Does coco runoff pH matter?

ThcHemplar

420 Member
Hello, so I'm working on my first grow and just trying to keep and eye on everything. I'm currently feeding my plants about 950ppm at a PH of 6.0 but the runoff is coming out around 700ppm and a PH of 5.3. I'm assuming less nutrients coming out than that's going in is good but is the drop in PH an issue? and if so how could I correct it?

Some say no it doesn’t but I think it can .

Why ?

Okay here is my thinking as I am
Coco myself currently .

So I’ve tested this as well.

If I feed and barely get run off for day two or three times and then check my ph and nutes (ppm) I use . I can watch it climb in ph and ppm . Bit before I feed til barely run off for three days I was every day and run off min 10% and notice my ph was coming out what it was going in. So that tells me it does matter only to the grower as a a way of knowing what is going on in medium.

Make any sense ?

I now feed to run off daily trying to get 10-20% run off of that is the case then checking run off is not important . However I still feel like it’s good to check once a week and see what it says coming out . Hope that helps !

I've never measured it. I only measure and adjust the pH when I mix a new batch of nutrient solution. I've never measured the TDS of my nutrient solutions either. I only use my TDS pen to measure the PPM of my RO's output to check its membrane.

In my opinion, measuring the PPM of nutrient solutions is a holdover from recirculating forms of hydroponics such as DWC or ebb and flow. It is used to maintain the concentration of the re-used nutrient solution as the plants take what they need from it. In drain to waste hydroponic systems such as coco the PPM will be where it needs to be for the concentration of the nutrients used.

If your plants aren't complaining, don't worry about it. Many problems arise from treating non-issues.

Hello, so I'm working on my first grow and just trying to keep and eye on everything. I'm currently feeding my plants about 950ppm at a PH of 6.0 but the runoff is coming out around 700ppm and a PH of 5.3. I'm assuming less nutrients coming out than that's going in is good but is the drop in PH an issue? and if so how could I correct it?
Sounds like they are eating pretty good to me ? As far as the ph drop I am not sure ?

What nutes you using bud ?

No. There is no point in measuring the waste unless you plan on reusing it. If you are going to reuse it then use it on your veggies, NOT your girls

I've never measured it. I only measure and adjust the pH when I mix a new batch of nutrient solution. I've never measured the TDS of my nutrient solutions either. I only use my TDS pen to measure the PPM of my RO's output to check its membrane.

In my opinion, measuring the PPM of nutrient solutions is a holdover from recirculating forms of hydroponics such as DWC or ebb and flow. It is used to maintain the concentration of the re-used nutrient solution as the plants take what they need from it. In drain to waste hydroponic systems such as coco the PPM will be where it needs to be for the concentration of the nutrients used.

If your plants aren't complaining, don't worry about it. Many problems arise from treating non-issues.

Well said

Back
Top Bottom