Does size matter

doublejointed

anyone have any thoughts on container size? my current and last crop i grew in 5gal buckets, 1st grow the plant kinda shut down at 30" and when i pulled the stalk from the bucket it was very root bound...this crop is at 6 weeks and 12" tall is starting to get root bound. for soil i use a 50/50 mix of top soil and composted cow manure. i'm thinking of going to a 32 gallon container.but that means more soil which can get expensive, so i don't want to do it if it's not going to make that much of a difference

Wow! I grow in 3-gallon pots, veg for around 2 months then flower for at least 8 weeks without rootbound. If your plants are just 1 foot and still vegging, anyway you can pull it out whole from the pot and cut some of those roots off? Wouldn't hurt it if you keep the soil intact and all it might do is stress about a week til it gets comfy. Maybe next time cut the compost down to like 25%? Whatever you do, good luck.:hmmmm:

think i could be feeding them too much miracle grow and chicken manure tea? i feed them once a week...not sure i want to try and pull it from the pot, i'm thinking of going to a 12/12 light cycle now with the plants at 6 weeks. my last 2 grows a week into the to 12/12 cycle they got growth spurts and shot up like 7" in a week

Oh you've been feeding them chicken manure? The mg organic is already amended with chicken litter. I'm kinda lost with all your fert techniques; would help to see a picture of them if possible. I'd be worried that rootbound will cause more problems in flowering like lockout and stress. It's my understanding that something must be done to alleviate the roots for decent buds. I'm wondering if you could take some soil from outside and add that somehow. You'd have to research the threads here to find the how to's for it though, I've never done it. I'll look for your update here. :goodluck:

i still learning to grow indoors...my first crop i fed just the miracle grow..i had good results...i have some pics in my gallery of my first plant. this time i thought i'd try something organic...hence the chicken manure tea...it's just composted chicken crap that i put in the bottle of water and let it steep about a week...i feed my plants once a week 1 week the MG the next chicken manure tea. what i've noticed is this crop is growing much more veg...almost too much the plants are very bushy and i trim leaves off twice a week to let light into the middle of the plant
DSCN10243.JPG

Some ferts are not really the best for mj. I know they use chicken manure for lawns. But never heard of it used for mj. Why not just try a 3 part nute system with grow, micro, and bloom. There is a lot of products out there that works well for mj.

Good luck,
Flip

Some ferts are not really the best for mj. I know they use chicken manure for lawns. But never heard of it used for mj. Why not just try a 3 part nute system with grow, micro, and bloom. There is a lot of products out there that works well for mj.

Good luck,
Flip

Chicken litter is good for mj grow much as any other high N fert. The good news is Chicken litter isn't as hot as worm castings and is slow released so better results for cloning and seed sprouting than worm castings; cow manure also very good and not mentioned to much in the mj community. Cheers.

well being a first time indoor grower i used what i know worked good for me when i grew outdoors... my soil is a 50/50 mix of composted cow manure and top soil...the chicken manure and miracle grow worked really good on my outdoor plants, so... but hey i'm open to all and any suggies y'all have. if i've learned anything in my 54 years it's one can never have too much information.

picked this up at the store 2day... anyone have any experience with it, it's made from sea kelp...back in the day i used to go with my grandfather and get kelp off the beach, every year he got a couple of truck loads
DSCN10252.JPG
of it to plow under before planting

i did have a few worms in my soil but they would escape from the bucket...they were worms i got from a friends back yard,do they breed a domesticated worm that would feel more at home in a 5gal bucket? lol

