Dry Ice Hash Question

Southerncough

Greetings all!
I was wondering if you could decarb flower before putting it through a dry ice extraction process (i.e. shaking it in a bubble bag with some dry ice over a clean surface).
I have some bags that a buddy gave me and Mrs Cough is a cardiac patient who can't smoke, vape, and REALLY has to keep oil consumption to a minimum, she's very wary about coconut oil, canna butter, etc.
I've been giving her decarb in capsules but exploring other options.
Was thinking decarbed kief that she could sprinkle on ANYTHING might be interesting.
Thoughts?

I do not see any problems of decarb before dry ice. I would just try a small amount first to see if it comes out the way you wanted it to.

I've made hash with dry lots of times. But I'm not familiar with decarbing much. IMO I'd do some good research before cooking it. For the dry ice process to work you want the least amount of damage to the trich heads. I'm guessing if thrichs are cooked they will become brittle and heads will be dropping long before using the dry ice. But it's just my guess

Worth a try. Do the resin glands melt and deform at decarb temps though? The whole method of collecting hash relies on the trichomes being able to separate and strain through/collect in a mesh.

Whereas decarb afterwards isn’t a problem.

I would decarb after. Personally. I do water hash not dry ice but similar enough.

If you decarb before, the bud turns to powder once it starts tumbling. If you decarb after it's a much smaller volume of material so it's a bit easier and it smells less.

Thanks all, that's what I was wondering about the trichs being too damaged.
Also, if i decarb the kief after extracting would it just melt into a sticky film or remain loose powder form?
Hmmm...
Also like the idea of using ice water because I've got that at home!

It depends how much you heat it. Higher grade versions of hash don’t need heat to stick together. Lower grade or coarser batches usually need warming to get it to glom into hash. I heat the most stubborn batches up to around 150°C/300°F which happens to be exactly decarb temps. This is way hotter than typical heating/pressing methods that @Rich Farmer may have in mind. Once it gets to this heat it browns, starts to vape off a bit, melts and gets sticky, and presumably decarbs as well. Stone three or four birds with one stone or however that expression goes.

Actually I still have this batch sitting in the jar I’ll go get a pic.

Could use a little more polishing...

Unless your doing something very different to make your "hash" there shouldn't be any heat in the process.

Opposite really, cold is King when sieving. Need those trichome heads nice and brittle so they snap off rather than bending or tearing.

After the sieving there's a handful of ways to dry it, some folks do a freezer and stuff but I just leave mine on blotter screens and a sheet of cardboard. Use a paper towel and a second screen to press all the water out, usually takes overnight and it's smokable. Some people go back through and grate/microplane and then sift again back into a powder, I don't bother.

Once it's dry I use my siligloves to work it into Temple balls by hand. A lot of folks use warm water in a glass bottle and roll it flat before balling it up, but body heat and friction is enough. The warm water isn't enough for decarb though.

I could be wrong as I'm kinda confused on the whole hash thing but from what I understand hash is dark and clumped together usually by heat and pressure like from hand rubbing. Proper hash looks like weazys balls above and the "hash" from dry ice/ice water is really high grade kief? That you can eat the dark stuff and feel effects but I think after a few months it descarbs on it's own too? I really am not sure though.

If you use heat & pressure to make the kief from dry ice or ice water extraction into hash, isnt it decarbed and ready to eat?
If your referring to rosin the ? Is no the press doesn't decarb it while pressing . you need to stick in oven at 230deg. For 20-30min. Then your good to go.

Hash can be any color, strain and oxidation are the two largest contributing factors to the color. Temperature and light also do to a degree. Green is from plant material and that's bad as far as I'm concerned. I don't want any green coloring in mine if it can be avoided.

The plant material causes it to have a chalky texture when trying to form it into balls, it also holds onto moisture a lot longer than the wax coated trichomes do. Anything with plant material won't dab cleanly. 5 star hash is dabbable.

If I can't get the ball of hash to stick together in a homogenous ball using body heat I don't wanna smoke it, so it gets run through an everclear extraction and after winterization it's nicely dabbable.

It’s all really the same thing Rich. Whichever way you process it, it’s just trichomes stuck together. The hash I’ve made with water or with dry sift ends up being the same thing. Heat/warmth is often used to shape it, but usually not to the point of decarb temps. Heating it also drives out moisture so it sticks better.

Yes weed and hash naturally decarbs over time. We used to eat weed and hash regularly, decades before anyone ever heard of decarbing. If someone argues that hash won’t have an effect unless it’s been been decarbed in the oven first- just tell them to eat a couple grams and then come back and argue.

Definitely heard of people eating hash but didnt really understand the process. thanks weazy!

If your looking for edibles without oil though @SweetSue has been playing with ground up cannabis dust.

Thanks, since the patent is unable to smoke looking into edible alternatives that don't involve a LOT of fat (per cardiologist's orders).
We've been avoiding excess butter and oil lately, which she would need a lot of to cope with her high tolerance and pain levels.

Someone else was eating the little budlets dried but not decarbed. I think the idea was it should treat inflammation better and supposed to help digestive health. It was in a sweetsue thread as well.

Cool, we've been grinding up decarbed bud and putting it in capsules for a while but sometimes it can take hours upon hours for her to feel any relief.
Sometimes not until the next morning.
Curious if decarbed bubble hash could work faster.

Back
Top Bottom