Dry your buds in the freezer

Ed Rosenthal recomends freeze drying. The cold keeps the terpentines fresher. The freezer connected to your fridge is frost free! Meaning it has a built in evaporator that draws out all moisture! The bud dries slowly without loosing the potency you would if you are drying in above 65 degree temps.

I have tried this and am very happy with the results.

You should let your buds thaw out before you use them then.

The one disadvantage to this is that freezing the buds makes it easier to dislodge trichs. That's how we make hash after all. Less trichs means less potency.

Trichs do not fall off when they are frozen. They will thaw out and remain on the plant. So your potency argument does not have merrit.

acer i read the same book and was wondering if anyone out here uses that method?

I have done it on my last harvest and am going to do on my next.

If you already an area to dry your plants that is less than 65 degrees this won't be of much benefit. However. If you .....like me, do not have an area to dry your plants less than 65 degrees... this is a great way to go.

Ed says to dry for a few days first till just the outside of the buds are dry. Then to put in the freezer till the stems of the buds snap. At that point do you put the buds in the mason jars for storage.

This is exactly what I did on my last harvest and my buds are perfectly cured. Perfect moisture! The buds crumble and yet are still moist! Excellent Smell!! Connoisseur Quality Bud!!! Perfect!!! :tokin:

I just pulled these buds out of my mason jar. They are white widow max from my last grow. They were dried in my freezer at home. In my opinion they are perfectly dried. You do not need to have a grinder. They crumble perfectly, yet are still slightly moist... They taste awesome in the vaporizor!!

12-29-10_023.JPG

Ed Rosenthal recomends freeze drying. The cold keeps the terpentines fresher. The freezer connected to your fridge is frost free! Meaning it has a built in evaporator that draws out all moisture! The bud dries slowly without loosing the potency you would if you are drying in above 65 degree temps.

I have tried this and am very happy with the results.

What kid of bag did you store your buds in ?

I was thinking about putting buds directly onto the wine fridge rack to dry after harvest and trip to keep the terps and the bud closest to being live without using the freezer. 60F/30% is what my wine fridge is currently running before loaded down. I am going to try a few different methods and will update results once completed.

As a side note, I own an Air Conditioning computer and fully understand the refrigeration cycle. This being said I do not foresee why using a fridge with a compressor and evaporator would not work. I can elaborate if anyone is interested. I currently keep all my flower in sealed Tupperware’s in my fridge and it makes even the most dried out flowers enjoyable once hydrated. I know people will argue this with me until they are blue in the face, but I believe cold is the only way to go. I collect fine wine and cigars, all need to have strict temp and humidity controls, I do not see why cannabis should be treated any differently.

For people who have patience and an appreciation for what they are consuming, from a wine and cigar standpoint, their is a significant difference between a product that has been handled correctly throughout its lifetime vs a product that has been handled improperly throughout its lifetime.

I would love to continue this conversation with anyone who has constructive feedback or experience in the subject.

Thanks!

This being said I do not foresee why using a fridge with a compressor and evaporator would not work. I can elaborate if anyone is interested.
Welcome to the group. The best way to dry comes up a lot in the discussions.

You might be interested in this long running thread discussing the very topic of a low and slow drying in a refrigerator similar to what you have brought up. Click on the link right below and go to the first page of one popular thread.
https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/drziggys-low-and-slow-drying-maximizing-your-harvest.366783/

I cut, trim, wash and dry the excess water off and then put my harvests into a brown paper grocery bag. That goes into the fridge for 5 to 15 days. Then into canning jars for the cure.

Back
Top Bottom