Does outdoor growing in the North enhance the purpleness of purple strains?

Somnifera

420 Member
So, I was doing some research about some of the purple strains. I'm hoping to start a Purple Kush this year and I'm so excited! I'm an outdoor grower, and, according to what I've learned, this will enhance the likelihood of a purple bloom.
Anyway, apparently the Kush turns purple at the same time as the leaves here in Central Ontario change to vibrant colours. Is there a correlation? I did some research into the question, but could not find the answer. Are the reasons why Purple Kush turns purple and Autumn leaves turn red and orange one and the same?

Hi Somnifera

I've been growing Purple Kush feminized outdoors here in Ontario for a couple years. I've never seen the flowers turn purple sad to say. Maybe it's because they would like a longer flowering season. They produce a huge crop of high quality tops. You will definitely be happy with that.

cheers!

Sad about the purple, but that was just kind of a novelty and ultimately a frill .. the yield and the quality is, finally, the equalizer. My mother, believe it or not, suggested that I add magnesium to enhance the purple (she tweaks her hydrangeas this way), but I really don't want to mix with the ultimate thing.
It sounds like Purple Kush will be very satisfactory, whether purple or not.
It's my first time growing it, and thanks for reaching out with your support.

Happy growing! The weather is finally looking somewhat better!

If you can let your plant go long enough till it starts seeing cold nights for a while it should start to show it’s purple trait, cutting back on nitrogen mid to late flower can also promote this in some strains, it can also depend what breeder you get them from, some claim to be a certain strain but after generations of breeding a plant certain traits can be lost unfortunately

Thanks, Camaro, for your response. Since this is the first one that I've ever grown, I might grow some clones and do some experiments re. the purple (only natural and organic, of course) to see if I can tweak the purpleness of the strain. However, it is really just a novelty thing, although having a purple plant in your yard, and particularly in fall, adds something special. I think that your idea of letting the plant go long enough to have those cool nights might do it.
But, I'm not going to take chances with this first one. But if I learn how to make clones ... who knows? The cold nights should, according to the chemistry that I have read, do the trick.

Thanks, Camaro, for your response. Since this is the first one that I've ever grown, I might grow some clones and do some experiments re. the purple (only natural and organic, of course) to see if I can tweak the purpleness of the strain. However, it is really just a novelty thing, although having a purple plant in your yard, and particularly in fall, adds something special. I think that your idea of letting the plant go long enough to have those cool nights might do it.
But, I'm not going to take chances with this first one. But if I learn how to make clones ... who knows? The cold nights should, according to the chemistry that I have read, do the trick.
If your cutting clones, don’t harvest the entire plant at once, cut the parts that have matured most and leave a few buds to go longer to see if you’ll get that trait from the mum then you can rule that part out of your experiment

Hi @Somnifera Just wanted to let you know. This past summer all my Purple Kush turned purple. They were beautiful, and really lush.

This summer though, made a black-out tunnel over the garden to force flowering outdoors. Started this around the 1st week of August. Had the biggest harvest ever.

Cheers, hope you had a good growing season this year.

Back
Top Bottom