Guys and gals, I'd like to start off with a slight introduction to the medicinal benefits of droughting our 420 plants. This will be an open forum discussion for all things droughting related. I'm currently in the process of completing my notes and developing a thesis, if you will, on this stress technique, but with so much ground to cover and with so many questions sure to arise, it's important we get going.

Let me get your attention with these numbers and then see how many of you will be able to turn your heads in the other direction-I'd imagine nobody will....

The Substantial Effects on Cannabinoid Yield in Drought Versus That Of Control:

THC 50% higher yield
THCA 43% higher yield
CBD 67% higher yield
CBDA 47% higher yield

Drought treatment elicited a 12% and 13% increase in THCA and CBDA concentration, respectively.

Yield of flower in control was:
178+/- @ 9.4 grams per meter squared
Yield of flower in drought was:
232+/- @ 18.5 grams per meter squared

Do I have your attention yet?

Before dropping in this comment I made on another feed today, thanks again @ppm Charlie for adding me onto that conversation, I would like to note that I had a prior misconception to growing..

I thought at all times I needed to have the most beautiful plant ever. I never looked into what actually gives our cannabis it's medicinal properties nor did I ever set out to embark on a journey to find out what added stressors would elevate those properties.

By some red string effect, I fell upon 420, @Maritimer and his original thread where I stumbled across this technique. Since integrating it loosely into my last few harvests and both SEEING and FEELING the results, I have not looked back. Moreover, I wanted to learn everything I could and not only that, but spread this knowledge to every grower I could. I hope that you all can in time learn this methadology and put it to use to help us finally end this war on pain, both physically and mentally.

Droughting has the end goal of increasing valuable metabolites such as THC and cannabinoids. Drought response has been observed in many plant species; in cannabis, the drought escape response accelerates flowering in response to drought stress-i.e, the increase of resin production.

The main focus of ABA is to be a promoter of stomatal closure which is synthesized in the roots and mature leaves in response to water stress.

It is important to note the health of your leaves during a drought as ABA is transported from roots to xylem to the leaves before returning back to the roots and the process repeats itself.

Droughting is a delicate balance as a plants plasticity is very important in the transportation and absorption of nutrients and light.

"Leaves are very important to a plant in that they create an avenue where phosynthesis and thermoregulation can occur".

Evolution developed their leaf shape to a myriad of different types to create a means of balancing energy production with the plant's fitness.

The GRN is the Genetic Regulatory Network that is responsible for creating this phenotypic plasticity. It involves a myriad of genes and proteins, including the aforementioned, to regulate its morphology through stress.

*Note: This stress technique is a controlled droughting experiment done for up to 11 days around the 7th week of flower; the length of droughting time is determined only by the LWA (Leaf Wilt Angle) and not the total #of days

I’m in like Flynn….

I had read you were working with Maritimer so I’m excited about that!

I am droughting an Amnesia right now and I didn’t have time to ask but 7 weeks from flip versus 7 weeks from first sign of pistils was one question… I did 7 weeks from first pistils

another thought for me was…. one really needs to be on point in week 6 with regards to reducing water volume and/or frequency of watering sessions in preparation for the upcoming drought… for example during week 6 you could just lightly spray mist top of soil once or twice but I know gravity still does it’s thing and moisture sinks in the substrate

anyway I will clam up and let you get on with things - I’m anxious to learn more!

I’m in like Flynn
I knew you would be!!! I'm on it like white on rice big daddy...I know so many people have so many questions

I’d love to know if this could be done in DWC … but doesn’t sound like it!

I’d love to know if this could be done in DWC … but doesn’t sound like it!
Ohhhhhh @Rexer My good friend!!! Can you please assist my lady friend here when you have a free few minutes, please and thank you!!

It's a tough question, and I can't be certain of the effects on the roots.

I did it in my system, however I use a 100% hydroton medium. Does that make a difference? I don't know, to be 100% honest.

I'm open to helping you try- but it's at your discretion when venturing into the unknown!

It's a tough question, and I can't be certain of the effects on the roots.

I did it in my system, however I use a 100% hydroton medium. Does that make a difference? I don't know, to be 100% honest.

