Dreaming of a Indoor Setup for winter

CrankyMaddog

So I have been reading the many blogs and journals on CFL grows vice a HID grow. At first I thought a CFL setup would save me a ton of money, but after reading Tulip's CFL Light Tutorial it doesn't seem that way. I have 5' by 5' space, doing the math in his article I got:
5' x 5'= 25sq feet
212,500 lumens
3,035 watts of CFL's @ 70 lumens per watt

That would mean I would need 46 65W Bulbs!! Then split them into 23 2700k and 23 6500.

Now I'm only looking to grow like three plants in that space at any one time. Is my math right or did I mess up some place?

The space I have is totally ready, except for the lighting. Been planning for awhile, this is my last thing to get.

Thanks for any advice!!! And feel free to make fun of me if my math is way off....

Re: Dreaming of a Indoor Setup for winter....

well since u have been reading about lighting any reason u dont want to start out for veggie with MH 250-400W so to not make stretching (depending on how many plants and area for Wattage of light),and than switch to a HPS 400-600W?
Seeing how that is the most standard lighting method out there.

Ur space is perfect for 250W or 400W MH and then switch to 400W HPS after the first month n half of veggie.

Thanks tk86high. I do have my eye on a 400 watt system, which is roughly 200 dollars. I was looking to save money and thought that by using CFL's was supposed to do that. Plus with CFL's you don't have worry about the heat, electricity cost, a greener grow, ect.

So I guess is my question is, how many cfl's would I need to grow three plants in a 5 by 5 space. I would be able to adjust the height and placement of the bulbs with no problems.

I just want to know if it would be more cost effective in the end. Thanks again for any advice.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Over 200 views and no one has an opinion? I have read so much that I just want a step by step guide at this point....lol...Buy this many bulbs, at this many watts and it will be plenty for your three plants. Or just tell me to stop trying to be cheap and buy the 400 Watt system your looking at....lol...any and all opinions are welcomed....

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Over 200 views and no one has an opinion? I have read so much that I just want a step by step guide at this point....lol...Buy this many bulbs, at this many watts and it will be plenty for your three plants. Or just tell me to stop trying to be cheap and buy the 400 Watt system your looking at....lol...any and all opinions are welcomed....

well 23 of either is just over kill and a wiring nightmare. now 6 of each seems more reasonable.
there are many fine growers here that use even less. and I have used cfls to veg with. as long as they are kept within inches of your girls growth will be fine. I also have a 400w hps for to plants with 4t8s supplemental lighting and I am very satisfied with my grow.
if you have the money for the hps buy it. if you dont get SOME cfls either way they will grow.
here is a pic of my grow with the 400w hps
DSC017025.JPG

there is 2 plants there and a third still could be added.

Get a used 600 watt ballast on craigslist or something and a new bulb online. Youll save some cash and be happier with the result than with the CFLs. The CFLs work but there is very little canopy penetration and if you miss a day of adjusting your lights the plants might touch your CFL, get burnt and slightly stunted.

Ebay has the ballast and bulbs for very cheap prices. I got my whole setup 2-lights MH and HPS cooling tube with ballast for around $180 it was an auction price but still u can get complete sets , light with ballast for a 250W setup for under $140 all day. As i would think thats good enough for 2 plants . as I veggie 3 plants or more on 250W MH and they r always ready for flowering after 5 weeks under the 250W MH .

Thanks for all the responses. I guess in the end CFL's are not the way to go, I am going to go for the 400W MH/HPS set-up. Thinking of doing a grow journal...

My grow uses 400W MH and HPS if you want to take a peak.

400 watts is too small for a 5x5 Cranky. You would want a 600 watt or a 1000watt if going the HPS route.

You should be able to get a 1000watt switchable ballast for 200-250.

Remember though thats going to be a lot of heat generated, so make sure you have a way to vent it out.

Get a used 600 watt ballast on craigslist or something and a new bulb online. Youll save some cash and be happier with the result than with the CFLs. The CFLs work but there is very little canopy penetration and if you miss a day of adjusting your lights the plants might touch your CFL, get burnt and slightly stunted.

I agree. The money you will spend on bulbs, sockets, wiring switches etc ...... you would have been able to buy a complete 600w grow light kit on ebay, craiglist or amazon.

Back
Top Bottom