Doozy's 2300W LED - 5x5 - Dinafem Seeds - 1st Grow

Doozy

:thumb:Hello all!

This is my first grow journal, and my first personal grow, so please bear with me if i get a few things wrong along the way!

I'll be growing Dinafem Blue Widow, backed up with Dinafem Blue Hash from seed (i'm going to make the decision as to which 5 out of the 10 seeds are going into the bubblers after i see at least 3 sets of leaves from all)

I'm growing in individual, custom built, DWC Oxy Dripper units (Brummie Bubblers), each of which is 60ltrs. They will be aerated with two Hailea V60 air pumps, and the water will be pumped through the drippers onto the media (clay pebbles) by five Hailea HX-1500 water pumps.

I am running 2300w of LED (actual draw 1120w). This comprises of 4 x 400w Mars IIs, and 1 x 700w Mars II units.

I'll be using a 150mm acoustic box fan extractor, a 100mm in-line intake fan along with a 150/600 RhinoPro carbon filter.

The nutes will be Vitalink Max A+B, Canna Rhizotonic, Buddhas Tree Meta Boost + PK 9-18 Boost, Potassium Silicate (Potsil) and Calmag.

My instruments will be Voltcraft PH and EC meters.

Phew!

I'm sure i've missed a load of stuff but i can add to the journal as it progresses! :thumb:

I will be growing in a Hydrolab (not Hydrohut) LAB150 tent (1.5mx1.5m or 5x5 ft). I cannot speak highly enough of these tents, they are great, but they are a UK based company so i'm not too sure about whether or not they are available internationally.

I have decided to modify the tent somewhat, to allow for the 5 lights i have. Essentially all i did was create a platform from 12mm plywood that is suspended using the two bars provided by the tent manufacturer. This is where i'm afraid i have fallen a bit short with photos, as i made the ceiling of the tent without any record of its progress, but here it is (sorry it's blurry!)...

20140806_191131.jpg

I've decided to hang my lights using monopods, this has been very time consuming,and i wouldn't recommend it, but here are a few images of how i did it

20140806_005859.jpg

20140806_005931.jpg

20140806_010247.jpg

20140806_011108.jpg

20140806_010301.jpg

The end result is that i can hang lights like so...

20140806_192440.jpg

I realise this isn't a very comprehensive guide as to how to do this, but as i said, i don't recommend it unless you have the tools and the patience!

Anyway, after i hung all of my lights, and my carbon filter, the ceiling of my tent looks like this...

20140809_154100.jpg

20140809_154134.jpg

I have used carpet underlay as an acoustic barrier underneath the tray provided with the tent...

20140809_035516.jpg

20140809_040045.jpg

I'll be growing in 60ltr res individual DWC units, which currently are unfinished, so this is where the journal comes to a stop for now, here is the progress i've made with the bubblers..

20140809_043810.jpg

20140809_052503.jpg

20140809_153948.jpg

20140809_154310.jpg

Thanks for looking, and i'll be sure to add photos as soon as i make more progress with the setup. I'll be germinating the seeds on Wednesday, so the scrog net, buckets etc etc should all be done within a few days.

Thanks for looking, and i'd appreciate any help i can get along the way!

Doozy :)

Re: Doozy's 2300w LED, 5x5, Dinafem Seeds, 1st Grow.

Hi all!

First of all i apologise in advance that this will be a fairly short, image filled update. I've been so busy lately that it's been difficult to keep a good record of the tent progress, but i hope the pictures will show what i've been up to over the past week.

Here is the finalised DWC units. I have modified the top trays to allow for LST by using green garden wire, the buckets themselves have had holes put in them by using a soldering iron (very time consuming) i have also added thermometers to monitor the res temps, and a tower fan hung horizontally on the same monopods as the lights to put air across the canopy. I may also add some extra 9inch fans to the tent poles at a later date to add to the air movement/plant strength.

The clay pebbles will be soaked in a nute mix then added when the plants are ready

The intake fan runs directly into the air pumps using flexible 100mm tubing in an attempt to keep the res temps down also, so far they have stayed at a steady 19-20 degrees.

I realise this is not a great explanation of everything that's been done, but please feel free to ask questions and i'll get back to you asap.

In answer to Nine44's question, i'll be using an electric drill powered water pump to fill/empty the res's. This can be seen in the final image.

I'll be germinating the Dinafem seeds on Tuesday.

