Drying and Potency

Tejas

Does the drying process increase the potency of the thc?

I just harvested my first grow and had to try smoking some of the bud before it is dried and it didn't really do much to me. I have continued to "rush" dry some outside in the shed and it seemed better, stronger.

Can anyone explain what happens during the drying/curing process?

Thanks and good growing!

During the drying process,you want some of the organics to degrade. The unwanted organics such as glucose, chlorophyll, and many other accessory pigments the plant has ( xanthrophyll, etc. ), and probably many many others organics. The trichomes are whats getting you high. As it dries and cures, and a pre-cursor cannabinoid converts to the actual THC, so its necessary for the conversion, which makes a lot more sense that's why when its dried, its more potent.

Doesn't seem like THC degrades very quickly either. Which is good news.

Vaporizers are a much cleaner alternative, and with the slow-sun exposure method you could be getting high as hell 3 hours after the harvest. It could still be cured too. There is no doubt curing is important.

Thanks y'all, so it's not my imagination that its getting better. I'm not trying to rush it, only understand it and sample a bit to keep me from having to buy any. I also find it getting stickier as I pinch a piece off....mmmm

I appriciate the info. Thanks again.

Thanks Relaxed Lee and seedback.

I'd like to get a vaporizer, but can't afford until business/economy have a little comeback.

Yea, I plan on putting them in a nice big gallon glass jar that I have. I can't wait to see that pretty picture....a gallon jar full of bud. I may split some up into a couple of jars; one for long term curing and one for my smoking storage.

I cleaned out my closet today and performed some needed maintenance. I have 2 bag seed females and the stem from the previously harvested plant with one branch on it. The closet is nice and clean and ready for another grow. This second grow is more of using what i have right now because i haven't bought any seeds yet. They are in soil, under cfl lighting. My previous was hempy pots in vermiculite/perlite mix. I'm still in learning mode, so its fun to try different things and see how they effect the plants.

Good day to all!

I like to sample my buds starting about a month before harvest. I check the trichomes on the lower branches that don't get much light and won't develop into thicker stickier buds. I take these branches off, manicure them & remove the leaves, cut them so each bud has about 6" of stem attached, then fold them up in a piece of tablet paper, fold it closed all around, and put it on the top of my gas hot water heater for at least 24 hrs. This way, it's not completely dry but more like a cured bud that is soft & sticky. It burns nicely all the way down to nothing but white ash. I use low nute levels so the buds don't get heavy with fertilizers and dry/burn clean. They still smell like hay & chlorophyll but they smoke nicely, just don't have the flavor & aroma yet. Trichomes are usually 90% clear & 10% cloudy so they work nicely too.

This way, I can sample the fruit of my efforts prior to the serious official harvest of the big buds & colas. Full harvest I hang them for 7-10 days then cure them in a 2 gal glass container with a hygrometer. I cure to 62-65% humidity making for an extremely smooth smoking & fragrant bud when cured this way.

:thumb:

I like using glass jars to cure in. Man does it ever make your smoke taste sweet and a much longer lasting buzz.

Just a side note : have had some fresh harvest in wide mouth jars for a week now. They smelled pretty rank and skunky when I put them in. After a few days of opening and sampling the smoke these little darlings seem to get you more buzzed and they now smell like oranges or tangerines. AMAZING. Curing the final stage is awesome in glass. Grow forward and prosper.:

Agreed with the last 2!
do a good final flush &
its amazing how the Glass jar method improves all aspects of the experience.
1 of the better tips picked up here.
Rock on Smoker,
Salg

Back
Top Bottom