Double Decker SCROG / Dry Screen for $8

DutchDude

Icemud inspired me to build my own SCROG screen, and since I thought that it could serve a dual purpose as a drying screen, I put two of them together on the cheap - very cheap. . .

- 1 roll (24"x10') Chicken wire (2" holes) from Lowes: $3.79
- 5 pieces of 1"x2"x96" fir @ $0.89: $4.45

Total: $8.24

Other things that I used, but didn't have to pay for are:

- Little bit of wood glue
- Some brads for my finish nailer (you could use nails or screws, but then you will have to pre-drill)
- Some staples

IMG_03269.JPG

Cut four of the 96" piece of wood in three pieces: 42", 30" and 24" (no waste). The last one, I cut four pieces of 12", but you can cut them any length that you want. The 12" pieces are the legs of the top screen, so it depends on how high you want them.

Now create a rectangular frame of 42" x 32" (shorter pieces inside the longer pieces). Put some glue on the touching sides, then put in some brads (or screws/nails).

IMG_032910.JPG

Frame one complete:

IMG_03308.JPG

Frame two can loosely stand on top of frame two:

IMG_03339.JPG

Now it is time for the chicken wire. Roll the chicken wire over a flat surface, and stretch it a little wider then the current 24", not too much, just give it a tug.

IMG_03278.JPG

Place it on top of the screen. You will want to staple it first along the 32" side of the wooden frame (24" stretched part of the screen). Place the staple over the twisted piece of the wire, then after you cut it later, you can fold it over:

IMG_033410.JPG

After you attach the 32" side (with the 24" wide chicken wire :) ) stretch the roll over the frame to the other side, but don't cut it yet. You want to keep the sides of the chicken wire screen in the middle of your 40" pieces of wood, and stretch them into a straight line. Once you start doing it, you will understand what I mean. You don't want any kinks along the 40" sides. The last part is the last short side. You will want to match the twisted wire on either sides (they should be equal) with the twisted wire parts that separates each cell. This will take a little bit of tugging, but then you get a nice, tight, bouncy, and even screen. Again attach the screen with staples over the twisty part that separates the cells. Use some wire snips to cut of the rest of the screen and do the same thing with the second frame. If you kept the sides nice and straight, you should have about 4" of chicken wire left for the trash can.

These are both of them finished and set on top of each other:

IMG_033512.JPG

Putting the first screen inside the grow area - not easy to manipulate!

IMG_033610.JPG

Putting the plants back, and gently putting some of the tops through the screen:

IMG_03378.JPG

I don't know if I leave the second screen on top. I mainly build it to have a second drying screen, and just because I had material left over :)

It might be fun to see if it is helpful at all to keep the enormous colas straight that I plan to grow :cheer:
IMG_03387.JPG

If you have the tools, this is about a 45 minute project otherwise about double that?

Excellent Job Dutch!!!! A perfect height for your ladies too!!! Just start stretching them as far as you can until 3/4 the screen is full of leaves and you will be ready for flowering!!! Very impressive DIY build!!!!

I would ditch the 2nd screen, as it will end up being used as a trellis for support and thats all. If you have a stretch you could scrog at the second screen and trim all the way up but using both might be tricky. Thats a tight fit for them 4 girls, you could add some light down below.

I actually used the idea of your 2nd screen on my tent....my ladies were starting to get real heavy and from supercropping couldn't really hold there own weight. I used my extra screen left over for my scrog and suspended it from the top of my tent....It worked really nice for running string and "hanging" my ladies from it...thanks for the idea!

Need one those!

That's awesome. Bushy scrog. I pulled them under and over to empty slot to expand the branches for smaller nodes to reach the top. It's a daily chore until I see bud sites. Right now they are in the stretching phase which is good! The lower branches become clones, they're too short to reach the top in time for flowering. :popcorn:

That's awesome. Bushy scrog. I pulled them under and over to empty slot to expand the branches for smaller nodes to reach the top. It's a daily chore until I see bud sites. Right now they are in the stretching phase which is good! The lower branches become clones, they're too short to reach the top in time for flowering. :popcorn:
Ha - we are very much thinking alike: Aero cloner with light and smell proof tent for $75

That is what I did with the ones that would not reach. Now I am waiting for roots. . .

Back
Top Bottom