Does coughing get you higher?

darbb

I would like to know what any one thinks about coughing while your are smoking or if your already stoned, thanks for any help. :allgood:

For the last couple of years I haven't wondered why people cough when they "smoke".

"Make you higher?"

Has something radically new in science changed since I smoked last that makes coughing "good" or makes one higher? I always assumed it was my lungs telling me, none too subtly, to "Get this shit outta here, you're fucking us up!"

I'm babbling..

JUST SAY NO TO SMOKE!

VAPE ON!

Blog on subject:

From HealthDay News:

"People who smoke marijuana for a long time face many of the same kinds of respiratory problems -- such as phlegm, coughing and wheezing -- as long-term cigarette smokers, say researchers at the Yale School of Medicine."

Predictably, the drug warriors are grabbing onto this like a life-preserver after a week of tough news. New research proves that medical marijuana helps AIDs patients, a DEA judge recommends ending their monopoly on research, and Americans for Safe Access sues them in federal court for lying to the public, and all they can say is "but you'll get a bad cough!"
ONDCP: Smoking Marijuana Causes Phlegm, Coughing, and Stuff | Stop the Drug War (DRCNet)

Now that's funny!

My dad always says "You gotta cough to get off"

Yeah, I coughed off a vaporizer, like, once. I think it's more a matter of how much I'm trying to squeeze into my lungs. I usually only cough off bong hits, and usually I get that first tickle when I'm clearing it. I've never really noticed a difference in how high I get, but then again, I cough almost every rip, so maybe I just always get higher :laughtwo: I have had a lot of friends who swear by that idea though. Enough that I'd say theres gotta be something to it.

i dont kno if its true. but i personally have always been told that coughing gets you higher. i even somewhat believe in it, just a lil. but i try not to cough too much bc as i said in a different thread i hate it when i cough so much that i feel like im going to get sick.

i get a real "headie" feeling after coughing my brains out on some good smoke..
the feeling seems to only last a few minutes though....

I think it might be from inhaling/exhaling the air at an extreme speed. (due to coughing heavily) very similar to making yourself lightheaded from "holding in your hit" (lack of oxygen) or if you breathe heavily quickly... you also get that weird headie feeling...
ya know what i mean?

maybe thats why people think coughing gets them higher?

a trick i think gets me higher is,
I'll take a fat rip... inhale real quick. filling my lungs to about 1/2 of their air capacity... then while holding in my hit,
i inhale air till my lungs hit their capacity limit, then i exhale...

I suspect it's something like that thats making people think they're getting high. I was trying to figure out how to explain it and couldn't find the words. Thanks man.

As for holding your hit for eternity; really doesn't matter that much. All you're going to get out of a hit is gotten within the first few seconds, so holding it for 20 more is really just letting your lungs soak up more tar and stuff. I wouldn't worry about it.

I dunno but I mostly only use my gravity bong and i find when i just hold it in and try not to cough it rushes to my head way difff..

i have always felt higher from coughing than just straight hits,
it could be just the more amount of smoke, but regaurdless,
i always get higher when i cough from a bong then when i can clear it otherwise

:passitleft:this is something ive always thought after watching the movie 'Jackie Brown' :peace:

Robert De Niro is told to continue coughing when hes toking a bong 'to get more high'

explanation: when you 'cough' , your lungs are expanding beyond what they normally would, they are 'gasping' for more air, using parts of the lung not normally used. So in reality, you should be absorbing more THC when coughing. :bong:

i remember trying this immediatly after watching the scene. i purposely started to cough on inhaling and started to almost trip i was that stoned :passitleft:

im pretty sure it does if not i can at least placebo myself into getting way higher when i cough and hold my hits in for really long. whatever facts people have i get way higher

no.
i don't think it does, what I heard it isn't the coughing that gets you higher, its the blood rushing to your head as you cough. If you were to lets say, get stoned, and go run 4 blocks, it would cause the same effects (get you more stoned) because it would be getting your blood rushing through your body.
which is basically like being lightheaded maybe?
don't know if that's true, but hey, makes more sense than the coughing rumor!

There's an old saying..."cough, you're off"

:cough:

i dont htink its the coughing that gets you high but the bigger hit you take the more you are likely to cough and the bigger hit you take obviously you will get higher

:smokin:

:peace:
As for holding your hit for eternity; really doesn't matter that much. All you're going to get out of a hit is gotten within the first few seconds, so holding it for 20 more is really just letting your lungs soak up more tar and stuff. I wouldn't worry about it.[/QUOTE]

i heard that the first seven seconds holding in are the most intoxicating but who knows
IF YOU AINT CHOKIN YOU AINT SMOKIN:roorrip::roorrip::peace::smokin:

i dont htink its the coughing that gets you high but the bigger hit you take the more you are likely to cough and the bigger hit you take obviously you will get higher

:smokin:

Vouch.

Besides, if you think coughing gets you higher and you feel that it does, what's the problem? Getting higher off less weed because you coughed even if you aren't actually getting any more THC?

I'm not seeing the problem...

when one gose into a coughing fit it deprives you brain from oxygen
and that is the feeling of dizzyness. one could confuse this with being hire.

I think it dose, it seems to get me more light headed so it adds to my buzz. I guess it dose get you a little more high, besides, the more you cough means the fatter the hit or that the pots good, right?:cool:

It is always better not to cough.. It does not get you any higher and it does harm your lungs. You should take smaller hits that you can pull deep into your lungs. The light headed feeling is from deprevation of oxygen. Not to mention the coughing scratches your lungs and makes for more production of phlem. Coughing is a sign that your body gives you when something is wrong. It makes the whole smoking experiance very uncomfertable for me when I have to deal with the pain in my lungs when I am trying to soothe the pains in my body and mind. And the best pot is always smooth and tasty so you can really enjoy it. Harshness comes from residual nutreints or clorophil left over from a poor flush before harvest and poor cureing after...

Back
Top Bottom