps have been averaging between 18.5c and 19.2c which considering how cold it is and the fact that these plants have no heat source other than the LED, this isn't too bad. The humidity is high at 57% but not a lot I can do about that. There is plenty of air circulation and fresh air but the air is being pulled from the garage and it's cold.

I have a big 6" carbon filter pulling out air and the filter from the veg tent has its 6" filter outputting to the flowering tent. I have a decent fan going 24/7 and both a dehumidifying canister and large bag of bicarbonate in the flowering tent. Any other suggestions for getting my humidity levels down are most welcome.

When the tents are closed I have no smell at all. I love this setup!

The babies are fine as I thought they would be.

420-magazine-mobile48500560.jpg

I'm thinking the light probably needs to drop a bit in height, but I had them trained way from the light while I was gone and I'm letting them straighten again before I make any major adjustments.

The grow medium is sitting on the dry side of moist according to the meter but feels sufficiently damp to the touch. They're nice and green and don't appear to need more water, so again, no major adjustments.

The Bulk Smash autos are taking some time to mature. The breeders 55 day grow advice seems way off but that may be due to the colder growing conditions or other factors in not yet experienced enough to diagnose. I'm investing in some of those magnifying jewellers glasses/googles and I'll be checking the trichomes regularly for the remainder of the grow.

Just wanted to add that I got all my seeds from Gorilla and so far I've had 100% germination rate. The seeds come from a variety of breeders and they are all quality seeds. I count myself lucky as I only have bought exactly enough with no back ups as they're expensive.

Almost forget the close ups of the bulk smash!

420-magazine-mobile1253746685.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1151781667.jpg

420-magazine-mobile418480839.jpg

There are heaps of bud sites and I must say, I'm a pretty happy newbie at the moment!

Ok, so I've noticed the coco coir level has sunk a bit so I've added a layer of perlite to the top. I think they look great contrasted against the white which is a nice bonus.

420-magazine-mobile1241298857.jpg

The plants are recovering nicely from the PH fluctuation and are looking mighty pretty.

420-magazine-mobile1139623079.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1510274614.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2017767948.jpg

420-magazine-mobile571884715.jpg

Still working the correct feeding schedule for the babies. I think I may be over watering them a little and I'm monitoring closely at the moment.

420-magazine-mobile1963853570.jpg

HELP!

I have just noticed lots of these popping up around the sites I've trimmed the plant

420-magazine-mobile1237561732.jpg

Has my plant gone hermie? Are these pollen sacks or just new growth?

I've been battling nutrient deficiency this week with plant on the right starting to turn yellow.

420-magazine-mobile979208261.jpg

At first I thought it was light burn but I quickly realised it couldn't be with the plant on the left having leaves at the same height and remaining unaffected.

420-magazine-mobile822761443.jpg

After playing with a few nutrients and not seeing any signs of improvement, I decided to flush the bucket and start again with fresh nutes. I added Sensi Bloom, FloraNecta and balanced the PH to 5.5. It seems to have worked with new growth showing no signs or yellowing.

I think the one on the left is almost ready! Here are some close ups of the buds

420-magazine-mobile1941822518.jpg

420-magazine-mobile929103567.jpg

420-magazine-mobile972415782.jpg

Not sure how long it has left but I'm keeping an eye on it. I'm going for a later harvest as I'm a couch lock loving kinda smoker.

The PH of both plants keeps going up and I'm dosing every second day at the moment. I'm predicting the plant on the right needs about a week and I'm aiming to flush the bucket again on the weekend and add some flushing agent in advance of harvest.

Does anyone have experience with adding a flushing agent to a DWC? Do I leave it in there until the plant had taken it all up or is there a time frame you leave the plant in the solution for? I'm going to be using this stuff:

420-magazine-mobile1066548268.jpg

No substantial growth on the babies. It became obvious I was over watering them and I have adjusted the feeding schedule accordingly.

I have been staying on top of the PH in the reservoir but hadn't been measuring the run off. I found that the run off PH was very high so I gave them a 5.5 PH shower and left the halo waterers off for 2 days. I think the problem is that I have no air stones moving the water around and the PH dosing isn't reaching the entire water mass. Once I have cropped my Bulk Smash, I'll take the air stone from the DWC bucket and put it in the drip system reservoir and see if it improves the situation.

Ok, so I think my oldest Bulk Smash auto is ready to go. I'm planning to flush tomorrow with Flora Kleen and harvest on Sunday. It's now at 76 days and the buds are covered in cloudy trichomes.

420-magazine-mobile241071487.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1843598267.jpg

420-magazine-mobile765829119.jpg

420-magazine-mobile814282006.jpg

420-magazine-mobile726576363.jpg

Flushed the bubble bucket today and added Florakleen to the fresh water. On Sunday I'll do a full defoliation and take some shots before I hang it to dry.

I managed to get a nice little close up of frosty girl through my magnifying glasses.

420-magazine-mobile253977625.jpg

And one of the main cola just because

420-magazine-mobile518387597.jpg

Harvest Day!

This is my first time harvesting and I ended up taking off only the fan leaves with no frost on them.

420-magazine-mobile1486391078.jpg

420-magazine-mobile410551852.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1668795134.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1780176524.jpg

420-magazine-mobile86270615.jpg

420-magazine-mobile324429704.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1059762791.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2142902632.jpg

420-magazine-mobile963589952.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2021171151.jpg

The other Bulk smash has at least a week or more to go judging by how the other matured.

420-magazine-mobile286352505.jpg

420-magazine-mobile363543590.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1522938083.jpg

Well overall it's been a really satisfying experience and I've learnt a lot. I'm hoping for an ounce dried off this one but I'll be happy with whatever. My other babies are growing in a coco coir drip system and I'll be migrating them to the flower tent when I crop the other bulk smash. I have a second drip system ready to go into the veg tent when the move happens.

I would recommend the bubble buckets for a pretty easy grow. Accessing the water reserve is a pain and monitoring the PH and PPM levels is annoying because of this. So far I've found the single water reserve in the coco coir drip system much easier to access and manage. I still have a lot of learning to do with coco coir but that's half the fun!

Back
Top Bottom