Drying & Curing Question

Hi, when I know for sure my fresh bud is dry to say 60% and it's in jars. Is that the end of burping? I'd like to know if burping is for rh control? Or is it a factor in the cure?
Do you not use Bovedas?
I burp for three weeks after jarring, but was told I don’t have to with Boveda 62s. I still do though. I feel like it’s starts getting a grassy smell if I don’t.
@InTheShed says two weeks, burp twice a day, then two weeks once a day I believe. He can correct me. Lol!

Burping serves a couple of purposes. First is that it steadily lowers the humidity in the buds down where we want it (some folks like 62, some like 58). At the same time, you are airing out the jars during the start of the cure so there will be fresh oxygen in there for the bacteria that are munching down the chlorophyll. They're not anaerobic so they need oxygen.

If you had a room that was always 62% RH with cool temps, you could hang your buds in there forever. But since hardly anyone does, we burp down to 62% and jar when the bulk of the chlorophyll is gone.

BTW, Bovedas are for long term storage, so don't add them to the jars until the jars are already in the low 60s and you're ready to seal them up. They're an insurance policy.

two weeks, burp twice a day, then two weeks once a day I believe. He can correct me. Lol!
Sorry, missed that. I burp twice a day for a week and then once a day for a week. This is after hanging for as close to a week as I can get given the ambient RH. If I have to jar them earlier, then the twice a day burping gets extended.

So basically I'm not sealing them up until three weeks after chop day.

Sorry, missed that. I burp twice a day for a week and then once a day for a week. This is after hanging for as close to a week as I can get given the ambient RH. If I have to jar them earlier, then the twice a day burping gets extended.

So basically I'm not sealing them up until three weeks after chop day.
I couldn’t remember how it was. The past couple harvest weren’t massive so I’ve been cutting corners. Lol.

I gave my cousin the entire AK that foxtailed on me. He wanted to make hash, but ended up making butter from it.
1C819138-B912-410D-8056-F9CBD0A16D33.jpeg

Burping serves a couple of purposes. First is that it steadily lowers the humidity in the buds down where we want it (some folks like 62, some like 58). At the same time, you are airing out the jars during the start of the cure so there will be fresh oxygen in there for the bacteria that are munching down the chlorophyll. They're not anaerobic so they need oxygen.

If you had a room that was always 62% RH with cool temps, you could hang your buds in there forever. But since hardly anyone does, we burp down to 62% and jar when the bulk of the chlorophyll is gone.

BTW, Bovedas are for long term storage, so don't add them to the jars until the jars are already in the low 60s and you're ready to seal them up. They're an insurance policy.
I can understand that Shed. The drying room stayed 59% 65 F for 7 days. Lucky, that almost never happens. I've been vac sealing some without a boveda and getting good shortish term like 4 months. I can't seem to get a test to last longer :p . Thanks
Edit; I'd have to say I haven't thought of the buggers needing air. My weed's going to taste yet better? I'm in!

A vacuum seal should be permanent, no? I just keep mine in well-closed jars with a B62 and they stay at that RH for more than a year. I've got some 18 months in jars that's still 62% RH (so that's where all of my hygrometers are!).
The gauge in the jar stayed steady for the 4 or 5 months. I use bovedas too, if my drying goes berserk. And it does.

I feel like the ‘burping’ routine might be a myth, but without the technology to test changes in the air in the jar it’s just subjective/opinion. If nothing else it’s a very misleading term.
The only way I can think of to test it properly would be to test the oxygen levels in the jar over time and see what changes are taking place. Does any other dried goods industry ‘burp’ their containers? Maybe they do, I don’t know.

I tend to just jar it and leave it after it gets to the right RH. I haven’t been any able to detect any issues with cure, and only smell good things, and hear good things from friends. I’m not seeing any evidence at all anywhere along the line. It would be interesting to hear any actual science.

Could be biased though since I also can’t imagine having time to open and close all my jars every day anyway. :laughtwo:

I feel like the ‘burping’ routine might be a myth, but without the technology to test changes in the air in the jar it’s just subjective/opinion. If nothing else it’s a very misleading term.
The only way I can think of to test it properly would be to test the oxygen levels in the jar over time and see what changes are taking place. Does any other dried goods industry ‘burp’ their containers? Maybe they do, I don’t know.

I tend to just jar it and leave it after it gets to the right RH. I haven’t been any able to detect any issues with cure, and only smell good things, and hear good things from friends. I’m not seeing any evidence at all anywhere along the line. It would be interesting to hear any actual science.

Could be biased though since I also can’t imagine having time to open and close all my jars every day anyway. :laughtwo:
That's where I was coming from. That way is fine and tasty but as Shed mentioned the fresh o2 in the jar makes sense. I don't know him to spread opinions without giving or remembering a source. I'm going to have a test. My #1 appleberry is jarred without burping. I'm starting burping with #2 appleberry today. Let's see if I can tell.

Thanks. I’m interested to hear the results.

This reminds me, on a somewhat related note. Several months ago I jarred up a three way cure test of -overdried bud, vs rehydrated bud, vs properly dried bud. I haven’t been back to test the results but should dig out those jars soon.

Thanks. I’m interested to hear the results.

This reminds me,’ok ansomewjat related note. Several months ago I jarred up a three way cure test of -overdried bud, vs rehydrated bud, vs properly dried bud. I haven’t been back to test the results but should dig out those jars soon.
I'd like to hear about that! Field testing is the best :p !

Yeah Weasel, what ever happened to that? Enquiring minds want to know!

I don't know of any other dried good that relies on bacteria to improve the product over time, so I'm not sure there's a comparison. I also don't know how much O2 is used up during the first two weeks of drying, but it would seem that fresh air to replace the green smell would be a good idea.

I've gone to burping in turkey bags now because it's a lot easier than loads of jars. Jars are just for long term storage here.

I know my weed starts smelling like grass if I don’t burp them for at least two weeks. I may have forgotten a to do it a day or to in the past.

What bacteria? I don’t see any.
jk. :)

I’m away from home most of the time and kept forgetting to make time for the dried bud experiment but will report on that when I get the chance. I think I’ll also give otter’s experiment a try as well if I end up at home for an extended period, so I can be on burping duty... Do I have to rock the jars and coo to them as well?

Back
Top Bottom