I have been growing organic mostly, for about 35 years now. I first started growing in 1966 outdoors. Indoors and outdoors, I use well constructed compost that includes chicken litter with poop or sheep litter with poop, but mostly leaves , straw and misc. plant materials. I also use fish emulsion and kelp extract. I use 3 to 5 gallon bags for autos and 5 to 25 gallon bags for photo plants. I mix the compost into my soil mixes that contain peat moss, perlite , vermiculite , azomite, and a bit of dolomite. Never had a badly root bound plant in all those years since I stopped using plastic pots. I first started using the fabric bags as a nurseryman back in the 1990's and quickly implemented them for my cannabis grows. I do put water collection trays under the bags so they can reabsorb excess water that runs out. I water till thoroughly wet and runoff occurs slightly then check weight before rewatering. Excessive fertilizer can cause problems in many ways, so I suggest no additional fertilizer if you use a lot of good compost. If you feel it needs a boost for flowering a bit of fish emulsion/kelp extract may be helpful a time or two. I judge by the plants condition and growth. Heavy fertilization in plastic pots can lead to encircling root bound plants quickly! I never use commercial composted manures in my soil mix or manure that is not well mixed and composted very well with plenty of other carbonaceous materials. Chicken litter and cow/horse manures can burn and definitely have a lot of nitrogen content! I use them in my garden crops like corn but not in any potted plants. Good luck and keep on experimenting and learning!

I have been growing organic mostly, for about 35 years now. I first started growing in 1966 outdoors. Indoors and outdoors, I use well constructed compost that includes chicken litter with poop or sheep litter with poop, but mostly leaves , straw and misc. plant materials. I also use fish emulsion and kelp extract. I use 3 to 5 gallon bags for autos and 5 to 25 gallon bags for photo plants. I mix the compost into my soil mixes that contain peat moss, perlite , vermiculite , azomite, and a bit of dolomite. Never had a badly root bound plant in all those years since I stopped using plastic pots. I first started using the fabric bags as a nurseryman back in the 1990's and quickly implemented them for my cannabis grows. I do put water collection trays under the bags so they can reabsorb excess water that runs out. I water till thoroughly wet and runoff occurs slightly then check weight before rewatering. Excessive fertilizer can cause problems in many ways, so I suggest no additional fertilizer if you use a lot of good compost. If you feel it needs a boost for flowering a bit of fish emulsion/kelp extract may be helpful a time or two. I judge by the plants condition and growth. Heavy fertilization in plastic pots can lead to encircling root bound plants quickly! I never use commercial composted manures in my soil mix or manure that is not well mixed and composted very well with plenty of other carbonaceous materials. Chicken litter and cow/horse manures can burn and definitely have a lot of nitrogen content! I use them in my garden crops like corn but not in any potted plants. Good luck and keep on experimenting and learning!
Hey @Tennessee Tim hope you are well my friend.
I noticed you been posting on some pretty old threads.
Great info and thanks but you will have a better response talking to members on current topics.
Dead threads usually don't get replies.
Top left corner has the date.
Happy Growing.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill

Hey @Tennessee Tim hope you are well my friend.
I noticed you been posting on some pretty old threads.
Great info and thanks but you will have a better response talking to members on current topics.
Dead threads usually don't get replies.
Top left corner has the date.
Happy Growing.

Bill
Thanks Bill! I am not very good at details now , or any modern computer skills! All my focus the past 30 years or so has been on horticulture/organic gardening and I have invested little of my brain time on electronic tools or their software. I am an old fogey now days, behind on the finer details of electronic communications. Also my eyesight is failing and can not be corrected completely due to several issues including glaucoma and tear duct problems. I move slow reading but still often overlook things, these days. I thank you for pointing out this detail. Still old topics may catch some peoples attention and be helpful to them. Thanks for your politely instructing me on this detail that may help change some of my responses here. We are all brothers and sisters on the same world and may God smile on you and keep you!

Thanks Bill! I am not very good at details now , or any modern computer skills! All my focus the past 30 years or so has been on horticulture/organic gardening and I have invested little of my brain time on electronic tools or their software. I am an old fogey now days, behind on the finer details of electronic communications. Also my eyesight is failing and can not be corrected completely due to several issues including glaucoma and tear duct problems. I move slow reading but still often overlook things, these days. I thank you for pointing out this detail. Still old topics may catch some peoples attention and be helpful to them. Thanks for your politely instructing me on this detail that may help change some of my responses here. We are all brothers and sisters on the same world and may God smile on you and keep you!
I'm so sorry to hear of your issues my friend. :Namaste:
I'm a bit of a fogy my self, type with one thumb.
But I have a little experience though.
this is my Purple Pics thread.
anything you need at all post a question there.
I help people there all the time.
Hope your having a great day.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom