Does Gorilla Glue Need Carbon Filter?

gato

A person I know locally said they have some Gorilla Glue seeds. Not sure if #1 or #4. Would a person need an odor eliminating system for them?

Thanks

As far as I know every strain you need an odor eliminating system of some sort, unless smell not an issue for you. They vary in smell from strain to strain far as strength and type, but not aware of any that don't smell late in Flower (and if it doesn't something probably wrong with it or the genetics of your seeds/clones).

Dwight Monk...thanks, but I know some strains do not have odor. I grew C-99 and you had to put your nose right up to it to smell anything. Though the Pineapple pheno (I had both phenos) did have an odor, but only up close or when disturbed. Was wondering if GG was similar.

Thanks

Just guessing but I would say the Gorllia Glue will need filters. Top strains like it usually carry great flavor and smell which equates to filters. I grew for years without filters. Smell wasn't a huge deal. While their are some low smell strains out there it only takes 1 to create a stink. Now that I have tried charcoal filters I will never go without them. You should be venting all that air anyway might as well clean it. That way you can grow even the dankest skunk or cheese. My last grow area smelled only of soil before opening tents up. Then everything smelled of Purps. Headband and Tangie were the only strains strong enough to be smelled around the Purps Cross I was growing. I would say use the filters. Even a slight skunk smell can do you in.

Just guessing but I would say the Gorllia Glue will need filters. Top strains like it usually carry great flavor and smell which equates to filters. I would say use the filters. Even a slight skunk smell can do you in.

They are likely not of use for me then. A filter is totally not workable. There was no need for a filter for those C-99...which I consider a top strain, but others may not agree. Not shooting back at you with that...just that it seems odor doesn't necessarily equate with quality. Maybe I'm wrong about it, but the experience with C-99 show that to me...even the Pineapple pheno was not a problem for odor.

Thanks for opinion...it does help to eliminate them as possibly being used....and he just dropped them off too!...lol Oh Well!

They are likely not of use for me then. A filter is totally not workable.

That's a shame. There are a few low-odor strains, but that's just it - a few. Assuming that odor is a concern, if you are unable to install a decent carbon filter for some reason, you're prohibiting yourself from growing one of the thousands of strains that are not considered to be low-odor. Some of which smell fine, indeed, lol. Actually, some of them don't smell like the "generic cannabis smell" that many light- and non-consumers associate with cannabis. But even those can be quite powerful, and if the grow is hidden from sight and hearing, someone might become curious as to what is causing the strong smell (even if they happen to find it pleasing).

That's a shame. There are a few low-odor strains, but that's just it - a few. Assuming that odor is a concern, if you are unable to install a decent carbon filter for some reason, you're prohibiting yourself from growing one of the thousands of strains that are not considered to be low-odor.

Yes...and thanks. I have done many searches for what are considered low odor or no odor and well understand they are few. C-99...Grapefruit (if believable at the seed provider) and NL and a few others, but only a few and yes many high quality strains are not of use and eliminated.

That was the reason I picked C-99 for the first indoor grow in an extremely long time...actually any grow. I grew outdoors in the distant past and a couple of indoor tiny grows when NL5xSK1 first came out at the original seed bank(and Early Pearl), but my apartment is tiny and having venting for a carbon filter is not workable. The apartment maintenance people might wonder what is that? lol

So GG is a no. I've smoked both number 1 and number 4 and thought them ok. Not my real type (sativas preferred). Thanks for the opinions...it does helps me eliminate them from consideration.

Someone gave me three or four "gorilla glue" (IDK the number - or the breeder) seeds that came out of their baggie. IDK what the other parent was. I've been thinking about putting them in line (to be grown), but I seem to remember reading that the strain was known to have some incidence of hermaphrodism, and fear that is how these particular seeds were inadvertently created.

I prefer sativas, too, and always have. But I and some of my friends/family are getting older and so there is a greater need for the things that indicas can provide.

If an old friend from the old days rolled into town and pulled out some Chocolate Thai, though... I'd be getting there in a heartbeat.

Probably should have brought these options up earlier lol. Filters not a option. Ok that's doable. Another thing to think of is strains that don't smell like most weed. Purps while strong smelling doesn't smell like most weed. The Jack the Ripper I grew had a strong lemon smell but none of that skunky smell that comes with a lot of strains. Here are a couple other strains that have no odor problems but still kick ass.
G-13 Haze, by Barnes Farm. Great smoke not much smell tell the last couple of days. Smell still manageable.
Cannalope Haze, by DNA. Some of the best smoke I have ever grown. Couldn't even find a smell tell the end. A great strain if you like sativas. I would suggest the Cannalope Haze it produced well. Was strong as hell and was not a odor problem. What haze odor there is can be masked easily.

Thanks Jackalope. I read that Jack is like that and was strongly thinking of JTR-2 (and nug of the month JTR cross) and the info about Cantaloupe Haze especially...I sort of like the haze strains I've tried. I also had read up on C.Haze and it is nice to know odor wasn't a concern. Will have it on possibles future list too.

I've got an original (Sensi Seeds) Jack Herer that was relatively mild in the odor department during a reasonably healthy vegetative period last year. Now that it has been forced to endure the torture of having been under my... care during "a little" rough patch, it doesn't really smell like anything at all. But it is still in the vegetative phase :rolleyes3 . I suspect that it'd produce a noticeable odor when flowered. Probably a "sizable" one. Maybe I'll find out before too much longer....

Saw that Jack was a Skunk cross and sort of eliminated it. Maybe let me know what happens in flower? That is if it surives?
:)

Yeah, it appears to be a haze x (NL5xSk) cross. Not real sure exactly. It seems to be related - but certainly not identical - to a few other strains which originated from such a cross. Mine has looks like it has more indica in it than I'd like, but less than the indica phenotype of JH that Greenhouse ripped off for their version.

