Drain To Waste Setups

Just wanted to show my drip ring and manifold setup.
The manifold with three outlet feed lines to a drip ring
The three feed lines connected to the nine outlet drip ring. This pic show them running.

GR

I use large trays that drain back to a large tote box. I have a float switch so that when the tote fills up, the pump kicks on to pump it to a drain. I have 2 rez's - one for nutes and one for water. They are on cycle timers and the nutes come on every 4 hours only while lights are on. Water kicks on 1x every 24 hours to flush salts. IMO, water is good to use in coco - as long as it's followed shortly after with nutes. You don't want them sitting too long in plain water. 8" drip rings and 1/2" tubing. Ball valve at each feed to regulate flow. It took a little playing around to figure out a way to prevent a syphon from draining the rez - and how to keep each rez from back flowing into each other. But now the system is great and fairly hands off. Pretty much I just mix nutes weekly and monitor everything. I'm just harvesting my 6th batch from this system.

IMG_1656.jpg

OK, just made a change to the irrigation system.
Day 25 of veg. Increased the rez from a two rez system with a capacity of 15 to 20 gallons to a single 35 gallon rez, running around 25 gallons in the tank.
Went with a 12V, 1 gallon per minute, @ 80 psi, 120 V to 12V reducer and a 30 psi pressure reducer.

20181005_095306-jpg.1623845

A bit cleaner setup, no more drip ring, using adjustable stream heads.

20181005_095120-jpg.1623843

20181005_095114-jpg.1623842

This manifold is from my original setup from years ago when I was growing in my DIY cabinet, I kept it and glad I did.

20181005_095126-jpg.1623844

Got roots? Just love my Smart Pots, Canna Coco and Great White!

20181005_100022-jpg.1623846

Did a test run, this new system seems to wet the medium more even than past methods.
The plants are, as stated previously, very Indica dominate. One is 21 inches, two more of the 5 are just under that and the last two are around 16 inches. As fast as they took off after germination I expect them to be growing more.
If you have grown Big Buddha Cheese what are your experiences?

GR

Making adjustments to the new drip setup, getting too much runoff.
Started at 3:15 min/cycle, lowered to 3 min/cycle and today adjusted it to 2:45 min/cycle.
Three cycles per 24 hr period, 12 AM, 8 AM, and 4 PM.

I know this is an old thread, but I use self priming diaphragm pumps to drain my drip trays. I have a controller that activates them once a day. The pumps are small, relatively cheap and low voltage. I use one pump for each drip tray. I run some silicon tubing from the pumps and just set the end in the drip tray. Like another member said earlier, they don't drain them till they are dry, but leave maybe 1/4 of a cup of waste solution behind.
20210607_202230.jpg
20210607_202255.jpg

On the next grow following my post in Sept 18, I changed the rez to a 27 gallon Commander Tote. Also change the size of the RV pump, wanted to do a 24 plant SOG and needed more water than the smaller pump would provide. The new pump has served me well. The rez is much stronger and easier to clean. I am still using the Orbit manifold and the Railbird emitters.
20190918_101836  (2).jpg

Here are pics from a 13 plant grow I did after the SOG. The SOG was not as successful as past grows. This was very manageable number of plants..
Start of flower
20190923_090034.jpg

Mid flower
20191008_205103.jpg

Just prior to harvest.
20191112_090800 (2).jpg

Hey, Neil here. I used to use a wetvac, but here is what I do now. I use a flood table. I put a 2x4 under one side, so the water collects at one end. At that end, I use a low-profile submersible water pump. I run the hose attached to it to my lawn outside. I turn it on once a day.

To be sure my plants do not sit in water, I set each one on a short crate.

Hey, Neil here. I used to use a wetvac, but here is what I do now. I use a flood table. I put a 2x4 under one side, so the water collects at one end. At that end, I use a low-profile submersible water pump. I run the hose attached to it to my lawn outside. I turn it on once a day.

To be sure my plants do not sit in water, I set each one on a short crate.
Hey Buddy,
I do something very similar, my grow tray sits on a DIY stand 8 inches above a low 4 to 6 gallon catch tray that the grow tray drains into.

These pics I just took don't show the pump but it is a very small bottom draw that does the trick.
20220107_104134.jpg
The waste is pumped into a 5 gallon bucket that is dumped outside. I check the catch basin daily but can go 5 to 6 days without dumping, but don't take no chances.
20220107_104140.jpg

This has worked great for me as I am sure yours has also.

This is a pic of my drain tray and solution distribution systems. It is a 4x4 tray on the DIY stand above the catch basin, the tent is 5x5. The fabric bags on sat on the raised with racks.
20210918_140845 (3).jpg

Sorry to ramble.

A condensate pump is a relatively low profile unit with a small reservoir activated by a float switch. Put one at the end of your drain line and pump it to wherever you want.
That is a GREAT solution. Condensate pumps make a little noise but they only run for a short time.
Condensate pumps come in 2 main configurations: standard (Lil' Giant style) and low profile.
It should also be known that you can get them with/out a low voltage safety switch which can be used to alert you if it quits pumping or is otherwise unable to pump enough to prevent flooding the area.

I use a boat bilge pump and an old lunhcbox which sits under a false floor in my 4x4 and like the other have a lean on my tray so it flows to one point in the trays.
I drilled a hole in my drip trays and silicone in a 13mm elbow which drains into the lunch box below. Bilge pumps out at a good rate and I have it running to a drain 10m+ away.
Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom