Drug Czar pick's Stepson Charged with Marijuana

Ms. RedEye

420 Support
420 Staff
President Obama's nominee for drug czar, Seattle Police Chief Gil Kerlikowske, on Wednesday said his family has experienced firsthand the "human suffering" of drug abuse, but did not mention his adult stepson now being held without bail in a Florida jail.

Mr. Kerlikowske said the success of the nation's drug control efforts are "largely dependent" on its ability to decrease demand, especially among young people, and thanked the Obama White House for promising to include local police in that effort.

"Our nation's drug problem is one of human suffering. And as a police officer, but also in my own family, I have experienced the effects that drugs can have on our youth, our families and our communities," Mr. Kerlikowske, a 36-year law enforcement veteran, said when accepting the nomination.

Mr. Kerlikowske's 39-year-old stepson, Jeffrey, was arrested last month for a parole violation and faced misdemeanor marijuana-related drug charges in 2006 and 1998.

Under Mr. Kerlikowske's leadership, Seattle police drug policy has focused more on treatment and intervention than on drug arrests, which have declined since he became chief in 2000.

Mr. Obama removed the czar post - with the official title head of the Office of National Drug Control Policy - from his Cabinet. Former President George W. Bush had elevated the post to the Cabinet level.

The White House said the Cabinet designation was not necessary since Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. has worked on drug policy for decades and will advise the president, with the drug czar having access to them both.

Former Seattle Police Chief Norm Stamper, a drug policy reform activist, said he was relieved Mr. Biden and Mr. Kerlikowske avoided the term "war on drugs," which he described as "folly."

In 2003, Mr. Kerlikowske opposed a voter initiative calling for the policing and prosecution of marijuana crimes to be ranked as the lowest priority for the department. It passed and, Mr. Stamper said, Mr. Kerlikowske was a "faithful interpreter of the law."

Mr. Kerlikowske, 59, was named as Seattle's police chief in 2000. He came from the Justice Department's Office of Community Oriented Policing Services, working with then-Deputy Attorney General Eric H. Holder, Jr., who is now attorney general.

Jeffrey Kerlikowske was arrested last month for violating probation from a July 2007 felony battery charge and the two drug-related charges on his record. The violation was for not properly reporting his work hours and for not being in his home at the proper time, a joint review of court records by the Florida Sun-Sentinel and The Washington Times found.

Before the nomination, administration officials would not comment on Jeffrey Kerlikowske's arrest, first reported by the blog Web of Deception. Mr. Kerlikowske also declined comment.

Among the charges from Florida agencies were marijuana possession and distribution charges, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, theft, cruelty to animals and larceny, according to police officials and public records.

Jeffrey Kerlikowske, who appears to have been adopted as a child by Mr. Kerlikowske during a previous marriage, was arrested Feb. 27 for a violation on a warrant related to an original conviction of felony battery in Broward County, Fla., said a spokeswoman for the Martin County, Fla., sheriff's office.

In June 2007, after pleading no contest to battery, he was sentenced to one year and one day in state prison, to be followed by two years of drug-offender probation and an additional year of regular probation.

The drug charges included possession of 20 grams or less of cannabis in 2006 and distributing marijuana in 1998, both misdemeanors in Florida.

News Hawk: MsRedEye: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Washington Times
Author: Christina Bellantoni. Researchers Clark Eberly and John Haydon contributed to this report.
Copyright: 2009 The Washington Times, LLC
Contact: Washington Times - Politics, Breaking News, US and World News - Contact Us
Website: Washington Times - Drug czar pick's stepson charged with marijuana

its always bad news when someone is punished for using Cannabis
as for kerlikowske, who knows? time will tell.

yes I agree, though if the guy has a sympathetic position because of someone in his family getting caught up in the BS drug war there may be an upside to it.

Seattle members, what do you think of Obama's pick?

Time will tell. I thought when I saw old Billy boy playing the sax that we where going to put all this behind us but I was way wrong. I never guess the right person to be voted off the island either so....

Now I see that they want to make it illegal to grow your own food, so how many hidden grow ops does that mean?

This is all conjecture because the so called Czar is not going to make any sort of legislative difference on our plight. The best chance we all have right now is the strangle hold the War on Drugs is having on California and every other state that spends BILLIONS of dollars fighting marijuana like it was the plague. Once the research is blasted all over the news with the words PROHIBITION and how much money the industry produces that the FEDS lose due to the prohibition it will be a different story. Hell, here in Illinois we are going to have medicinal herb soon. I spoke with 2 Senators in the last week who are calling us back! There is the Global Marijuana March in May so everyone needs to get EVERYONE they know to attend and call their local representatives to get this shit going. Fuck the drug czar and the rest of the beurocrats in Washington. If the states make enough noise they have no choice but to let them decide if this devil weed is safe enough for them to tax the fuck out of it.

Taxing it too oblivion is not going to be the answer either. Just getting out of the criminalization of it ought to save the gov tonnes of $$$, but issuing their own currency is really the best answer, and not paying interest to private banking cartels that run the $$$system in the USA, like the way it used to be before 1913.

Cheers,
Maxx

I think Gil is probably one of the better choices that Obama could make. Atleast Gil has personal knowledge about the issue. And maybe he understands ,like Norm, that its a health issue not a legal issue.

Back
Top Bottom