I'm the kind of person that wants (requires?) a real potent sativa kick when it comes to the effect - and that sort of thing helps minimize certain... mental... issues. Ironically, I now find myself dealing with the realization that I (and family/friends) are poster-children for some of that indica medicinal love. But I'd much prefer to have the indica and sativa be different plants, lol, with just enough indica genetics in the sativa-dominant that it finishes in 16 weeks or less and doesn't require a second story addition to the grow room (and just enough sativa genetics in the indica-dominant one that I don't end up killing it for daring to be an indica ;) ).

The odor/smell reports on JH have a good bit of variance. Some have stated that it doesn't smell much stronger than average. Others... I read one report that stated the odor whilst growing as being a "9 out of 10 - unless you disturb the plant, in which case it gets strong."

I like lemon flavors. But real lemon - like eating a fresh one - not the pledge "lemon flavor." I think this could end up having hints of either one. I guess if it gets so strong to the point of reminding one of cat p!ss, I can always tell my neighbors that I'm recycling my cat litter, lol.

Actually, I like a flavor; I don't want to have an encounter that is reminiscent of the time I allowed myself to get fixed up (well, set up is how I look at it) on a blind date with a woman who must have been in love with the smell of her perfume, because she dumped more on than the average Fr-- err, I mean the average person that thinks two or three showers a week are enough, because they make perfume to serve as camouflage on the other days :rolleyes3 . Even a smell/taste/etc. that I like can offend, if there is WAY TOO MUCH of it.

I probably ought to just butcher this thing and throw all the resulting cuttings into cups of Happy Frog / perlite. That seems to give a 100% success rate with this one, and I could replace the jungle disaster with a couple of rows of 2-liter bottles or the like. It's not my preferred style of grow, but I've done it. Mainly it's just hard to bear the thought of giving up on a plant that has fought adversity its entire life and still managed to live a year or thereabouts. IDK. A friend offered to take one of my plants, but then he lost his house and is now living out of the area in a room in his sister's apartment.

Also read that breeders make what they each call Jack, but it seems not necessary the original Jack strain.

Thanks...gonna try some other seeds I have and see what they do. May have to go back to C-99 or another likely candidate. Read about some others that have the rep for low/no odor...just have to play it "by nose".
:)

Its been a while since I did much research on it. Isn't C-99 from Jack Herer? I thought the original Princess was a special Jack Herer female in a pack of Sensi Seeds?

Its been a while since I did much research on it. Isn't C-99 from Jack Herer? I thought the original Princess was a special Jack Herer female in a pack of Sensi Seeds?

C99 "originated" from Amsterdam/Dutch coffeeshop (Sensi Seeds now defunct café) "Jack Herer" bag seeds. "Princess" was a female from those bag seeds. Having grown many, many kg of C99 I can tell you; It's simply a (good to great) fruity (pineapple) phenotype of jack herer that Soul line-bred & tightened up a bit, but it's not quite the "legend" he'd like everyone to think it is nor did he do anything particularly remarkable or difficult to make the seeds.

C99 "originated" from Amsterdam/Dutch coffeeshop "Jack Herer" bag seeds.

IOW, it may have been a "selfed" cross (which is certainly possible, since at least one of the JH phenotypes - and probably all of them - have been known to be slightly hermaphroditic under some conditions), or it could be that something else in the grow that the coffee shop bud came from went shim and pollinated it.

Wouldn't be the first - or the last - strain that came about in that manner.

IOW, it may have been a "selfed" cross (which is certainly possible, since at least one of the JH phenotypes - and probably all of them - have been known to be slightly hermaphroditic under some conditions), or it could be that something else in the grow that the coffee shop bud came from went shim and pollinated it.

Wouldn't be the first - or the last - strain that came about in that manner.

Having seen lots of "Jack Herer" over the years, I'm pretty sure the "JH from Dutch bagseed" was simply Jack Herer. Self'd or not, it's very similar in phenotype to a bunch I've seen from friends. That said, it's very very nice herb, if you get the heavy pineapple pheno not the "grapefruit" one-which is underwhelming, comparatively. Back when those seeds were found, the Dutch indoor scene in regards to coffee shop supply was fairly limited; Mostly NL, Skunk, 'Ghani, & some Haze. Serious' had recently released their Bubblegum, I believe. It's funny now, the coffeeshops advertise all the popular American "elite" clones, and people buy into it.. Fun fact: Dutch coffee shops slap popular labels on whatever weed they buy, irregardless of actual lineage. One shop's "AK-47" is another shop's "Bubblegum." Two shops that I know don't do this, are De Dampkring & its sister shop, Tweede Kamerer. Otherwise, practice the "buyer beware" Rule. Real Hazes, some Sours, & Kali Mist are hard to spoof as well. But indicas lol good luck with the strain roulette.

Ok, ☕

Fun fact: Dutch coffee shops slap popular labels on whatever weed they buy, irregardless of actual lineage. One shop's "AK-47" is another shop's "Bubblegum." Two shops that I know don't do this, are De Dampkring & its sister shop, Tweede Kamerer. Otherwise, practice the "buyer beware" Rule.

IOW, dealers all around the world are the same, lol. Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances (grow your own!).

Last year, locally, someone was selling "Durban Poison." They sold a good bit of it until they apparently sold to someone who'd actually tried Durban Poison before - who then returned and broke all the guy's fingers, lol. I'm guessing that he got off lucky - and that the experience of having to have his old lady wipe his arse for a few(?) weeks probably straightened him up. But IDK, some people are pretty stupid, I suppose....

Back
Top Bottom