I'm open to helping you try- but it's at your discretion when venturing into the unknown!
I appreciate that Rexer, I know it is trying to figure out a way to simulate a drought. If anyone had any thoughts on it, I just knew it was you!
Cant lie im sceptical about the idea.
Its like the 24/48 hour darkness debat.
But will be lurking as i do ;)
You know the dark at the end, I haven't seen much difference. I started doing it cause everyone said to and I was like well if everyone else is...but yea, nothing to write home about at all. This though....this is worth it...I'm telling ya...and lurk away, you know I lurk you all the time ;)

I'm interested in learning more. :popcorn:
Promise for much learning, there's so much information. I know as soon as some people see this initial post, there will be a bunch of questions and we can shoot off from there while I finish up the last few pages I have to cover myself

Fantastic Krissi! This is good! I drought all the time and am never going back. You can actually see the trichomes buildup when it happens! I can anyway, with my naked eyes! I'm glad you're spreading the news! I've been mentioning it every time I do it and few people have taken notice. It's real and it's free, and it works! I know, sounds too good to be true, but it's not! Maritimer let the Genie out of the bottle!

Thanks for starting this thread Krissi! I was reawakened to the benefits of drought application by Maritimer's excellent study and experimentation of it, so I feel a lot of warmth and appreciation to him for all the efforts he made to share with the rest us. Appreciate you @Maritimer! :green_heart:

Fantastic Krissi! This is good! I drought all the time and am never going back. You can actually see the trichomes buildup when it happens! I can anyway, with my naked eyes!

You are NOT the only one!!! Caked with trichomes!!
I'm glad you're spreading the news! I've been mentioning it every time I do it and few people have taken notice.

I know a lot of heads have turned!!
It's real and it's free, and it works! I know, sounds too good to be true, but it's not! Maritimer let the Genie out of the bottle!
He absolutely did and I'm forever grateful to him!

Thanks for starting this thread Krissi! I was reawakened to the benefits of drought application by Maritimer's excellent study and experimentation of it, so I feel a lot of warmth and appreciation to him for all the efforts he made to share with the rest us. Appreciate you @Maritimer[/USEforward
[/QUOTE]
THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY!!! I love that all of this information is paying its way forward! It works, it is easy and it is proven by studies and by us!!! Nothing better now than spreading the good word!!!

[QUOTE="Melville Hobbes, post: 5463075, member: 352732"]
I'm looking forward to finding out more.
[/QUOTE]
I'm thankful that you are, along with others!! This is a diamond in the rough so to speak and yes, huge thank you to [USER=330658]@Maritimer
for beginning this journey with us in the first place![/USER]

It really doesn't make any sense from a biological point of view.

The plant is a living machine. It takes in nutrients, energy and moisture. It gives out growth and eventually fruit.

In a former life I was a rugby player. I used to do weight lifting as a secondary training method.
If I wanted to gain mass I wouldn't deprive the living machine of energy or any of the elements I'd need to build muscle.

How does stressing or removing the literal thing we need to do this help?

All you are doing is forcing the plant to eat itself in the same way your body uses fat reserves the plant uses its leaves.

Once the leaves are gone they are gone.

I'll always take 2 full weeks of growth providing everything the plant needs over depriving the plant. Any perceived increase in oil/thc seems very circumstancial. The plant needs energy to produce oil. Why do we spend literally the whole crop from seed providing everything the plant could ever need just to remove that towards the end.

Is really simple as I see it. There isn't any living being which has ever thrived when it's needs aren't fulfilled. I can't name a single other drought method used in any other form of farming. It's literally the opposite of what you should do. The results at best look like the plant has been flushed properly. And at worst they stop increasing bud size and the whole stem dies.

I won't be doing this personally.

The plant is a living machine. It takes in nutrients, energy and moisture. It gives out growth and eventually fruit.

In a former life I was a rugby player. I used to do weight lifting as a secondary training method.
If I wanted to gain mass I wouldn't deprive the living machine of energy or any of the elements I'd need to build muscle.

All you are doing is forcing the plant to eat itself in the same way your body uses fat reserves the plant uses its leaves.

I'll always take 2 full weeks of growth providing everything the plant needs over depriving the plant. Any perceived increase in oil/thc seems very circumstancial. The plant needs energy to produce oil. Why do we spend literally the whole crop from seed providing everything the plant could ever need just to remove that towards the end.

