Dr. J's 1st Auto-Flower Soil Grow - BigBud X NorthLights - 400W HPS

From those pics bro. I really don't think its a pest issue. And for your sake I hope I'm right *fingers crossed*
I've never had insects but I've had similar damages to the leaves.

Edit :: and all I did to get rid of it was flush and continue doing exactly what I was doing. But it's a bit difficult to see from the photos when I try to zoom in

Sorry for the no help Holmes

Hey bro you been very helpful....please keep chiming in when you have time.....i really appreciate your advice.
You were absolutely right on with my leaf problem i just went thru....it was too much nutrients......
....i was directed by someone who claimed to be an expert that it wasnt nutrients and that is was a pest....his advice was to spray that neem oil....and then he told me add 3/4 dose of BLOOM nutes lol....which i only added 1/4 dose thank god...cause i may have really fucked them up if i would have added that much more......
.....but the issue is taken care of.....plants have been flushed......you da man holmes!!!

What do u think is causing yellow bottom leaves on damn near all my plants???
What can i do to fix it???

Just a thought, but try putting a large piece of paper under your plants, shake them vigorously at lights out and then inspect the paper to see if any pests have fallen off. I had a problem with caterpillars in my first grow, which made similar patterns to the ones on your leaves. Good luck with finding a solution.

Edit: I didn't see you had figured it out, but this can be quite useful for future reference :)

Just a thought, but try putting a large piece of paper under your plants, shake them vigorously at lights out and then inspect the paper to see if any pests have fallen off. I had a problem with caterpillars in my first grow, which made similar patterns to the ones on your leaves. Good luck with finding a solution.

Edit: I didn't see you had figured it out, but this can be quite useful for future reference :)

Hey thank you for looking in man.....
this is my first grow and im really just learning on the fly.....

Do you know why the leaves on the bottom of the plants are turning yellow???? This is my #1 concern right now and i dont even know what to do!!!

Again, Thanks for adding your input....i actually had someone suggest caterpillars and when i was looking at pictures of certain pests, i agree some of my leaf damage looked a lot like what caterpillars would do...but i looked long and hard and didnt find any...i also sprayed an organic insecticide (neem oil solution) about 2 days ago just in case.....
.....but i had a guy on another forum....this guy was supposed to be the most knowledgable man on the forum(not on his own account either) but he assured me it was 100% nutrient burn.....
....which i have to agree....thats what i originally thought it was....i even flushed one plant right away.....
....then another guy on that forum(he was a mod) told me to not ever flush....they dont need it....
...i told him that i thought maybe they were nute burnt and i told him that the leaf damage looked as if the plant was eating itself away....he says no no no something is munching on them(which is feasible ) he directs the neem oil solution.....then he tells me judging by your pictures you need to give them 3/4 dose bloom nutes with your next watering.....
...well they were already nute burnt at that point.....but this guy has me steered away from that...and i trust him cuz hes a moderator on that forum and he offered to oversee my grow.....which was great! BUT......
well he directed 3/4 does bloom nutes.....well i only gave them 1/4 dose.....
....well then after they get worse.....then he finally goes and asks someone that he knew would have been able to diagnose my problem right off the bat.....he tried to do it himself and fucked up lol....3 of my 7 plants look really bad with almost mutilated leaves...
...well his buddy the expert steps and tells me its nute burn and i need to flush the fuck out of them...
...thats where im at now....i just flushed the 3 bad ones two nights ago.....i hope they recover
...i dont know how much that will affect my ending result but at least i fixed the issue before they start to bud....theyre just starting to flower....
Now i have that issue taken care of......i need to figure out the what, why, when, and how to fix yellowing on my bottom leaves on pretty much all my plants.....

Any ideas?

I can't really answer the question about your leaves turning yellow, but can go into a bit more detail about caterpillars... I made the mistake of vegging my first grow in the outside greenhouse to try and save money on the electricity. Unbeknown to me, caterpillar eggs had been laid under the leaves. I awoke one morning to find just a few tracks and yellowing leaves, but saw no sign of anything else despite careful inspection. The next morning, still not knowing I had caterpillars, I awoke to find they had munched their way through even more leaves. It took me a few days to find any and by that time they had almost eaten one of my plants completely. This probably doesn't help with your problem much, but if you do still suspect pests, it may be worth trying the suggestion of shaking vigorously onto paper and seeing if anything turns up. Good luck with trying to find an answer, it seems everyone has their own personal opinion, but quite often simple problems can be resolved by a back-to-basics look at all yours conditions to see what may be going wrong.

My own personal observation is that the plant appears to be very droopy... it does look like nutrient burn but are you over-watering or have you splashed nutrient solution onto the bottom leaves while watering? I have always found out that less is nearly always more with nutrients. Some plants can be super-sensitive to them and what works for one will not necessarily work for another. In my latest soil grow, I didn't start using any until around the 6th week of vegging, having learned from past mistakes. After a watering with nutrients I now follow with two waterings with just plain water, allowing a 20% run-off each time.

