DoomsdayUnderpants' Dakini Kush Grow Journal - 2015

Doomsdayunder

Today is Day 7. Still in peat pellets. Looking healthy...short stems, and just a single pair of true leaves at this point.

What strain is it? Dakini Kush
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Hybrid, 100% Indica
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Seedling
If in Veg... For how long?
If in Flower stage... For how long?
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Peat pellet for now, then I'll transplant into Fox Farm Ocean Forest
If soil... What size pot? plastic cup
Size of light? 125W CFL about 3 inches from the plant
Is it aircooled?
Temp of Room/cab?
RH of Room/cab?
PH of media or res?
Any Pests ?
How often are you watering? Only watered once when I planted the seeds. Peat pellets still damp.
Type and strength of ferts used?

Screen_Shot_2015-03-10_at_7_42_09_AM1.png

All aboard!!!

So I'm not exactly sure at what point I want to transplant. When I put my clear cups into red keg cups today, I noticed a couple roots emerging from the bottom of both peat pellets. Just a couple first roots...not even close to root bound. The plants still have just they're first pair of real leaves. I've had the 125W CFL on a 24/0 schedule this whole week. I was considering changing to 18/6 because someone mentioned in a thread that seedlings need to "rest" a bit in order to grow...?? There's just so much info out there, it's hard to know what's right and what's garbage, and if one person says "do this thing", another says "DON'T do this thing". My last grow (which was my first grow ever) was a strain called G-13, which I managed to grow to about a foot tall (5 1/2 weeks from seed) and it developed a yellowing of the leaf tips which just got worse until it finally died. So FYI, that's where I'm at in terms of skill level. For equipment, I have a...

2'x2'x6' tent (only growing 1 or 2 at a time),
a 125W CFL,
a 600W sodium bulb,
a 600W metal halide bulb,
one hood,
dimmable digital ballast,
small desk fan,
4" inline duct fan
carbon filter,
unopened bag of Fox Farm Ocean Forest,
Big Bloom, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom nutes,
ph tester and up & down.

Right now, the seedlings are in my homemade 5 gallon containers, where the G-13 did so well. Just thought I'd give you some background and supply info. Thanks!!

Screen_Shot_2015-03-05_at_10_17_42_AM.png

So you grow directly in the lower bucket..... is this only for the seedling stage? I could be way off here.

Yes, the plastic cups are sitting on an overturned pot in the lower bucket, so that they're just a few inches from the light. This is only my second grow attempt, but on my first attempt, I transplanted after the 2nd real leaves showed, and kept the plant in the bucket until it was maybe 4 or 5 inches tall (see photo of previous grow).

IMG_0006323.JPG

Day 8

Last night I set up the timer and switched from 24/0 to 18/6. This morning I removed the plastic wrap and dropped the plants down away from the light another 1 1/2" or so. I'm seeing more roots developing around the edges of the peat pellets, so I'll probably be transplanting to larger pots very soon...within the next 24 hours. I will also have to move them to the tent since I can't keep two larger pots in my bucket contraption. Just looking for some feedback/suggestions at this point. How do the seedlings look? They appear to have a slight yellow edge to the leaves...I'm not sure if this is normal. When I transplant and move to the tent, any lighting suggestions? Should I continue with the CFL, or switch to the MH or the HPS? Thanks!!

This is purely my experience with the CFL vs. MH/ HPS lights. My seedlings grew for about a week under a good quality CFL then completely halted and began to yellow. As soon as I moved them under my MH bulb they took off... Then again you can find a bunch of successful grows under the cfl..... Maybe mine was just a weak bulb IDK just my 2 cents....

Im subbed if your cfl is 125 true watts I would only use it til the plants grow out the central area of the light. Meaning you will have a bright center and the edges the light tappers off. 600 watts of light is way overkill at this point... Check out my auto assassin grow I started it under 50 watts of cfl and up to 150watts atm but it is a small plant. I would wait until your plants cover atleast a foot by foot space just because it would be wasteful when your light can cover like a 4x3 area or something along them lines.

that's still a ton of light for 2 sprouts buddy.

No such thing as long as you can keep the heat down. That's 150w per plant, which is right in the middle of what is recommended. 12" might be a little close though, so just watch for heat stress.

I would move your thermometer up to the same level as the canopy and on the edge of the pot, so you know what the temp is where the sprouts are at. Floor temps don't mean much and might be shaded from direct heat/ light.

I raised it up another 8-10 inches, moved the little fan to keep things circulating under the light, opened all the passive intakes, and started up the 4" inline duct fan pulling air out the top port. Can't seem to get the temp down below the high 80's....86-89-ish.

Welcome to my world brother. MH lamps are HOT. 80-85 is actually a really nice temp for veg as long as your humidity doesn't drop too low.

What type of housing is that?

Well if you do not care about the environment or your wallet you cant have to much light wasted I guess. As for getting out of mid to high eighties is you could get an air cooled reflector or add some more intake an exhaust fan. They do have small air conditioners but I heard they are junk never tried. If you could get a 4x4x6 tent would be a lot better and could use all the 600w without wasting light might need an extra plant but that never hurt anyone.

It's been about 20 hours since transplant. Just checked in and Thing 1 and Thing 2 are looking good. Perked up and reaching toward the light, with new growth coming in.

600W MH, 20" away, dimmed to 50%
all passive vents are open w/fan blowing on bulb, duct fan pulling heat from the top
seems to be maintaining a temp of around 85

Yup, that's Taylor Swift. Daughter's off to college...I'm growing in her room.

Back
Top Bottom