Dr. Cannabi's Kali Mist - DIY Organic Soil - Medical Grow & Show

drcannabi

Welcome All to Dr Cannabis' Kali Mist Grow Journal! 100% organic and recyclable (that means it's good for the environment). Well all except the tent, metal, plastic and other non organic matter - :Namaste: - No PH meters, no expensive fertilizers, and no pesticides!

My old friend has become so sick from chemo that he can no longer grow his own meds. I decided that providing for him was more important than keeping costs down so I got a new setup. It should supply us with what we need without having to buy any medicine. The initial cost is big but hopefully it will pay off.

This will be as much of a How-to as a grow Journal and I'll take LOTS of pictures along the way. The hope is that a new medical patient with no idea where to start will be able to follow along and reproduce my results (hopefully good ones). If you have any questions or words of encouragement along the way, please jump in and share.

This will be a detailed journal from start to finish. I will be making my own soil, setting up an all new grow tent with new equipment, and growing medical seeds bought on the Internet and delivered to the Pacific Northwest (US). Everything in this grow is available locally. While I am fortunate enough to be able to obtain top quality gear, most of the components can be swapped out for much cheaper gear (not the soil).

Here's what we're working with for the environment. The cost was $1,478.05 for the tent and accessories. The light is a Budmaster II 675 G.O.D LED Grow Light. The cost was embarrassing, but I'm really hoping for something special here. I got this light because of the work Light Addict and Buckshot are doing here. Check out their journals if you get a chance. Very good vibes!

Tent and Accessories:
1. Gorilla - 5' x 5' Heavy Duty Grow Tent
2. Titan - Kronus 4: Temperature & Humidity Controller w/ Night Outlet
3. Vortex - S-Line 6'', 347 CFM (exhaust) - passive intake
4. 6" Vinyl Can Max-Duct, 25 ft.
5. Phresh - Filter 6" x 16" , 400 CFM
6. Titan — Atlas 2 CO2 controller (will have to see how they work in a tent)
7. CO2 Tanks
8. A couple fans for circulation

Lights:
1. Budmaster II 675 G.O.D. LED Grow Light
2. California LightWorks — Solar Storm 400 (already using)
3. Possibly throw in the Solar Flare 200 if the temps are manageable

Soil:
1. Alaskan - Peat Moss
2. Oly Mountain - Fish Compost
3. Perlite
4. K.I.S. Nutrient Pack

Actively Aerated Compost Tea (AACT) and top dressings Cost 150 (can be obtained or built much cheaper)
1. Water
2. Bucket
3. Airstones
4. Worm Castings & other Organic Compost
5. Black Strap Molasses
6. Some kelp powder — (Bulk Organic)
7. Some fish powder — (Bulk Organic)
8. Air Pump
9. Some bird poop
10. Some bat poop
11. More worm poop (What!!!)
12. Maybe some alfalfa - Yes, definitely some alfalfa

Seeds:
1. Serious Seeds Kali - Mist (Regular)
2. OGR — White Fire
3. Maybe something else if there's room

Here are some pictures to start it off. These are exactly 8 Days in the soil (since they were planted). I attempted to germinate 11 Kali's and only 1 didn't sprout. 1 more stopped growing the day it broke soil. The other 9 are healthy. I attempted to germ 1 White Fire and it is a healthy seedling (much slower than the KM).

