Does size matter

A quick question. If, for instance, two auto seeds from the same batch are planted side by side , fed and cared for the same, only difference would be pot size. Say one a seven gallon and the other a 15 gallon. Will these same two seeds grow to be different sizes? Being auto are they predetermined in how big they will get?

I wouldn't trust them to be nearly the same if it's important.. Interesting experiment though. Other than the pot size/watering differences there's the whole different pheno thing possible. I wouldn't say size is predetermined, maybe when they start flowering is, but it may not be the same for both plants. Some have said autos flower when the roots hit bottom but that's a load of nonsense.

My opinion,

The life cycle of an auto will not be long enough for pot size to play that big of a difference. Beyond 5 gallons is a waste. You're more likely to see a difference in plant size based on the quality of the beans you are using. The consistency in size from plant to plant can vary widely with autos, even the same strain from the same breeder. The better the breeders genetics are, the more consistent the size and yield. That's my take on growing primarily autos for 4 years.

Commercial scale? Why not photoperiodic clones, then? (And hydroponics?)

Commercial scale? Why not photoperiodic clones, then? (And hydroponics?)
Maybe down the road a bit. The money men don't have a clue about growing, so hoping to step into that roll. I am currently building the facility. Just formed and poured concrete sidewalks all around the buildings and about to start assembling two 80foot green houses. Security up the ying yang with 37 cameras watching everything.

My good friend, with a large dispensary, won't even try fem seeds. It's clones or normal seeds, and all are photoperiod. Do you have a good reason for autos, other than speed? As I understand it, autos, because of their ruderalis component are not equal to photo in THC level.

even if you grew them under the same exact conditions, they could be different, and that’s because they could be different phenotypes. its not a valid experiment.

My good friend, with a large dispensary, won't even try fem seeds. It's clones or normal seeds, and all are photoperiod. Do you have a good reason for autos, other than speed? As I understand it, autos, because of their ruderalis component are not equal to photo in THC level.
Thats a little bit of interesting information and good to know.

One run of that many autos from seed and the money men will soon be very interested in photo clones.
We already have the first run of auto seeds and the pockets are extremely deep so not a concern. Hard to find clones of a good stock around here and when you do the auto seeds look very appealing. It will be a government regulated facility and only allowed government approved seed growers or clones. Nothing like having your hands tied behind your back.

Hard to find clones of a good stock around here

One good female (photoperiodic) cannabis plant and Bob's your uncle, as they (used to?) say. Assuming it's a commerical operation, as appears to be the case, that one good plant would supply a nearly infinite number of identical plants (clones), and they'd attain whatever size you wanted (within some rather extreme limits, IOW, not the same size as a mature Sequoia).

Best of all, the end-product would be the same, should test nearly the same, et cetera. Whereas seed-grown plants can be a bit of a crapshoot sometimes. Guy sells bud out of his closet from seed-grown autoflowers plants... <SHRUGS>. Relatively large commercial operation does the same... Seems kind of shoddy, to me, and indicative of a "grower" who cannot manage to select & maintain mother plants or root cuttings, a business owner that's so greedy that he/she won't budget the time for same... or both.

The above is IMHO, of course.

One good female (photoperiodic) cannabis plant and Bob's your uncle, as they (used to?) say. Assuming it's a commerical operation, as appears to be the case, that one good plant would supply a nearly infinite number of identical plants (clones), and they'd attain whatever size you wanted (within some rather extreme limits, IOW, not the same size as a mature Sequoia).

Best of all, the end-product would be the same, should test nearly the same, et cetera. Whereas seed-grown plants can be a bit of a crapshoot sometimes. Guy sells bud out of his closet from seed-grown autoflowers plants... <SHRUGS>. Relatively large commercial operation does the same... Seems kind of shoddy, to me, and indicative of a "grower" who cannot manage to select & maintain mother plants or root cuttings, a business owner that's so greedy that he/she won't budget the time for same... or both.

The above is IMHO, of course.
Cloning would not be a problem for me as I have some experience from years gone by. So far there has been no money put aside for a nursery area for mothers. I could supply them from else where but then again I'm not government approved.lol

Back to the original post.
I have 2 Bubba Kush autos going right now. Both had ph issues early on. (defective ph meter). Replaced. One is about 20 inches tall and looks normal. The other is about 6 inches tall, and almost round like a softball. One fat bud. They are close to finishing. The yields won't be big but I'm curious how they will turn out.
I've had different phenos with autos regularly but not this different.

Back
Top Bottom