Dried bud smell?

Justones

So I have a couple girls in flower with all cloudy trichnomes. They are sativa dominant from bag seed, but both are different strains because they grew different & have different flower smells. Ive been cutting little samples off & drying them to test. Here is the odd part. They smell live on the plant. But when dried there isn't much of a smell to the buds if any at all. Smokes good & feels good. Just no odor to the dried stuff. What gives? is it just going to be that way because of genetics or environment? Is there anything you can do to promote them to smell? I almost thought about putting some mint leaves in with them while drying to maybe absorb that a bit. Its just my personal stuff so I dont mind experimenting to see what helps.

......later on..
I clipped a couple more samples off. Used the wash method with baking soda then water rinse. But this time instead of lemon juice. I added small drops of pure vanilla extract with the baking soda water mix.

Might off dried it to fast trapping in chlorophyll & other stuff leading to a less pungent odour.

Years ago i use to do the same & take a small trim dry fast like on a radiator, low heated grill or even oven not sure if i tried the micro wave ? but may of done at some point... all turned out pretty odourless but got ya medicated.

The real secret is the slow air dry process & then curing for a couple of weeks if not longer to bring out the flavour & aroma :thumb:

Ye can get hardcore about ideal temps & humidity for the slow air dry tho plus curing humidity level... we can not all get away with ideal conditions !

Thanks.. I have been letting it air dry in a closet suspended upside down. Just not waiting long to try it. In about 3/4 days it's dry enough to smoke. Maybe it will smell more later your saying?

Sounds like your temps are high & relative humidity is low for it to dry ready to smoke in 3 to 4 days ye seen this mentioned quite a few times about short drying times mainly with growers across the pond from myself, not that my own conditions would do that in such a short time or that i'd smoke my weed after just drying... just my own preference on the smoking part :thumb:

How do i explain this ?

When i'm doing the slow air dry the bud smells like damp hay/grass for the first few to several days on average temps is about 20c with RH 50% most of the time, with the aroma generally increasing to the point of stem snap/cracking with out breaking fully some 10 to 14 days later before jarring/curing continues for the next 2 weeks burping twice daily before final seal/storage with aroma increasing, ye i can smell the bud when it is in the jars sealed most of the time for the first few weeks of curing !

So ye, we both have a big difference in conditions we dry in a big factor to where we live etc...

Mmm working on it... perhaps leave em to hang a little longer in till ya notice a change of smell, don't let em get to crispy tho ! or once dried go for a curing process which is more likely the better option :thumb:

On a side note - if technical, dried bud once cured is stored around 60% RH give or take a point or two, ya can look around for ideal conditions via research if ya like !

I tend to like my bud on the more dry side, and in my conditions (usually 20-40% RH) 3-5 days is a common dry time. On the other hand, I've never dried more than a couple of ounces at a time. Some other growers I know who harvested like 5 pounds and dried them in their homes had them hanging for quite a bit longer than that and they never really got too dried out. I suspect with that much though it creates a little bit of a micro-climate.

Back
Top Bottom