Kali Mist and WiFi:
20141114_170105.jpg
20141116_170658.jpg
20141116_170702.jpg
20141116_185338.jpg
20141118_175139.jpg
20141118_175151.jpg
20141118_175204.jpg
20141123_205417.jpg
20141123_205424.jpg
20141123_205436.jpg
20141123_205448.jpg
20141123_205456.jpg
20141123_205514.jpg
20141123_205527.jpg
20141123_205537.jpg
20141124_230211.jpg

Soil (makes 60+ gallons): 4.4 CF peat moss (loose not compact), 2 CF Oly Compost, 2.5-3.0 CF Perlite, 5 gallons of organic wormcastings, 2 K.I.S. Nutrient packs
20141118_175606.jpg
20141121_160922.jpg
20141121_162354.jpg
20141121_163842.jpg

Light (Ahhhhhhhhhhhh):
20141114_184253.jpg
20141114_184305.jpg

That's all for now. I'll post more pics when I set up the tent and transplant the seedlings. I'm leaving you with pictures of my current grow. 1 female from a 5 pack of seeds (Tude Freebies) - Rare Dankness Moonshine Haze! This is an unbelievable plant!
20141124_223157.jpg
20141124_223206.jpg
20141123_205850.jpg
20141123_205858.jpg
20141123_205855.jpg
20141124_223223.jpg
20141124_223216.jpg

re: Dr. Cannabi's Kali Mist - DIY Organic Soil - Medical Grow & Show

Sweet!,
1st in line for the all organic grow show!
Kali mist and white fire both sound excellent. Cool to see someone running RD gear, shit looks dank but I don't see anyone growing it.

Welcome CO!

Great to have you along for the ride. I have to tell you, being an old dude, building my own soil was a chore. Hopefully the effort will be well worth it.

Oh, and if this Moonshine Haze is as good as she's letting on, I'm going to be in love. I've never smelled anything like it. Loose buds so far (a little over 8 weeks) but it's a minimum 10 weeker so hopefully she'll start filling in soon.

Hey buddy im in.

Great to have you here Dusty. This is going to be one hell of a journal. I'm so far over my head I'll be making lots of mistakes along the way. I'll be updating tonight with my first gigantic F'up.

Welcome to the Grow and Show Brightlight. Feel free to post pics of your kali mist on here. I'd love to see them. There is no WiFi anywhere on the www, but I've heard all the white crosses are fantastic. I'd love to try that one.

Are you growing her out yet? I have a couple packs of The White S1 seeds. I'm going to crack a couple of those beans next round.

Welcome to the Grow and Show Brightlight. Feel free to post pics of your kali mist on here. I'd love to see them. There is no WiFi anywhere on the www, but I've heard all the white crosses are fantastic. I'd love to try that one.

Are you growing her out yet? I have a couple packs of The White S1 seeds. I'm going to crack a couple of those beans next round.

Hey dr. I was lucky to run into some KM a few yrs. back. I enjoyed it so much that I put it on my seed list. Just last mo. I was about to buy since Serious was offering some of its new Happiness as a promotion. But I was too late & missed it. I am currently growing the OGR WMK for the 1st time. When I bought the WMK, I was also interested in the WiFi, but it hasn't been available for awhile.

Hey dr. I was lucky to run into some KM a few yrs. back. I enjoyed it so much that I put it on my seed list. Just last mo. I was about to buy since Serious was offering some of its new Happiness as a promotion. But I was too late & missed it. I am currently growing the OGR WMK for the 1st time. When I bought the WMK, I was also interested in the WiFi, but it hasn't been available for awhile.

That is great to know Brightlight. I actually don't know anyone personally who has smoked it. I got it based on the description and then later I realized it was world famous. I'm hoping it lives up to it's rep. Did you have any problems with it? Any grow tips?

Have a great Thanksgiving BL!

Subbed up :)

Welcome LA! I bought this light based on what I've seen from you and Buckshot. I've been following along on your journal since you started it. I've learned a lot watching from the sidelines. :thanks: I hope I can do this light justice!

High ya Dr , brought my chair and snacks to share :passitleft::party: I have a feeling this is going to be a GREAT grow!

Welcome G! Glad you made it. Did you notice I used the term "Bulk Organics" for my AACT description? Turns out I've been using them the whole time LOL :Namaste: I learn something new every day...

So my first update is not a good one. Chalk this up to lessons learned. First off I want to say that Tad at KIS organics is awesome. They have the best customer service I've ever experienced. He answered MANY of my emails and questions and helped me save my soil.

