Doctors Say Cannabis Treats Meniere's Disease

Truth Seeker

More good news about cannabis. People suffering from intense vertigo and nausea due to an inner ear problem Рa condition of unknown cause and limited susceptibility to conventional medical treatment called M̩ni̬re's disease Рfind significant improvement from cannabis, according to California doctors.

California doctors routinely approve the use of cannabis by Meniere's patients who say that it helps ease their symptoms. "Meniere's causes dizziness, dizziness causes nausea, cannabis relieves nausea," says David Bearman, MD. "I wouldn't be surprised if the symptoms caused Mrs. Gee to be a little depressed and of course cannabis helps that, too."

Robert Sullivan, MD, corroborates: "I've issued many recommendations for Meneire's, as well as tinnitus [ringing in the ears]. It works well enough to make a significant improvement in patients' lives, i.e., symptoms not gone but much abated so they can function and carry on their daily activities, instead of sitting and suffering. It also aids sleep."

R. Stephen Ellis, MD, has given some thought to how cannabis might help in the treatment of Meniere's. "Three possible mechanisms come to mind," he says. "Number one, the anti-anxiety effect of cannabis would be very useful to a Meniere's patient. These people are anxious as can be when they hit the ER. When they get an attack it's as if they are wired – that's why Ativan is one of the treatments, to bring them down. Two would be the anti-nausea effect. Duh! You're barfing and there's a drug that offers relief in 10 seconds. The third is slowing down the vertigo itself – the sensation of spinning caused by the inner ear problem. My patients say cannabis is as good as Benadryl, which is the classic treatment. I recall reading that the auditory nerve does have CB1 receptors. I don't know about the cochlear structure itself."

Source: Doctors say cannabis treats Meniere’s disease « cannablog

Back
Top Bottom