Droopy clone

1seaweed1

dear experts,

I recently purchased some clones and transplanted the into jiffy pots. I used miracle gro soil and moistened with diluted root starter and have them under florescent light for 18 hrs. All look as if they are doing great so far , but one is drooping. It has a thin stem which can't support the weight of the leaves. What needs to be done? should I lessen light and water to promote more root growth?

How often should I be watering clones?

:thanks:

Re: droopy clone....

I take it the clones weren't rooted yet?
You need to keep them in a humidity dome for a week or so. Clones don't get moisture from the soil, they get it through there leaves till the roots get established. So get a humidity dome and just mist the inside lid of the dome once or twice a day.

I take it the clones weren't rooted yet?
You need to keep them in a humidity dome for a week or so. Clones don't get moisture from the soil, they get it through there leaves till the roots get established. So get a humidity dome and just mist the inside lid of the dome once or twice a day.

Hi Weed20,

so when you first put the clones in the soil, do you worry about watering the soil? or do you just spray the humidity dome twice a day and let the clones get their water from the humidity? i have a friend who tells me he doesn't spray the soil, he just really sprays the humidity dome heavily twice a day. is that possible?

how do you handle watering clones?

thanks for any and all help. i'm just starting out and trying to learn more about clones/cloning.

Well this is all new to me. I bought the clones and they were growing in a green block of something and the roots were coming thought that. I have 4 I bought a few weeks earlier and just strait transplanted into 4" high x 5"diameter jiffy pots the same way. I moistened my soil with diluted rooting solution, made a hole for the cube, placed it in, gently packed soil around and on top, and they have taken off. they have quadrupled in size, but I have no type of dome. I did give them a gentle mist now and then.

This one new droopy clone too a long twist tie and ran it up and around it for support until it can stand on its own. But what about watering every day or every other?

Well this is all new to me. I bought the clones and they were growing in a green block of something and the roots were coming thought that. I have 4 I bought a few weeks earlier and just strait transplanted into 4" high x 5"diameter jiffy pots the same way. I moistened my soil with diluted rooting solution, made a hole for the cube, placed it in, gently packed soil around and on top, and they have taken off. they have quadrupled in size, but I have no type of dome. I did give them a gentle mist now and then.

This one new droopy clone too a long twist tie and ran it up and around it for support until it can stand on its own. But what about watering every day or every other?

Ok, they came in a cube of rockwool (insulation)...rooting solution is for dipping cuttings
in to make your own clones. You dont need a dome as they are growing ok. Keep the cups moist but not saturated. Your going to have to transplant them again in a couple of weeks. Sounds like the droopy clone didn't harden off and you might lose her....are you going to take cuttings from them to make more or use one as a mom? Don't like Miracle grow anything, soil or nutes....if I used soil it would be promix or sunshine 4 in the states.

Hi Weed20,

so when you first put the clones in the soil, do you worry about watering the soil? or do you just spray the humidity dome twice a day and let the clones get their water from the humidity? i have a friend who tells me he doesn't spray the soil, he just really sprays the humidity dome heavily twice a day. is that possible?

thanks for any and all help. i'm just starting out and trying to learn more about clones/cloning.
I soak the soil with a B1 water mix, poke a hole with a pencil and then carefully insert the clone with cloning powser into the hole and then press the hole in around the stem. Put them in a humidity dome, I like to use plastic tubs from walmart, I buy 2 and use one tub as the lid to make the humidity domes taller. Then just get a sprayer and spray the inside of the dome once or twice a day, no nutes. After about a week, remove the lid and see if the plants wilt after about an hour. If they do it means they still don't have good enough roots so recover them for a few more days.

They shouldn't need much water depending on your enviorement. If its above 80 you will have to water more. You'll want the pots to pretty much dry out, roots need oxygen and they can only get that when the soil is moist to dry. I like putting one inch holes in the lower part of the pots so I can stick my finger in to feel the soil. Don't worry if the plants get a little dry once in awhile and get droopy. They'll perk right back up after watering.

:thanks: little droopy has perked up I'll try not to over water. I think I'll transplant the older ones today as they are about 18" and getting too big bushy for the jiffy pot. :rollit:

I soak the soil with a B1 water mix, poke a hole with a pencil and then carefully insert the clone with cloning powser into the hole and then press the hole in around the stem. Put them in a humidity dome, I like to use plastic tubs from walmart, I buy 2 and use one tub as the lid to make the humidity domes taller. Then just get a sprayer and spray the inside of the dome once or twice a day, no nutes. After about a week, remove the lid and see if the plants wilt after about an hour. If they do it means they still don't have good enough roots so recover them for a few more days.

do you have to put any holes in the tubs for ventilation?

no i bury cubes without disturbing roots. all is well now, the was the fist trouble i ever had and all my plants ave very healthy now and thriving :woohoo:

Hi Weed20,

thats pretty much what I do unless the rockwool or coco is noticably drying. .and I usually get roots really quick.

Back
Top Bottom