I can't really answer the question about your leaves turning yellow, but can go into a bit more detail about caterpillars... I made the mistake of vegging my first grow in the outside greenhouse to try and save money on the electricity. Unbeknown to me, caterpillar eggs had been laid under the leaves. I awoke one morning to find just a few tracks and yellowing leaves, but saw no sign of anything else despite careful inspection. The next morning, still not knowing I had caterpillars, I awoke to find they had munched their way through even more leaves. It took me a few days to find any and by that time they had almost eaten one of my plants completely. This probably doesn't help with your problem much, but if you do still suspect pests, it may be worth trying the suggestion of shaking vigorously onto paper and seeing if anything turns up. Good luck with trying to find an answer, it seems everyone has their own personal opinion, but quite often simple problems can be resolved by a back-to-basics look at all yours conditions to see what may be going wrong.

My own personal observation is that the plant appears to be very droopy... it does look like nutrient burn but are you over-watering or have you splashed nutrient solution onto the bottom leaves while watering? I have always found out that less is nearly always more with nutrients. Some plants can be super-sensitive to them and what works for one will not necessarily work for another. In my latest soil grow, I didn't start using any until around the 6th week of vegging, having learned from past mistakes. After a watering with nutrients I now follow with two waterings with just plain water, allowing a 20% run-off each time.

Thanks again man........really appreciate you taking time you give me advice!
If it ends up being caterpillars i will be really surprised but i will do the piece of paper test....how small are they?

....also its a possibility i could have splashed water on those bottoms leaves....
...is there any chance of maybe magnesium def??.....maybe a 1 tablespoon per gallon of epsom salt.....are you aware of this method??

The size of caterpillars really depends on the type, but they can vary from very small to quite large.

I'm quite new to growing so can't really offer any further advice on correcting nutrient problems at this stage, but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be able to help. I know it is frustrating to see your plants suffering, but try not to do anything too rash. It is easy to add to your problems in the heat of the moment.

I agree, baby steps. Don't make to many changes/corrections at once. I might have some bugs myself so this read a good read. I've used Neem, but it's been a few weeks. Good luck, Dr

Hi Jay Rolla,

Looks like you got some good genetics and decent lighting, should have a nice run if you can get everything dialled in.

The yellowing of your leaves could be due to a number of things. It is interesting that it appears to only be the lower growth, starting from the outside working its way in.

I know that the lower growth will often wilt and be shed over time as it dies off naturally. That being said this seems a little too yellow and a little bit too much growth affected to be 'natural.

I have read in numerous journals that Fox Farm Ocean Forest runs a bit 'hot' (too much nutrient) for seedlings and young plants. FFOF is quite likely too strong for small sensitive plants in this situation. I have heard some people having similar problems to yours and then having more success with starting seedlings in something like Happy Frog or another lower nutrient mix.

As for the physical damage to the leaves earlier it could have been anything, a stray moth, a natural deformity, leaves touching some object for too long. If the physical damage isn't getting any worse I think you should be right with the neem and nothing else.

The growth which is burnt beyond repair (plants cannot repair burnt tissue) you might as well cut off. I would probably remove some of those messed up lower fan leaves as well. As long as you hold off the defoliation proper until the plant looks healthy.

If you can get your environment as clean and comfortable for the plant as possible and give them a good flush I expect they will bounce back well, are you on 18/6 timing so the girls get some rest? I have no evidence to back me up at all but when I am having plant issues I don't like leaving the light on 24 hours, it just feels like pushing them a bit hard. Just go easy on them and don't try to fix too many things at once, they will take a couple of days to really show much sign of improvement.

I saw you asking in another thread whether or not to top an auto. My advice would be not to. The way it was explained to me was that auto flowering plants are, for all intents and purposes, on a fixed schedule. From the moment they sprout they have a certain number of days to live. Doing any kind of aggressive training like topping and fimming will require (generally) about 3-5 days of recovery time.

For a photo plant aggressive training is fine, if not encouraged, as you are only adding 1-2 weeks typically to something like a 14 week full cycle. Autos though might only live for 9 weeks, stunting the growth and adding that extra recovery time will very likely decrease yield. Some LST (stem bending) is probably fine if your space requires it.

From what I have read autos are better left to just grow as quickly as possible and not 'messed with' too much. I will be getting some autos for my next run to try and get a bit of extra yield around my photo monsters!

If you can get even more pics of the yellowing leaves and post an update on how the flush went then I'm sure some of the smarter soil guys on here can get your girls sorted out.

*Oh and btw your leaves look a bit droopy, which is typically over-watering, but then again you are flushing so you probably know this. Just make sure you let them dry out a bit before watering. It seems that with watering and nutrients sometimes less is more.

:Namaste:

^^There's a lot of good information in this bud! Great read!^^

Keep in mind that once those leafs have yellowed out, it's ok to remove them. The plant will spend much of its energy trying to revive those leafs that I might be taking away from the rest of the plant.