Is really simple as I see it. There isn't any living being which has ever thrived when it's needs aren't fulfilled. I can't name a single other drought method used in any other form of farming. It's literally the opposite of what you should do. The results at best look like the plant has been flushed properly. And at worst they stop increasing bud size and the whole stem dies.

I think I can see where you are coming from Moony.

I would explain it this way (just my 2 cents), that under the duress of drought, the plant adjusts itself to cope, to become more resilient to the lack of available water, and it does this by making more oil/resin to presumably slow down it's water loss. And the result is, or can be, more oily sticky potent buds. This happened to me inadvertently, when I grew a plant in a small ceramic pot that would heat up in the hot sun, every day in summer the plant was wilted at the end of the day. It's sugar leaves appeared like they'd been given several coats of varnish. It came from bag seed that was adequate at best but remains the most potent I have grown.

As another example of how living things adapt to environmental conditions. As a young man in my 20's, myself and another fellow backpacker bought an old yacht that had been caught/submerged/rudder bent on a Florida sand bar, we repaired it and then sailed it across the Atlantic to Europe. The skin on my hands on any normal day is I think pretty soft skin, but after 3 months of salt water and hauling ropes my palms were hard and like leather. I still ate food for nutrition etc, but my body changed to cope with the environment, which to me is what is occurring when drought application is applied to cannabis. I can understand your scepticism.

Oh this is not true. The plant does not eat itself during a drought. Our genetic composition is nothing of that of a plant, especially of the cannabis variety. Our bodily responses to stressors are not received in the same way as stressors are to plants.

In fact, the cannabis plant is able to morph its genetic code in something called phenotypic plasticity. In times of stress, genes and proteins are triggered which allow the plant to develop and grow differently in order to preserve itself. While doing this, certain enzymes are exasperated by the process allowing for the increase in all of the noteworthy items listed above.

A cannabis plant does not starve itself during a drought, it does not eat away at what it has left. It synthesizes and it goes through a morphology. I believe that is the common misconception with droughting in the masses, Moon.

You can't compare us to a plant...apples and oranges. I too was an athlete but our cannabis is more of the XMen variety than human as far as their ability to use their GNR system and adapt to stressors

About a year ago on cbc there was a small segment about one of the first students to do university studies on growing cannabis. At the time he mentioned that drought stress could be beneficial.
But in that same class was 29 other students and a teacher who would all say drought always negatively effects a plant. Makes them weaker and more susceptible to pests and disease. I see the study above. But I counter that study with literally thousands of years of studies all showing hugely negatively effected plants and trees from drought. You can even see a drought year on tree rings because the tree grows less. It doesn't suddenly get stronger because of the drought.

I think I can see where you are coming from Moony.

I would explain it this way (just my 2 cents), that under the duress of drought, the plant adjusts itself to cope, to become more resilient to the lack of available water, and it does this by making more oil/resin to presumably slow down it's water loss. And the result is, or can be, more oily sticky potent buds. This happened to me inadvertently, when I grew a plant in a small ceramic pot that would heat up in the hot sun, every day in summer the plant was wilted at the end of the day. It's sugar leaves appeared like they'd been given several coats of varnish. It came from bag seed that was adequate at best but remains the most potent I have grown.

As another example of how living things adapt to environmental conditions. As a young man in my 20's, myself and another fellow backpacker bought an old yacht that had been caught/submerged/rudder bent on a Florida sand bar, we repaired it and then sailed it across the Atlantic to Europe. The skin on my hands on any normal day is I think pretty soft skin, but after 3 months of salt water and hauling ropes my palms were hard and like leather. I still ate food for nutrition etc, but my body changed to cope with the environment, which to me is what is occurring when drought application is applied to cannabis. I can understand your scepticism.
I'm going to go into this in further detail when I can after the baby sleeps tonight, but I want to add that I have seen it for myself and smoked it for myself. This isn't some heresy I'm spitting out...I wouldn't mention it or feel so adamantly towards this if I didn't see it for my own eyes. I understand it is a difficult concept to grasp, at first. I guarantee you it will all make sense once you have the information in front of you.

Back
Top Bottom