DP StarRyder & Dinafem Blue Cheese Auto - Balcony - First Grow

cavalocansado

Summary: Balcony grow in soil (Biobizz All-Mix in 8L pots), Some CFL to strengthen the seedlings, Biobizz Fish-Mix throughout as only nutrient

1 x Dutch Passion StarRyder / 1 x Dinafem Blue Cheese Auto.
After I get these out in the sun on their own, I'll plant another SR.

Hi everyone!

Enough reading, I'm in business! First grow, limited resources, great will. I'm hoping not to screw it up.

So, about those limited resources: I'll be growing in my balcony which gets about 6 hours of direct morning sunlight at the moment.

I'm using Biobizz All-Mix mixed with perlite (approx. 2:1). I know, I know, it's too hot for autos. However, I read about some successful grows in hot soil mixes. It may seem a bit bold of me to experiment in my first grow, but I made a plan that can actually work (not my own plan actually, I found some different strategies and I put them together to create my own).

After filling the pots with soil/perlite mix, I hollowed out the middle (about 10cm deep/7cm wide) and filled it with regular peat/perlite mix. By the time roots find their way down to All-Mix, the little girls will be (hopefully) be strong enough. The second part of my experimental plan is to use Biobizz Fish-Mix as my only nutrient. I decided to give this a go after reading Agito's advice (google "Beginner's biobizz nutrient advice", interesting stuff - basically says that Biobizz Fish-Mix has apparently shown good results when used without any other nutrient).

What I'm trying to do here is to keep it really simple.

So, here's where I am so far:
I watered the soil, I sowed the seeds directly in it a day after. I sprinkled a bit more water and covered the pot with plastic wrap. I kept it on the balcony during the day (under shaded/reflected/indirect sunlight) and under 23w CFL during the night. In exactly 3 days (today), both broke the surface. I'll keep carrying them in to keep them under the CFL in the evening and taking them out early in the morning to keep them in a somewhat ideal environment and warm temperature. I have another weaker (15w) CFL. When I start to see some leaves, each seedling will have their own light and the lights will be closer. Not for long though - when I see that they can handle it, I'll just leave them outside (probably after 8-10 nights under CFL).

If you have any thoughts or opinions, I'm all ears. I learned a lot from you guys and the only reason that I'm posting this journal is to keep learning.

Here are some photos - one still with the husk on is the SR, one with the curvy taproot is the BC.
IMG_066633.JPG
IMG_067626.JPG
IMG_067226.JPG
IMG_067836.JPG

Cheers!

Thank you Mono! I heard good things about their genetics. Do you have any experience with any of their seeds, especially Blue Cheese Auto?

I have experience with their photoperiod seeds, mainly white widow. I have found dinafem to be very stable and bang on what they suggest. You should see the plants perform just as the breeder describes :)

Day 8

Blue Cheese Auto (one 2nd leaf is a bit smaller than the other)

StarRyder

How do they look? I still haven't watered thoroughly. The top layer (about 50mm) dries out every other they, I spray some water to keep it moist and then just a little bit more around the girls. When I poke my finger in or check through hole in the bottom though, it's still kind of moist. I think I'll wait for it to dry up a bit more before watering. And before seeing any deficiency, I'll hold back on the nute. At least until around day 20. What do you think?

Day 12

Fortunately, there was a storm yesterday and I collected some rainwater (around 10L). It's day 12 and I still haven't watered since the soil still looks kind of humid. Tomorrow though, they'll drink their first rain juice, as I'll be leaving town for a couple of days. During my absence, they won't get any CFL. My gf will take them out to balcony in the morning and bring them inside in the evening. I hope 5-6 hours of sunlight that they'll get everyday will be enough and won't stunt their growth.

Blue Cheese is a bit taller (I might need provide support at some point as she looks a bit thin for her height) and and therefore a bit slanted.

Here are some detailed photos of my girls.

How do you think they look for 12 days? I have a feeling that the growth is kind of slow.

Blue Cheese Auto

StarRyder

I don't think it's underwatering (I did a lot of that lol) maybe heat-stress.
I also planted auto's directly in All-Mix with no nuteburn and rapid growth.

The Fish-Mix smells quite bad, but if you're outdoors it shouldn't matter, I switched to Bio-Grow because I couldn't stand the smell.
I started out using the entire Biobizz regime since I grow few plants don't use much of it, it's not a major expense.

I would get some Bio-Bloom for flowering if I were you it's not expensive and 1L will last for more than a couple of grows that size, I'm using the 250 ml from their test-pack and I haven't used 1/3 yet for 2 plants.
IMG_20150514_111017.jpg

I don't think it's underwatering (I did a lot of that lol) maybe heat-stress.
I also planted auto's directly in All-Mix with no nuteburn and rapid growth.

The Fish-Mix smells quite bad, but if you're outdoors it shouldn't matter, I switched to Bio-Grow because I couldn't stand the smell.
I started out using the entire Biobizz regime since I grow few plants don't use much of it, it's not a major expense.

I would get some Bio-Bloom for flowering if I were you it's not expensive and 1L will last for more than a couple of grows that size, I'm using the 250 ml from their test-pack and I haven't used 1/3 yet for 2 plants.
IMG_20150514_111017.jpg

Sweet plants mate!

I watered and it looks a bit better, but some wilted leaves look like they can't be saved. We'll see. I'm still curious about the browning. I thinks it's the combination of both heat stress and underwatering.

I'm keeping an open mind about maybe adding Bloom to my regime later on, but I'll let the plants decide. If Fish-Mix does the trick, I'll finish this grow without anything else.

Cheers!

Hello tired horse :welcome: sorry I meant to say cavalocansado :rofl:

That is an interesting looking issue you have going there....does not look like under or overwatering....or nute burn, or heat stress; if it were a tomatoe,that looks like blight :jawdropper::jawdropper: The leaves are wilting as if something toxic has been introduced to the substrate.

BioBizz All Mix and. FishMix are usually a winner combination. What is the situation on your balcony could anything have gotten to the plant like cat piss or something else? It's very unusual to see a plant go from green and vigorous to the state yours is in so quickly without some explanation. From the photos there is no question that she liked the substrate just fine....the question is what changed?

I know this does not help much but, the combination of your name and the strangeness of the issue, I had to chime in......

I'll keep looking in - boa sorte :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom