Dolomite lime and soilless medium

Another quick random question: what is the best ph paper to use when testing water run off or the soilless medium itself? I already have a kit to test these things with liquids, but I'm more interested in accurate and reliable paper, if something like it exists. Here's an example of what I'm kind of looking for: Natural Healthy Concepts

If you want accurate,go with a pen/meter.this WILL be the best tool you own

your results,with the paper test can vary greatly,not only how you store them,but really how they were made.

I would sualso suggest a pH pen my friend.
As for your original question. I believe it already contains dolomite lime and you don't have to add more...but it probably wouldn't hurt to add some more

I was kind of looking to the answer to the original question.

I mix dolomite lime with my peat. I don't think that's an issue, but.......

a nebulous answer.

is there such a thing as too much? what would be the result?

I mix 3 cups/10L of soilless mix (peat, perlite, worm castings 60/20/20).

I know the lime will raise the ph, but I also think it is a permanent change (can't really remove it once its put in) so over adding will permanently raise your ph too high. I believe that's the worst case scenario, but idk

With hybrids the dolomite might help maintain ph levels but indicas really need an acidic substrate. Use it when potting, but try and use cal mag after that. Problem is the plant goes light green too soon. Flush at 4 weeks in flower and hit it with 1400ppm until week 6...

Look at Apera or Blue Labs for a meter and don't forget the storage solution. It helps to keep the glass bulb on a meter from losing/gaining ions and thus falling out of calibration. You'll still want to do regular recalibrations (I do mine once a month) but the storage solution is an often forgotten part of a pH meter.

Back
Top Bottom