Good to have you back, too @Zephyrs!! I'm ironically running 2 autos now also with my 3 photos-generally only do 1 auto at a time so we qill both have autos to drought!

I do them basically the exact same way brother- based off of the flowering window. Autos tend to use more water so I see them dry out a touch quicker than photos.

I drought normally at Week 7 or 8 but then usually fertigate and pull them to dry and trim soon after (like 1-3 days after) since they finish up a little quicker, they usually don't need that additional week or 2 we usually see when droughting photos-especially a long flowering sativa variety.

And pot size but I think you keep yours in big pots like me right? Are they 5s or 3 gls? If they're 3 gl, obviously they will dry out sooner.
That's kinda cool ya running some autos as well! How far along are they? And yeah I kinda figured I'd start at what would seem to be week 7ish of flower with them like a photo would look I guess. I've grown hundreds of photos over the years, but only a couple handfuls of Auto flowers in the last few years though. But its not untill now that I will be exploring the Droughting Technique for the first time. It will be fun to have ya along with your autos as well! Now maybe I can learn something :Rasta: And yeah I hope its not overkill for an Auto, but I wanted to give them as much room as they could want though. The white square 2 are 5 gallon filled not quite to the top, and the round black are 3 gallon. Now I really can't wait another month or so!:)

That's kinda cool ya running some autos as well! How far along are they?
Tiny! They just came out of the ground Sunday and Tuesday! Gelatos...
And yeah I kinda figured I'd start at what would seem to be week 7ish of flower with them like a photo would look I guess. I've grown hundreds of photos over the years, but only a couple handfuls of Auto flowers in the last few years though. But its not untill now that I will be exploring the Droughting Technique for the first time. It will be fun to have ya along with your autos as well! Now maybe I can learn something :Rasta:
I think we all always learn from each other! I started with all autos then flipped my picks but I just have this undying love for the autoflowers for some reason, maybe cause that is where it all began for me? You got this easy peasy, no different than what you are used to with photo droughting.
And yeah I hope its not overkill for an Auto, but I wanted to give them as much room as they could want though. The white square 2 are 5 gallon filled not quite to the top, and the round black are 3 gallon. Now I really can't wait another month or so!:)
Def watch the 3s cause they will dry out fast but those 5s could take you the entire droughtspan. They are made to be more resilient so this is actually easier on them than I think it is the photos tbh

Tiny! They just came out of the ground Sunday and Tuesday! Gelatos...

I think we all always learn from each other! I started with all autos then flipped my picks but I just have this undying love for the autoflowers for some reason, maybe cause that is where it all began for me? You got this easy peasy, no different than what you are used to with photo droughting.

Def watch the 3s cause they will dry out fast but those 5s could take you the entire droughtspan. They are made to be more resilient so this is actually easier on them than I think it is the photos tbh
Thanks for the Tip/heads-up on the 3 gallon drying out too quick, good tip:high-five:. I don't usually grow in less than the 5 gallon white square ones. But those dry out hella fast with a photo period outdoor for sure. I still getting adjusted to these smaller auto flower's and there slight difference from photo period's plants.

That's kinda cool ya running some autos as well! How far along are they? And yeah I kinda figured I'd start at what would seem to be week 7ish of flower with them like a photo would look I guess. I've grown hundreds of photos over the years, but only a couple handfuls of Auto flowers in the last few years though. But its not untill now that I will be exploring the Droughting Technique for the first time. It will be fun to have ya along with your autos as well! Now maybe I can learn something :Rasta: And yeah I hope its not overkill for an Auto, but I wanted to give them as much room as they could want though. The white square 2 are 5 gallon filled not quite to the top, and the round black are 3 gallon. Now I really can't wait another month or so!:)
Will you be journaling this grow? Do you have a link?

I don't currently have a grow journal. But I really should have one for a couple different reasons :rollit:
Ahoy @Zephyrs
Not to disagree with my protege, however most of my documented runs are conducted in Kitty Liter containers. About 3.5 gallons of capacity. The constitution of the medium is primarily what controls the drying time, not the container size. Alibi a 1 gallon is faster, but my point being at 3 gallons you should be able to run the full 11 days on most strains. The ratio of perlite to peat is your adjustment point. @InTheShed taught me how to use this ratio to dial in the drying speed.

I hope that I was clear. Any questions, just ask. :love:
Full Sails to You

Ahoy @Zephyrs
Not to disagree with my protege, however most of my documented runs are conducted in Kitty Liter containers. About 3.5 gallons of capacity. The constitution of the medium is primarily what controls the drying time, not the container size. Alibi a 1 gallon is faster, but my point being at 3 gallons you should be able to run the full 11 days on most strains. The ratio of perlite to peat is your adjustment point. @InTheShed taught me how to use this ratio to dial in the drying speed.

Full Sails to You
Thanks Maritimer! My words are based only off experience, you are the man behind the science!

Ahoy @Zephyrs

Full Sails to You
Hi There @Maritimer :ciao:. It's good to hear from you, And yea I might have A few questions about the Process of droughting with autos. As I am just learning how different Auto flowers are from Photo Period plants. I pre filled these planters with an organic bagged soil that is produced and sold locally. It's a very well made air'y coco/peat mix wi many extra bennies;) There in 3 and 5 gallon planters. Q? Would adding some fresh worm castings help right before the Droughting starts at +- week 7ish? The reason I ask is cause worm castings can Help retain water in an organic soil. Good Idea? Or No? :hmmmm:

Hey Zeph, not Maritmer here (obv) but I'll chime in on your question as I use worm castings a lot.

The whole point with droughting is to dry out the medium so the plant experiences some stress to start a survival reaction, so no, anything that helps retain water works counter to that effort.

I grow in SIPs which keep the soil much wetter than a typical pot so it takes longer to see the effects of withholding water and getting to the targeted leaf wilt angle (50% of whatever starting angle you measured on day 1).

The whole point with droughting is to dry out the medium so the plant experiences some stress to start a survival reaction, so no, anything that helps retain water works counter to that effort.

Well said AZ

Hey Zeph, not Maritmer here (obv) but I'll chime in on your question as I use worm castings a lot.

I grow in SIPs which keep the soil much wetter than a typical pot so it takes longer to see the effects of withholding water and getting to the targeted leaf wilt angle (50% of whatever number you measured on day 1).
I gotcha, thanks for the reply :rollit:

Looks like a reveg to me.
Just now seen this reply! Yep it was a reveg. I would love to reveg some sour g. I can't find my pizookies I look high and low. I was going to run one or two of those with some Sour G again but that's not going to happen. I just don't know where the hell I put them I thought I had them with my sour g but hell I can't find them either. Thank God I had another pack of sour g

I remember it well too what happened was sometimes I would have to click the light off because I didn't want to catch a fire going to work and I sometimes I would have to click the light off because I didn't want to catch a fire when going to work that's when I was growing them in that box so they're kind of got their lights messed up here and there and I believe that's why the reveg came along.

Back
Top Bottom