After your flush its ok to let them sit without water for a good day or two to ensure that the extra water is gone before adding more
Also, just cause I'm on a roll. Don't forget to let your water evaporate at least 12 hours before using it to water your plant. Just to ensure that your not stripping your plant with Chlorine and other shit that kills all bacteria. Good and bad.

Hope this helps

Ps. Your passion and willingness to provided for your girls will pay off for you :)

Thanks a lot guys......you have been so kind and helpful to me.
Its gotta be somewhat annoying listen to newbies and their problems so i commend you for taking time to help.......i will repay the favor to newbies once i have my own success to stand on....

Yes i have been allowing my water to sit for at least 24 hours...most of the time longer...

As far as the girls looking a little droopy, yes i think your correct it is from the flushing...
....i dont think theres anyway im overwatering because i wait til the bucket is super light and dry 2 inches down.....but when i do water them maybe im giving them too much at the time....i usually allow for maybe 1-2 liters per plant to run off.

I did cut away all the burnt leaves from the light falling on them....it made the appearance of the plants look a lot better obviously...
i also do bend some of the big fan leaves down and out of the way to allow for more light to get into the plant...

...thanks for clearing that up on topping autos.....i kinda figured with the short life span that it wouldnt be a good idea.

So your recomended that i clip those yellow leaves off towards the bottom???...
...how much of them? all of them ?
...certain leaves?
....do i clip them right down where the stem and branch meet or clip just the leaf off.????

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Thanks a lot guys......you have been so kind and helpful to me.
Its gotta be somewhat annoying listen to newbies and their problems so i commend you for taking time to help.......i will repay the favor to newbies once i have my own success to stand on....

Yes i have been allowing my water to sit for at least 24 hours...most of the time longer...

As far as the girls looking a little droopy, yes i think your correct it is from the flushing...
....i dont think theres anyway im overwatering because i wait til the bucket is super light and dry 2 inches down.....but when i do water them maybe im giving them too much at the time....i usually allow for maybe 1-2 liters per plant to run off.

I did cut away all the burnt leaves from the light falling on them....it made the appearance of the plants look a lot better obviously...
i also do bend some of the big fan leaves down and out of the way to allow for more light to get into the plant...

...thanks for clearing that up on topping autos.....i kinda figured with the short life span that it wouldnt be a good idea.

So your recomended that i clip those yellow leaves off towards the bottom???...
...how much of them? all of them ?
...certain leaves?
....do i clip them right down where the stem and branch meet or clip just the leaf off.????

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Take the leaf and the stem to the stock. Should just come right off with a little downward pressure. But only remove the ones that are yellowed right out. But yes bending the fan leaves out of the way is Better rather than taking them off (if there not yellowed). Opinions vary significantly in regards to removing healthy leaves. So, I'll let you choose your own opinion on that.

As for getting annoyed helping newbies. Bro, we were all in your shoes not so long ago. And if it wasn't for the people helping people, 420 magazine wouldn't be what it is today. And as I'm sure you know the help doesn't go unnoticed. So paying it forward it the way to go :)

Sounds great Pigeon.....thanks again for your input!

Tonight when my light come back on at 9pm.....ill go down and clip the yellowed leaves out of there....
..im happy to find out that i can clip them out, ive wanted to do that for a couple days now just because of the appears...
but i didnt want to do anything that may hurt the plant in the long run.....so thanks for your input man.

As for the plants that i flushed.....
The very next day they all looked better...as far as just overall happy looking.....then the next day following they started to droop a little bit..prolly due to the flushing.....so i would imagine they will start to thank me for the flushing here soon. Some of the leaf damage i dont think will be able to recover....but i dont know, we'll see.

Ill get some updated pictures tonight.....

I try to not give out much advice, because I don't really know jack. But, on this site there are many who do, but all are willing to share knowledge. It's up to you to decide what works for you. But, this knowledge sharing, it says something. About we do and what we love.

I try to not give out much advice, because I don't really know jack. But, on this site there are many who do, but all are willing to share knowledge. It's up to you to decide what works for you. But, this knowledge sharing, it says something. About we do and what we love.

Peter, so modest!
I learn a lot from and with Peter everyday. Wouldn't be where I am without him :)

Im more than happy to have you guys giving me advice....

....ill take it all....decide what i want to do based on what would work best for me...
...ill share my results and hopefully we will all learn a thing or two in the process...

...imagine if we do this for all of our grows....after a few grows we could learn a lot from each other and become really good growers.

So please stay tuned to my first journal at least and offer advice whenever you see fit....the more the better!

Here are a few pictures of my best plant....its my best strain and it looks the healthiest and happiest.

Big Bud x Northern Lights
Entering week 7 tomorrow, (1-1-15)......shes really starting to bloom and buds are developing fairly quickly. Its exciting seeing buds forming!....this plant seems to be quite a bit ahead of the rest of the plants.
Shes about 14-16 inches tall

IMG_120023.JPG

IMG_120121.JPG

IMG_118830.JPG

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/IMG_119724.JPG[/img

[img]https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/IMG_118624.JPG

IMG_119921.JPG

IMG_119824.JPG

Looking good. How long does that one run?

Back
Top Bottom