Cheers :)

20140820_211948.jpg

20140820_212009.jpg

20140820_212048.jpg

20140820_212125.jpg

20140820_212134.jpg

20140820_212141.jpg

20140820_212148.jpg

20140820_212216.jpg

20140820_212353.jpg

20140820_212640.jpg

20140820_212705.jpg

20140820_212750.jpg

20140820_212753.jpg

20140820_213722.jpg

20140820_213734.jpg

Now then Doozy lad, are you sure you've got enough lights in there? :rofl:
Just a couple of questions, those hanger thingies you've got, how low do they allow you to lower the lights?
Is there no way you can move the power higher & away from the gnome? It's not wise to have your extension cable so close to water
And one little bit of advice, try & keep your ducting as straight as possible, two 45's is better than one 90, three 30's is better than two 45's etc. You're going to need them running as efficiently as possible mate.
As for your Brummie Bubblers & all that jazz, I'm clueless so don't ask me any hydro advice. I mix my nutes in a bucket & use a watering can :)
It's looking good though mate, you'd never think it was your 1st grow :thumb:

Now then Doozy lad, are you sure you've got enough lights in there?

Seems excessive but actually only equates to 1100 actual watts in a 5x5, so i don't think it's OTT (well maybe a bit ;) ) Still only 44w per square foot.

Just a couple of questions, those hanger thingies you've got, how low do they allow you to lower the lights?

They allow the lights to be lowered to 18 inches above the bowls. Hopefully by the time i add the plants to the bowls (3 sets of fan leaves is the plan) this will be more than enough room.

Is there no way you can move the power higher & away from the gnome? It's not wise to have your extension cable so close to water

I'll look into that, if not i'll bag the extention cable up but there is a 6mm ply barrier in-between. You're right though that is the weak point of the setup.

And one little bit of advice, try & keep your ducting as straight as possible, two 45's is better than one 90, three 30's is better than two 45's etc. You're going to need them running as efficiently as possible mate.

I'll look into that too mate but atm both fans are running at about 50% and getting temps of below 30. Agreed though the straighter the better!

As for your Brummie Bubblers & all that jazz, I'm clueless so don't ask me any hydro advice. I mix my nutes in a bucket & use a watering can
It's looking good though mate, you'd never think it was your 1st grow

Thanks loads for your input mate, at the end of the day it's all about the plants and you're loads more experienced in that departement, so media aside, your help will be very much appreciated along the way!

Cheers :)

Looking forward to seeing this, skunny talks a lot of sense, and I'd agree with all he's said,
Im about to set up my Hydrolab(2.4 × 1.2 × 2+ ) it seems great quality down but you seem very happy with it. I don't know if I could cut holes through it though, it must be simple to extend like the gorilla tents( construction wise and not that expensive an option ) but I feel Gorilla Tents still have patent on the method, as it makes so much sense. My ceilings are 11ft 2 in
or 3.4 metres, so id love the extra 2to 3 feet /1 metre but can't afford a gorilla my size or bigger 2x3x3 would be a dream. But in reality I've got my hydrolab and am happy with it . Must keep things in proportion. Am pulling a settee for this one.ATB

Looking forward to seeing this, skunny talks a lot of sense, and I'd agree with all he's said,
Im about to set up my Hydrolab(2.4 × 1.2 × 2+ ) it seems great quality down but you seem very happy with it. I don't know if I could cut holes through it though, it must be simple to extend like the gorilla tents( construction wise and not that expensive an option ) but I feel Gorilla Tents still have patent on the method, as it makes so much sense. My ceilings are 11ft 2 in
or 3.4 metres, so id love the extra 2to 3 feet /1 metre but can't afford a gorilla my size or bigger 2x3x3 would be a dream. But in reality I've got my hydrolab and am happy with it . Must keep things in proportion. Am pulling a settee for this one.ATB

No holes have been cut in the tent, i've suspended a platform using the support bars.

Hydrolab are great tents!! Good luck with your grow and thanks for the comments :)

Sorry to post again, it's just ive heard using extension leads with fuse lights can make the lights give out a faint glow as there is always a very small current running through, just a heads up, if you check it out let me know, as I'm gonna try but only have 1 400 Mar2.:peace:

I've brought susat over from the dark side (UK site) He's a hydro guy so he'll be able to help with anything in that regards whilst I do your plant health, environment & training techniques :thumb:

Talking of the dark side, it all started kicking off on my thread, one of the team (distracted) was being a smart arse & a couple of anti-LED guys were giving it plenty, chronic1 was the main culprit. I kept it cool & showed I had class but reported every negative & abusive mention. I checked it today & all of it has gone :) I hope those responsible had their arses slapped for it mate, there's no need for it.

Susat, it's only certain brands that do it, mine are fine with an illuminated extension.

Talking of power what fuse is in the main board to run your room? Is it big enough to handle it all on full chat? Do you have a contactor for your timer? You'll blow timers for fun with all that kit

Here's the ammeter reading of the entire grow tent. 1354w. This includes -

2300w LEDs
150mm Extractor fan
125mm Intake fan
5 x Hailea x1500 water pumps
2 x Hailea V60 Air Pumps
30 inch Tower Fan
plus some green LED netting lights for working on the plants when they're asleep. :)

20140820_235612.jpg

I plan on using the Gas Lantern Routine for veg, so the electricty consumption for this grow should be around 18kwh per day.

Cheers ;)

Back
Top Bottom