Lesson: Never "Cook" your living soil in an airtight container. I did and it was bad. Thankfully I checked on it 5 days after I started cooking it. When I opened the lid I almost fell over the stink was so bad I literally could smell it a block away. I immediately freaked out and started panicking. I do that a lot ;^). Basically I thought I would have to toss the soil because it stunk so bad. Tad told me that I could spread it back out on the tarp and turn it over every day or so to get the microbes doing their job again. The soil will be fine!

I started researching and realized I had read information wrong or understood it differently than it was intended by the author. Here's what I know now (from experience). Be sure to cook your soil in a container or area where it can breathe. The best way that works for me is to it spread out on the tarp I mixed it on and turn it over every day for about 2 weeks making sure to keep it well moistened the entire time. When the temperature of the soil stays at ambient room temperature for 2 days, it's ready to use.

So now I know and here's how I will mix my soil in the future.

The first thing to know about making your own living organic soil, is that it's hard work. If you are really sick or just don't like hard work, this is not for you. This recipe makes about 35 gallons. If you need more like I do, mixing two batches on different days is easier for me than trying to mix a double batch in one day. It's just too much work for one person to do at once. Not to mention the space it takes up.

1. Spread out a large tarp on my garage floor to mix the soil on. I use weights at the corners of the tarp and duct tape (where needed) to secure it to the floor so I can use a shovel and rake.

2. Empty out a brick of peat-moss into a little kids plastic pool (or something similar) and thoroughly break it up and rake it to make sure it's loose and not compact. Measure out 2.2 CF of the loose peat-moss using a 5 gallon bucket and put that on the tarp making sure its about 2-3 inches thick.

3. Mix in 1 CF of Oly-Mountain Fish Compost. Break it up, rake it, and turn it over using a shovel. The term "turn it over" refers to getting the soil on the bottom of the pile to the top of the pile. The easiest way to do that in a small operation is to use a shovel with a flat blade and a rake. I find that raking with a 3-4" prong rake and turning over the pile 3 times does a very sufficient job of mixing the soil. This should take about 15-20 minutes if done properly. Spread out the mixed pile to be 2-3 inches thick.

4. Medicate. I find this is the best place in the process to stop and medicate. This step is a scientific fact and shouldn't be skipped. If you skip this process your soil will not be very good <----- another scientific fact right there.

5. Add 1.2 CF of perlite. I use the large size but most growers use medium. Rake and turn the pile over 3 times again to mix it thoroughly and spread out the mixed pile to be 2-3 inches thick.

6. Add 1 K.I.S. Nutrient pack. Rake and turn the pile over 3 times again to mix it up thoroughly. Using a little water at this point does help a little. This part of the process is very dusty and you will be working with minerals that shouldn't be breathed. Be sure to wear a good dust mask. I use a silicone mask with HEPA filters.

7. See step 4.

8. Add water. I find around 8 - 9 gallons of water sufficiently wets this quantity of soil. Rake and turn the pile over 3 times again to mix it thoroughly and spread out the mixed pile to be 2-3 inches thick.

9. Cook it - keep it well moistened the entire time. When the temperature of the soil stays at ambient room temperature for 2 days, it's ready to use.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I just finished thanksgiving family duties and turned over the soil for day#1. It's already way less stinky than yesterday when I realized something was wrong. I'll continue to turn it over and keep it moist for another 14 to 30 days and then we'll see how the seedlings like it.

Looks to be an interesting grow. I've heard that Kali Mist is good for PMS. Anybody know if that's true?

Welcome Ranger!

I have no idea if it's good meds for PMS. I'll be sure to have the Mrs. try it out for that purpose (4 months from now). I have read that women like it so maybe it has some truth to it. I've never actually smoked it myself. I bought the KM for a mentally awake daytime medication.

Sorry I couldn't answer your question.

Back
Top Bottom