Drying in the high humidity of South Florida

Tropic Thunder

420 Member
Hey, friends!
I'm beginning to harvest my hybrids and looking for any tips on drying the girls in the high humidity of South Florida from folks with much more experience than myself.
I have always read that the optimal conditions for drying are around 50% RH and a temp in the low 70s - which is almost exactly the temp and humidity inside my air-conditioned home.
However, when I recently brought a "test" bud into the house, it became bone dry within 36 hours. I'm thinking that going from the outdoor weather of 90 degrees with 90% RH into a room with 50% RH/75 degrees is too extreme a change for the poor things.
So now I am drying the crop in my (uninsulated) workshop with a little window-shaker AC unit. With an oscillating floor fan to help circulation, I have gotten the room down to 75 degrees/68% RH.
My question is: Are those numbers sufficiently low enough to do a good dry? They have been hanging upside down now for 4 days, and are still somewhat "spongey", but seem to be coming along pretty well, so I'm not panicking just yet . . . .
My second option may be to go a few more days in the shop, then bring them inside the house for a 24-hour finish before jarring them.
Any advice and suggestions from others who dry in the subtropics would be much appreciated - thanks!

Attachments

• shop bud.jpeg
    shop bud.jpeg
    470 KB · Views: 114
Fl the heat is killer I’m also in the sun shine st it’s always a pain to get ur humility right but I grow inside don’t have the answer but I’m shure Someone will chime in soon

That seems ok to me. I dry at 70-75% mostly, they hang for 10-15 days. Then another 15 in brown bags. Then jarred and burped weekly for 2 weeks probably and then they are done. Air conditioner dries way too quickly.

Edit; @Jack420 has a point. My temps never exceed 22-23 degrees celcius.

Drying/curing the hardest part of any grow. The numbers you posted (68%/75) are fine...and slower is fine...I usually hang mine in similar conditions for 5-7 days minimum and then final trim, dry for another 3-5 days, and then into jars (and burping). If you took the bud that you thought dried too fast and stuck it in a sealed mason jar overnight, you'll probably be surprised how moist it feels in the morning. I have also begun to cut up the buds so they get more uniformly dry. I have played with trying to keep the buds from overdrying and lost the crop to mold...a total bummer, but a real risk. Don't use direct air to dry your buds either. :goodluck:

Drying/curing the hardest part of any grow. The numbers you posted (68%/75) are fine...and slower is fine...I usually hang mine in similar conditions for 5-7 days minimum and then final trim and then into jars. If you took the bud that you thought dried too fast and stuck it in a sealed mason jar overnight, you'll probably be surprised how moist it feels in the morning. I have also begun to cut up the buds so they get more uniformly dry. I have played with trying to keep the buds from overdrying and lost the crop to mold...a total bummer, but a real risk. Don't use direct air to dry your buds either. :goodluck:
Yeap I’ve had mold also omg makes u want to throw up cuz all that work in time is gone out the window

A frost free refrigerator works great. Just trim, and put the branches in a vase or vases. After a week or so, remove bud and put into brown paper bags for a week or so. Then they are ready for putting in jars.

Back
Top Bottom