Does Rez with galvanized metal stabilizators need coating because of fertilizer?

SamAndMax

420 Member
Hi,
in my reservoir (a big rectangle rain barell) there are three thin galvanized stabilizators. They go from one side to the other of the rain barell and their purpose is to prevent the rain barell from breaking when it is filled, because of the water pressure on the side walls.

See the small stabilzators in the photo: (exemplary photo with probably stainless steel, but in my reservoir they are galvanized)
780366_2.jpg

Now I want to make sure that the galvanized metal does not react with the fertilizer. Is there a way to coat them with a substance that will not react to the fertilizer? Maybe some plastic?

No it is not stainless steel. The picture is not my reservoir. It was just an example to show what I mean. Mine are galvanized and at some spots is already rust. Idk why, maybe not properly galvanized. I can remove the galvanized coating if necessary.

I am not sure if there is a paint which is resistant enough against liquid fertilizer and doesn't hurt the plants. I am not really sure how to find that stuff, as it seems to be more for the agricultural, chemical, food processing industry.

Interesting idea. I didn't consider it anymore, because I thought that stainless steel is not enough. But you are right. I think if I would use some high grade stainless steel it might work. Do you know about different quality levels of stainless steel?

We have a metal store where I live that has all kinds of shapes and types and will cut what you need.

But you also might find something that would work at a big box home store.

Back
Top Bottom