Drug Testing Pitched

Stoner4Life

A rumor that De Soto USD 232 would implement random student drug testing at the high school level gave the principals an idea.

At Monday's board meeting, De Soto High School Principal Dave Morford and Mill Valley High School Principal Joe Novak asked the board to consider a task force or study committee to explore the idea of random drug testing for students involved in extracurricular activities.

Novak said although a rumor the school would implement the plan this year was not true, it made him think about the possibility.

"( The rumor ) sent a shock wave through our kids that was good to see," he said. "When it came out that we were just looking at it, there was a sigh of relief."

Board member Bill Waye said that if students were to undergo random drug testing, he wanted to see that employees had to meet the same standards.

"I don't have any objections to keeping drugs out of the school, and I hear exactly what you are saying," Waye said. "I would like at the same time that we get serious information about at least drug testing for employees."

Superintendent Sharon Zoellner said administrators had discussed a policy of drug testing for new district employees.

Novak and Morford said their concern about drug use at school had escalated in recent years. Novak said school resource officers were a great help. Mill Valley also has unannounced visits from officers with drug-sniffing dogs two or three times a year, she said.

"I'm glad we haven't found anything," Novak said. "Unfortunately over the years zero tolerance has taken a new twist. In its essence it was probably originally a deterrent for high school kids because they really thought they could get caught by word of mouth. That really is beginning to wane."

Both principals researched random drug testing programs used in other schools. The districts in Scottsbluff, Neb., and El Dorado have two such programs. Morford said although courts have not upheld random drug testing of all students, they have upheld testing of students involved in activities because while education is considered a right, school activities are considered a privilege.

A recent opinion from Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas stated that random drug testing of students in school activities was a "reasonably effective means of addressing school drug use."

Novak said programs against drugs and alcohol were losing effectiveness against peer pressure. Even facing punishment or suspension from school activities hasn't served as a deterrent, he said.

NewsHawk: Stoner4Life - 420 Magazine
Source: De Soto Explorer, The
Pubdate: Thu, 05 Oct 2006
Author: Melissa Shuman
Copyright: 2006 The De Soto Explorer

Back
Top Bottom